Panasonic G7 and Metabones Speed Booster XL hands-on - Super 35mm 4K for cheaper

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yay, some love for the G7! :)

Have you tested the actual crop factor of the G7 Andrew? According to Cameralabs it doesn't crop as much as the GH4 in 4K mode. Kinda weird, because that would mean it's not a 1:1 pixel crop.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_G7/

Panasonic Lumix G7 coverage for 4k video
G7 4k UHD crop indicated by outer edge of red frame. GH4 4k UHD crop indicated by inner edge

Image: Cameralabs

Yay, some love for the G7! :)

Have you tested the actual crop factor of the G7 Andrew? According to Cameralabs it doesn't crop as much as the GH4 in 4K mode. Kinda weird, because that would mean it's not a 1:1 pixel crop.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_G7/

Panasonic Lumix G7 coverage for 4k video
G7 4k UHD crop indicated by outer edge of red frame. GH4 4k UHD crop indicated by inner edge

Image: Cameralabs

​Huh, does that mean that with the SB the G7 becomes wider than 1.5x at UHD?

• Administrators

I'm still waiting for the Sony a7000 to drop for an affordable 4K shooter without sacrificing the crop, Iso, or using a speed booster. 

That will be appealing. Until then there's always the NX1!

It won't be before the A7R II does the whole 4K Super 35mm thing first. Sony want our $3200 and I don't blame them. Look at the investment in the tech they have made, it is enormous.

Any thoughts on whether the allusive V-Log will make its way to the G7 as well?

With the Sony A7RII coming out soon, I would love for Panasonic to step these cameras up to the next level.  It would be great to hold on to my GH4 and possibly get a G7 as a b-camera, along with the new Metabones adapter you mentioned...if Panasonic will bring V-Log to our cameras.  Otherwise, Sony's in-camera stabilization, and higher dynamic range is sounding pretty tempting, not to mention a full-frame 4k sensor.  

​Huh, does that mean that with the SB the G7 becomes wider than 1.5x at UHD?

​Yes! I haven't figured out how to calculate the exact crop, but it does. It also means you can use a cheap 0,71x focal reducer Speed Booster knock off and still get S35 probably. The Speed Booster XL is nice of course, but the $100 alternatives suit the G7 budget shooter better I think :)

Thanks for checking Andrew! Even though it is not 4K 1:1 pixel crop, it doesn't seem to add moire/aliasing, according to the test by Cameralabs. If that's the case, I wonder if Panasonic could give the GH4 the new processing method by firmware update...

• Administrators

Any thoughts on whether the allusive V-Log will make its way to the G7 as well?

I think it's unlikely because they will probably still want to give rich pros a reason to buy the GH4! There's not many reasons! 10bit HDMI, YAGH compatibility for XLR, erm...!

I think it's unlikely because they will probably still want to give rich pros a reason to buy the GH4! There's not many reasons! 10bit HDMI, YAGH compatibility for XLR, erm...!

​True. The G7 is hardly crippled in terms of video compared to the GH4. There's no MOV, only MP4 (does that matter anyway?). No Master Pedestal I think? No slow motion and no 200 mbps 1080p (does anyone use that?) But everything else is there... Cine profiles, Zebras, curve adjustments, etc.

I have high hopes for the A6100/7000, i think it will be the T3i of the 4k generation. But one thing missing in all the line up is a sub 1000 full frame camera, something that i think alot of people would go to.

​The original Sony A7 is sells for $999 nowadays... Video quality is not great, but what can you expect for such a price. For photography it's a steal. The Canon EOS M3 + optional EVF is more expensive... lol :)

​The original Sony A7 is sells for $999 nowadays... Video quality is not great, but what can you expect for such a price. For photography it's a steal. The Canon EOS M3 + optional EVF is more expensive... lol :)

​Wow didn't know that! Thought it was 1500+! Personally im much more excited to get a full frame camera than a 4k capable one. Looks like its time to dig into the A7 and find out some more for me.

• Administrators

Just a little correction about the phrase "Currently there are no other 4K interchangeable lens cameras out there for $799." - the Samsung NX500 is $699 now (was $599 last week). I know that there are a lot of caveats in the NX500, but I'm mentioning just for the sake of correction. :)

Oh yes forgot that one. ​No Speed Booster for that though so it can't be considered Super 35mm.

I'm a guy that doesn't have any qualms shooting images with a crop more than s35, so the G7 looks like it'll be a great cheap cam to get regardless if I ever put a speedbooster on it.  Good to hear about some of the details with the adapter, however.  Always nice to know what the options are.

I don't mind crops, I mind the lack of options for wide vintage glass.