Samsung NX500 Firmware Update

ESGI Media

...Is available, if you have the camera you know how to get it.

1. Still Photo Enhancements:

Improvements to the overall Auto Focus:

Enhanced AF performance in low light condition
Enhanced AF performance in backlit and spot light
Enhanced AF performance in the corners when utilizing 16-50mm PZ lens
Enhanced Face Detection AF performance
Enhanced AF performance in movie mode
Added Zone AF mode
Increased the size of AF to 5 steps in AF  Area Size
Increased the Face Detection Area of the sensor
Includes 4 most popular Pro Suggest presets (Cinematic, Memories, Gorgeous night, and High Speed)
Added Selfie as Flipped  mode
The image is flipped to capture as in the preview.
Improved Selfie AF function in Timer mode.
Continuous AF is default in Selfie Timer.
Simplified EXIF data preview

2. Video Recording Enhancements:

Added Pro mode in movie quality and increased the bit rates for movie size and quality (up to 70Mbps)
Movie Recording Time changed to 25 minutes at FHD 60P/50P
Larger sensor read out data size with improved FHD quality up to 60P
Remains in Stand By mode after recording
1280x720 (120P) setting in the Movie Size Menu for easy access
Sound recording is available
Capture individual 4K frame forward & backward with precision
Embedded EXIF data in jpeg
Added NEW MF Responsiveness mode
(Capable of setting to Low, Medium, High focus angle in manual focus mode)

3. Overall fixed minor bugs

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Three lethal problems with this camera: 

1 -The almost s16 2.8x crop in 4K mode.

2 -The lack of a dedicated mode/button/setting to show you that crop. This is just, stupid, and sad. 

3 -The Lack of a microphone input (However, a beginner can solve that by simply attaching a >100$ Zoom H1 on the Hotshoe for MUCH better Audio anyway) 

I beg Sony, solve the first two by reintroducing the 2.5K S35 mode you had in the pre-production models Cinema5D and others tested. It looked absolutely fantastic, much better than the s16 4K images. Give is it as an extra choice in the menu as long as you apparently could do it. It would be ''the'' s35 cinema camera under 1000$, such a lovely image, much better than the 2.3x G7 4K or 1080p A6000/M3/D5500/T6s. It has great potential. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Does that mean less line skipping for 1080P, or is it just for slow motion, or what?

They say better 1080p in general. Better resolution, aliasing/moire, etc. At All frame rates up to 60p. I wouldn't expect much from it as a 1080p camera though, the old firmware and the nx1 (with the same new firmware claim) have A7/old 5D quality with aliasing and false colour and just bad overall, however, it strangely has no rolling shutter (5ms readout)

Three lethal problems with this camera: 

1 -The almost s16 2.8x crop in 4K mode.

​If you don't shoot wider than 40mm (which I rarely do), it's not that bad. Pop the 16mm pancake on there and go to work. There's always 1080p mode if you need a super shallow close-up or a quick wide shot. The color and contrast will match, so most audiences will never notice.

2 -The lack of a dedicated mode/button/setting to show you that crop. This is just, stupid, and sad. 

​It's quirky for sure, and easily fixable. Not sure why they didn't just put proper movie mode dials on these cameras if they're gunning so hard for our market. 

3 -The Lack of a microphone input (However, a beginner can solve that by simply attaching a >100$ Zoom H1 on the Hotshoe for MUCH better Audio anyway) 

​Not exactly a "lethal problem" when a beginner can solve it with a $100 accessory, is it? :P

I beg Sony, solve the first two by reintroducing the 2.5K S35 mode you had in the pre-production models Cinema5D and others tested.

Samsung may have run into other problems implementing that mode. We have no way of knowing if it's even possible with the final hardware package they settled on. That preproduction footage did look nice, though. 

It looked absolutely fantastic, much better than the s16 4K images.

