Promo Video shot on Nikon D750

Zach Ashcraft

I still see quite a bit of discussion and questions about the Nikon D750 here. I've had one for a few months and love it, though have never shared anything here I don't think. As a stills camera, its incredible. Makes the 5D3 (which I've owned and used plenty) obsolete in this regard, in my opinion. 

As a video camera, its great. Really nice image that holds up to grading quite well. I shot a lot of this in the flat profile, though some in the standard as well. Graded using Film Convert as a base and James Millers DeLuts to varying degrees. There isn't much of a narrative to this video, just an event recap video for the company I work for. Shot on Nikon 70-200 F4G (mostly), 35mm F/2D, 24mm F/2D + Cinevate Duzi v3 slider and some handheld action

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I still see quite a bit of discussion and questions about the Nikon D750 here. I've had one for a few months and love it, though have never shared anything here I don't think. As a stills camera, its incredible. Makes the 5D3 (which I've owned and used plenty) obsolete in this regard, in my opinion. 

As a video camera, its great. Really nice image that holds up to grading quite well. I shot a lot of this in the flat profile, though some in the standard as well. Graded using Film Convert as a base and James Millers DeLuts to varying degrees. There isn't much of a narrative to this video, just an event recap video for the company I work for. Shot on Nikon 70-200 F4G (mostly), 35mm F/2D, 24mm F/2D + Cinevate Duzi v3 slider and some handheld action

​Awesome work, Zach! How did the 750 perform in the field? Was the battery life adequate? How were the ergonomics? Any problems nailing focus without peaking or anything? 

Looks exactly like what it is, DSLR footage......

Poor dynamic range from clipped highlights to burnt blacks and macro blocking compression everywhere ......

Great edit though from how it was captured to delivered, the weak link is definitely the quality. An Arri, Red or even Blackmagic Pocket would have been much better.

Nice cut nice shots but I am not sure if D750 performs video better compared to much much cheaper Panasonic G6. In my oppinion G6 produces better "filmic" picture. This is a short promo by G6, and I am glat to choose this small beauty over Nikon and Canon:

Looks exactly like what it is, DSLR footage......

Poor dynamic range from clipped highlights to burnt blacks and macro blocking compression everywhere ......

Great edit though from how it was captured to delivered, the weak link is definitely the quality. An Arri, Red or even Blackmagic Pocket would have been much better.

All things our customers could care less about :) Worth noting that I went for a very contrasty and punchy look in the grade, so this isn't really the best just of dynamic range. ​Its certainly not the worlds greatest image, but its great for a 1080p DSLR in my opinion

Also, saying an Arri or Red would have been much better than a $1,500 DSLR is a bit of a no brainer honestly, but unfortunately we don't have that kind of money lying around. I would argue that the BMP would not have been better since it would not have held up in low light as well, and also offers no slow motion. 

​Awesome work, Zach! How did the 750 perform in the field? Was the battery life adequate? How were the ergonomics? Any problems nailing focus without peaking or anything? 

​Performs really well in the field. I used one battery for the entire event shooting both video and stills. Ergonomics are decent, its a DSLR but a comfy one at that. I like the deep grip. I don't have issues with focus without peaking. For me a tilty-flippy screen is enough since I'm so used to having the 5D screen just stuck on the back there. The punch in feature on the D750 is not great though, so there are just a few shots that are not quite as sharp ad I'd like. 

In a perfect world I would've shot this event on a C100 mark 2.

I feel like I should also mention I've just sold my D810, and plan to sell the D750 as well. I had been doing Wedding photography as a primary source of income and in my opinion these are the best cameras on the market for that purpose. 

However since I've landed an in-house media job, I'll be selling my Nikon kit and picking up an A7rII and a6000 to cover my personal video needs. Just wanted to share this to show that the D750 gets the job done on a budget, and is a great hybrid camera. 

The D750 produces a nice image with the flat profile, file sizes are great, ergonomics are great, batteries seem to last forever and so on. The one drawback for me is the poor quality of the rear LCD compared to what Sony is putting on the A7's and the Samsung NX1. When you zoom in, it looks like a CRT TV.

Its still a powerhouse FF camera.

Nice piece.

I sold my D750 to get the A7RII.

This camera has really been flying under the radar and not getting much love. The dynamic range is really high up there. dxomark its at 14.5 in RAW photo mode. But in video mode with the Flat profile I've run some test with ND lighting gels and a light meter and was easily 12.5-13 usable stops, more so in the shadows. Not to mention for being 8bit files  color correction is so easy in resolve. Though I do miss my 5D Magic Lateran RAW for that, but not all the headache came with working with that hack. Rolling shutter, what Rolling Shutter? For being full frame sensor its very impressive, takes a lot to show up. Morie and antialiasing, only once with very specific set up of distance, sharp lens, and certain fabric could I get it to do it. Its actually really hard to make it happen, and I took a raw still at the time and it showed up as well in the RAW 24 mega pixel photo, so it had nothing to do with crappy down scaling. Just that the fabric, lens sharpens, and distance hit the sensor mega pixels frequency.

Here is some sample shots from a short film I shot last month. Vimeo and youtube are terrible to judge the video file. Id recommend downloading the original clip. I also shot it all of it on DNXHD 10bit on my Ninja 2 recorder. It actually does make a difference in quality and color grading to use an external recorder. Also the internal files are half the size of 5D and 7D but nikon did there homework and they are still far cleaner and sharper.  

This camera has really been flying under the radar and not getting much love. The dynamic range is really high up there. dxomark its at 14.5 in RAW photo mode. But in video mode with the Flat profile I've run some test with ND lighting gels and a light meter and was easily 12.5-13 usable stops, more so in the shadows. Not to mention for being 8bit files  color correction is so easy in resolve. Though I do miss my 5D Magic Lateran RAW for that, but not all the headache came with working with that hack. Rolling shutter, what Rolling Shutter? For being full frame sensor its very impressive, takes a lot to show up. Morie and antialiasing, only once with very specific set up of distance, sharp lens, and certain fabric could I get it to do it. Its actually really hard to make it happen, and I took a raw still at the time and it showed up as well in the RAW 24 mega pixel photo, so it had nothing to do with crappy down scaling. Just that the fabric, lens sharpens, and distance hit the sensor mega pixels frequency.

Here is some sample shots from a short film I shot last month. Vimeo and youtube are terrible to judge the video file. Id recommend downloading the original clip. I also shot it all of it on DNXHD 10bit on my Ninja 2 recorder. It actually does make a difference in quality and color grading to use an external recorder. Also the internal files are half the size of 5D and 7D but nikon did there homework and they are still far cleaner and sharper.  

Sorry there was a glitch in the video from vimeo. Here it is.