Is a Sony F3 worthwhile buying in 2015??

IronFilm

Does a Sony F3 still make sense to people in 2015?  Because have you seen on eBay lately just how cheap they're going? :-o You can pick up a Sony F3 for similar pricing to a new BMCC. 

The expensive SxS media puts me off, but this appears to be an easy way to avoid that expense:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/786662-REG/Sonnet_SD_SXS_E34_SDHC_Adapter_for_SxS.html

For the only extra grand or so over the cost of a Panasonic AF100 or Sony FS100 it would seem like a Sony F3 is worth it if you're looking for an older large sensor camcorder on the ultra cheap. 

(as I've been seriously looking into getting an AF100 for only a grand, just so I can have an "impressive" pro looking camera to impress the brides/guests at wedding shoots, with the rest of my kit being 1x GH4 + 1x GH2 + 2x GH1. I know images is all that should matter, and appearances shouldn't matter, but in real life first impressions do matter. If a few extra hundred dollars to get an AF100 over GH2 with the same image quality, then leads to more bookings, that it is money very well spent. But then this logic dangerously leads me down the path to spend even more on a Sony F3... as then I could use the F3 on serious jobs too)

For context, I also own a kitted out BMPCC (that I love love) but it can look like a glorified smartphone to some people :-/ (until they see the images produced! But again, first impressions do matter and last)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Whoa... why do you own *three*?

How do you think it is better than a C300?

How do you find the weight of the F3, it makes even the C300 look small, which concerns me (as when I've used the C300 I find its weight a little daunting at times to handhold). 

because I use them a lot on jobs where we need 3 cameras or more.

Has 10 bit codec output umcompressed and better highlight handling - about 13 stops to my eyes vs 12 stops on c300

and well motion feels better to me.

C300 has nicer skintones out of the gate and also has more resoliving detail - but still F3 is a steal right now.  And it's better for doc when you need the extra dynamic range in the highlights for doc-like conditions.

Came across this interesting comparison from an owner of both an F3 and a RED Scarlet (which would be waaaaaay outside my price range to consider a Scarlet!):

http://timurcivan.com/2012/04/an-examination-of-sony-f3-and-red-scarlet-a-direct-comparison/

<<The biggest problem i have is deciding between the two cameras. The RED is simply razor sharp, has a punchy slick look, and has the easiest onset ergonomics and workflow. The footage is 16bit 4K RAW. I mean, the camera is the size of a Hassleblad and gives you amazing images.

The F3 on the other hand, is night vision, which makes for simpler indie shooting on lower budgets where you dont have access to bigger units. It also has more useable dynamic rage, and its color is in my opinion the best in digital right now short of the Alexa. ( Though REDColor3 is REALLLLLY good!) Case in point, in the skin tone test you just watched, the color of the wall in the F3 footage is completely accurate. Thats exactly what my wall looks like, but looks quite magenta in the RED footage. If I fight the magenta with a bit of green, the skin tone gets thrown out of whack. This green/magenta balancing act is a definite pitfall of the RED, even with REDColor3.

This real issue is that it comes down to image quality. I find myself, shooting films and documentary on the F3, but commercials, music videos, and corporate spots on the RED. When it needs to look natural, i use the F3. When it needs to look crisp and slick, RED.>>

This guy's logic is in a similar-ish headspace to where I am at too (C100 vs BMCC vs F3):
http://www.craigspenceley.com/dr-dynamic-range-love-chose-buy-sony-f3/

They're too expensive for my tastes! (I'll be using my Nikon F Mount set of Rokinon Cine DS lenses)

Unless they're found for a fraction of the cost. 

Also apparently Sony's first generation of PL lenses had quite a few issues, so I'd avoid them unless theyre going dirt cheap. 

But their current new version on sale at B&H are greatly improved, and one of the best bang for buck PL lens sets you can find!

Hi what's your opinion for the three sony prime kit lens that comes with the F3?

​preowned they can be had for under a grand a lens.  great value.  from tests I've seen they look great.  Still they're not gonna give you any more of a cinema look than typical modern low end zeiss like compact primes.  I'd sooner spend the money on a 35 50 and 85mm cooke s2 remounted to PL.  

IMO, out of the box the F3 gives images pretty similar to the A7s out of the box (the A7s having the advantage of the incredible low light performance). Pair it with an external recorder for the 10-bit output and you can get very nice images out of it. In my opinion, it's quite similar looking to the A7s. Essentially, imagine if the A7s had a 10-bit out via HDMI (as well as lower ISO in Slog, but at the trade-off of low light performance).

They aren't incredibly future proof, but if you're happy shooting 1080p, they can give you quite a good image for an incredibly reasonable price.

The Sony PL primes are stupidly cheap, and are actually not bad glass - I'd say they're about on par with Zeiss CP2s (although if I had a choice, I prefer the CP2s).  

IMO, out of the box the F3 gives images pretty similar to the A7s out of the box (the A7s having the advantage of the incredible low light performance). Pair it with an external recorder for the 10-bit output and you can get very nice images out of it. In my opinion, it's quite similar looking to the A7s. Essentially, imagine if the A7s had a 10-bit out via HDMI (as well as lower ISO in Slog, but at the trade-off of low light performance).

They aren't incredibly future proof, but if you're happy shooting 1080p, they can give you quite a good image for an incredibly reasonable price.

The Sony PL primes are stupidly cheap, and are actually not bad glass - I'd say they're about on par with Zeiss CP2s (although if I had a choice, I prefer the CP2s).  

Sony Pmw-F3L has a nicer image compared to A7s having used both camera, advantage of A7s though is of course low light, external resolution and full frame, but imo I think the Sony F3 is one of the best cameras that definitely flew under the radar.

The F3 has nicer skintones off the bat and less rolling shutter issues than the a7s.  Also it has less noise in its shadows and ergonomically - it's a pro cinema camera with xlrs, timecode in, etc.  I shot a feature with this guy.  I own 3 f3s.  At 3k, man that is a steal.

The F3 has nicer skintones off the bat and less rolling shutter issues than the a7s.  Also it has less noise in its shadows and ergonomically - it's a pro cinema camera with xlrs, timecode in, etc.  I shot a feature with this guy.  I own 3 f3s.  At 3k, man that is a steal.

Ummm... actually I ended up getting it for only US$1.2k! :-o
*AND* it comes with the absolutely fantastic Tilta baseplate with a lightweight dovetail and V mount battery plate. (just these parts are worth several hundred!)

So yes, I now possess my own personal F3! :-D

Here's a feature I shot on the Sony F3 - resolution aside - the color information is quite excellent - and you can make some really lovely stuff with it.

​Oh wow, I was just checking out that film last night! Didn't realise that is you. Got to LOVE the internet how it brings the world closer and allows me to talk directly to the guy who made it :-) Looking forward to seeing it on VoD/DVD when it comes out!

Ummm... actually I ended up getting it for only US$1.2k! :-o
*AND* it comes with the absolutely fantastic Tilta baseplate with a lightweight dovetail and V mount battery plate. (just these parts are worth several hundred!)

So yes, I now possess my own personal F3! :-D

How did you find that? I looked a while back and nothing less than 2300 came up. Jealous.