​The cropped 4K image is actually really, really good. 4K of pixels gives about 2.5K of actual resolution, which is perfect for me--not to harsh, but gives you flexibility--and the rolling shutter is much improved over the NX1. Then again, I don't have the violent hatred for the 2.3-2.8x crop sensor look that some EOSHDers seem to have. 

It would be ''the'' s35 cinema camera under 1000$, such a lovely image, much better than the 2.3x G7 4K or 1080p A6000/M3/D5500/T6s. It has great potential. 

​It certainly does, but I think that assessment is a little hyperbolic considering we only saw one very controlled video using that mode. I think the bigger obstacles to the NX500's adoption as THE cinema camera under $1000 is the codec (most people in this price range don't want the hassle of transcoding every single clip), the lack of headphone/mic jacks (for convenience and flexibility, not necessity), the inability to use peaking while recording 4K (apparently it uses too much processing power), and most importantly, the lack of a viewfinder. If they're going to go head to head with Sony on price, they need to deliver on the features too. 

They say better 1080p in general. Better resolution, aliasing/moire, etc. At All frame rates up to 60p. I wouldn't expect much from it as a 1080p camera though, the old firmware and the nx1 (with the same new firmware claim) have A7/old 5D quality with aliasing and false colour and just bad overall, however, it strangely has no rolling shutter (5ms readout)

Interesting. ​In my experience, it's a fair bit better than both the A7 and the 5D, but not quite up to snuff with the GX7/G7/A7S internal. Around the level of the A6000, which is perfectly fine for most work, especially if you have enough space to just step back a few paces and shoot 4K for the money shots. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes that's what's frustrating, they're easily fixable problems yet for some reason exist. The Video mode framing bug is absolutely weird, I have no idea how it passed on to production without then noticing this will annoy the hell out of video shooters. And the 2.7x crop is something I'm sure they can also address by implementing the 2.5K s35 back, I have high doubts hardware changes occurred in that period. What I am 90% sure of is that they had the capabability to do both, yet they chose to go with 4K for marketing reasons rather than engineering decisions. And they're not that wrong, I am sure 4K number will sell more cameras to the regular consumer vs 2.5K  and had it only had a 2.5K resolution it would have been considered inferior by the regular consumer to the other compact 4K cameras regardless of the window size. 

Also the peaking feature, I mean, if it works in stills live view in real time why wouldn't it work in video? I am sure this is a technical limitation rather than a mishap as it's also on the nx1, it's probably to do with the different readouts sent to from the sensor to the LCD in video mode vs. Photo mode. If they could do it I believe they just would have, no reason not to (unlike 2.5K and Movie mode crop). 

On a side note, the lack of a microphone input is a lethal omission from a consumer camera oriented at video and enthusiasts and pros as per Samsung, in fact, the other first two problems are mentioned are not ''lethal'' this would be the most lethal of all. It's fine for me though as a professional video shooter I rely on external sound recording anyway, just a hired a separate guy for sound even in my company to rest my mind about audio which always distracted me from creating the images. 

My experience is from the nx1 on 1080p, it's as soft as the 5D mkIII but with aliasing and a bit of false colour, not moire, just some colours that show up on edges of fine patterns (no 5D MKII or A7 rainbows). 1080p is good enough, but not something I'd but the nx1 for. The rolling shutter on it is a very impressive aspect though. Perhaps they squeezed even better 1080p from the nx100 vs the nx1, if the camera could do such lovely 2.5K why not downscale to 1080p with the same quality. 

H.265 is the near future (and actually present) I see it to be a non-issue since there are lots of great transcoding software, it's just another quick step, worth it for having a futuristic codec. Low-end consumers will disagree and will only be restricted to shooting at 1080p.

When I review or tell an opinion about a camera I speak for all users, if I had to speak for myself,

-personally: 

I don't care about all the other omissions I'll manage, the lack of EVF, I'll put a loup, the LCD is good enough for pulling focus without peaking I don't mind and if I do I'll put my small external monitor or old Zucoto EVF, the Movie preview mode, I'll get used to hitting the trash button before I frame, the microphone and headphone jacks, I record externally, the incompabtiable codec I'll transcode opon ingestion. 

Just remove the 2.7x crop factor somehow and I am a happy man, most probably by giving back the 2550x1440 s35 mode. 

it would be my camera for years to come, such a lovely image in a lovely size and mount. Just that small sensor aesthetic I personally hate, and hate isn't an easy word. I previously sold the 2.3x GH4 mainly due to the small sensor aesthetic, the harsh backgrounds coupled with super high sharpness is an entirely different aesthetic vs the easily creamed backgrounds and natural organic detail. Putting a 50mm 1.8 on a s35 and getting close for an epic closeup is an entirely different look from putting the same lens and going 5 meters back, or using staying where I am am and using the center of a wide angle deep DOF lens. I Acquired another used GH4 since I got a cheap/knock off speedbooster and voila, the image aesthetic is fixed. 

harsh backgrounds coupled with super high sharpness is an entirely different aesthetic vs the easily creamed backgrounds and natural organic detail.

​Those qualities aren't purely based on sensor size, but the encoding, processing, and the chip the camera uses. Just because a background has less blur doesn't make it harsh--in fact, the SLR Magic lenses for MFT have bar none the nicest bokeh I've ever seen in lenses. All of them. 

Putting a 50mm 1.8 on a s35 and getting close for an epic closeup is an entirely different look from putting the same lens and going 5 meters back, or using staying where I am am and using the center of a wide angle deep DOF lens.

​I don't know, Ebrahim. I have no problem getting super creamy bokeh at most distances with my SLR Magic 25mm at f/1.4-2.8, and that's on the Blackmagic Pocket. The background is less blurry, but it's still out of focus and not distracting. I'd also take a look at Mattias Burling's videos with the Pocket and Digital Bolex. Beautiful rendition of out of focus elements. 

Granted, that doesn't apply to the NX500. If it had an E-mount, no problem. Adapt M/43 or C-mount glass and go to town with this sensor size. But no lenses made for a 2.6x crop will fit on an NX mount. I understand how that change in aesthetic may bother some, but it's not a dealbreaker for me. No one in their right mind would use this as their A-cam anyway. I'm considering as my stills camera which I can also pull out when I want to do 4K or need a B-cam. For that, it definitely fits my needs. 

I don't think it's fair to slam Samsung for their motives when we have no way of knowing them. They may have discovered that the workload of 2.5K produced too much heat and had adverse effects on the longevity of the camera components. They have have had buffer or record time issues. We'll never know.

H.265 is the future, but it makes life difficult for the type of shooters eyeing this camera in the here and now. If it were an option alongside H.265, that would be one thing, but it's our only option. I don't like having to use dodgy third party applications to make my video usable, and all of them have different quirks and problems with their transcoding: Samsung's produces banding, ffmpeg changes the gamma and brightness, etc. So until it's addressed by major NLEs, I consider it a negative. 

I still don't consider the lack of a mic jack to be a total killer for enthusiasts. Most of them own Zooms or Tascams anyway, and lack of mic jack didn't kill the A6000's prospects by any means. 

"2 -The lack of a dedicated mode/button/setting to show you that crop. This is just, stupid, and sad."

"The Video mode framing bug is absolutely weird, I have no idea how it passed on to production without then noticing this will annoy the hell out of video shooters."

I am sorry, but there is a dedicated video mode button. And when in that mode, it shows the correct cropped image on the lcd. As long as you do not press the button again, you stay in video mode after each shot (that is what the new firmware changed) and always see the correct 4K view. It only reverts back to non-cropped view when you turn off the camera, and back on. Just press the button, and start shooting video with the correct view until you turn the camera off. No reason to be sad.

So, I already have a 1080p camera that I really like, but this summer I am in the market for an upgrade.... Price is a major issue. 

Until last night, I had my choice narrowed down to 3: BMPCC, Panasonic G7, or the FZ1000.

I am late to the Samsung party... Although the NX1 is a very capable cam, for the money, I would rather invest in a more tried and true camera system, until I saw some footage out of this little beast!!!  

The color reproduction is fantastic, even with the kit lens and the iq is very organic and filmic.

Of course, I agree about the 2.5K footage that was in the preproduction model... It looked effing incredible!!!  I really wish Canon or Nikon or Panasonic would come out with a lower end camera that offered 2K, I love the look it gives. I was so wanting 2K that I was pondering a gopro 4 silver with the ribcage modification, so I can use c-mount lenses.

Anyway, does anyone know... the bitrate of the 1080p, if MPEG streamclip works with the native file, of any good video samples with vintage lenses?

Thanks. 

"An LCD protector with the crop lines can easily fix the silly lack of in camera crop lines."

This is complete nonsense. Again, you press a button to get into video mode (once). You then see the crop mode on the lcd if you have set the video to shoot UHD. No need for an LCD protector, or any more complaints on this non-issue.

"An LCD protector with the crop lines can easily fix the silly lack of in camera crop lines."

This is complete nonsense. Again, you press a button to get into video mode (once). You then see the crop mode on the lcd if you have set the video to shoot UHD. No need for an LCD protector, or any more complaints on this non-issue.

Ok, thanks. Good news.  I didn't realize this was an option. 

Wait so that fix only works in UHD mode? What about regular 4K, 24p mode? 

Wait so that fix only works in UHD mode? What about regular 4K, 24p mode? 

​I do not understand why this is so difficult: you press a button to go into video mode. In that mode, the lcd shows exactly the relevant crop factor for the video mode you have chosen. For UHD, it is the 2.77 crop factor; for 1080, it is the normal APS-C crop factor; for 4K it is the relevant fov for that. It is not a "fix" or an "option"; it is video mode, showing you exactly what you will end up with for your shots. You want to shoot video - you push the button to go into video mode and shoot video. Just like "movie" mode on the GH3, GH4, except you have an independent dial to set the shooting you want (PASM) in video mode on the NX500.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

We're adressing the issue that existed in the nx500, where there was no dedicated video mode, meaning you go into photo mode which is s35 then you need to press Trashcan button to get into the corrrect video framing/crop. If it stopped there it would be fine, just an extra step, the problem was that each time you record a clip it reverted back to the s35 photo crop, so you had to press a button to get correct framing before each take and after performing any setting changes. 

Was that fixed with this new firmware? 

So, I already have a 1080p camera that I really like, but this summer I am in the market for an upgrade.... Price is a major issue. 

Until last night, I had my choice narrowed down to 3: BMPCC, Panasonic G7, or the FZ1000.

I am late to the Samsung party... Although the NX1 is a very capable cam, for the money, I would rather invest in a more tried and true camera system, until I saw some footage out of this little beast!!!  

​What are type of work do you do, and what are you looking to get out of your new camera? More detail? More resolution for cropping and stabilizing? Better colors? A more robust codec? RAW/10-bit? What camera are you coming from? 

The color reproduction is fantastic, even with the kit lens and the iq is very organic and filmic.

​I never took the NX500 seriously until I gave it a search on Vimeo. Holy crap is that a lot of image quality for the price. In a nice small package, too! Not to mention excellent stills for hybrid shooters. 

Of course, I agree about the 2.5K footage that was in the preproduction model... It looked effing incredible!!!  I really wish Canon or Nikon or Panasonic would come out with a lower end camera that offered 2K, I love the look it gives. I was so wanting 2K that I was pondering a gopro 4 silver with the ribcage modification, so I can use c-mount lenses.

​Unpopular opinion: I think the sweet spot for video resolution is somewhere between 2K and 4K. My favorite cameras in terms of detail rendering are the Blackmagic 2.5K and the Alexa 2.7/3.2K. It's more detailed and immersive than 1080p, but not distractingly or harshly so like 4K. We're already downsampling our sensors from larger MP counts--why not just aim for a slightly higher number? Surely 2.5K can't be that much harder than 1080p.