Panasonic G7 and Metabones Speed Booster XL hands-on - Super 35mm 4K for cheaper

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You mention that the Metabones Speed Booster XL 0.64x isn't compatible with the GH2. Since I have a couple of old cameras around that might be useful as backup, I wrote a mail to Metabones and asked about that. The answer I received was this:

"Dear Jorgen,

Good morning!

Both the Panasonic GH1 & GH2 are compatible with the Speed Booster XlL 0.64x.

Regards
Elsie
GBI Ltd"

• Administrators

Elsie is being a little optimistic. It functions but there's interference between the glass and the mechanical shutter so I don't recommend it for the GH2. Upgrade to the G6 or G7 and sell it.

GH2 is in "red" on their chart here - http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-m43-BT3

Let's not beat about the bush the A7 is a great stills camera but an absolutely horrific video one, unless you LOVE tons of moire, no LOG and a poor low bit rate codec.

May as well get the A6000 and put Speed Booster on it!

​That sucks, i really want to use my m mount lenses so speedbooster is not an option unfortunatly

That will be appealing. Until then there's always the NX1!

It won't be before the A7R II does the whole 4K Super 35mm thing first. Sony want our $3200 and I don't blame them. Look at the investment in the tech they have made, it is enormous.

​A7Rii is all well and good, but you are going to have a 1.6 crop factor on that full frame glass. If S35 is what you're after doesn't it make more sense to go with the NX1 and pocket the extra $$$? Or better yet, since you'll be waiting anyway.... Why not just wait for the NX1 mk2? You didn't think Samsung was done did you?

• Administrators

Sorry but vs the NX1 the A7R II walks all over it...

There's no Speed Booster for the NX1 so that's a big factor.

And the A7R II will be better in low light.

It will likely also have much less rolling shutter.

It has built in 5 axis stabilisation.

It has proper adapters for EF lenses with full aperture control.

Also an editable codec without transcoding.

NX1 is great but pretty big difference above really isn't there!?

And of course I shoot stills too... where full frame / canon lenses are what I use most. NX1 is neither is it?

Sorry but vs the NX1 the A7R II walks all over it...

There's no Speed Booster for the NX1 so that's a big factor.

And the A7R II will be better in low light.

It will likely also have much less rolling shutter.

It has built in 5 axis stabilisation.

It has proper adapters for EF lenses with full aperture control.

Also an editable codec without transcoding.

NX1 is great but pretty big difference above really isn't there!?

And of course I shoot stills too... where full frame / canon lenses are what I use most. NX1 is neither is it?

​To be fair, we don't know how rolling shutter or low light will be yet. Also, Samsung has a great (if small) lineup of pancake primes that offer excellent performance. Sony's FF lens lineup is improving, but those options are anything but small. 

Andrew, would you mind including the NX500 in this shootout (if you still have access to one)? For those who don't mind the crop factor, I'm very curious how it compares to the other options in this price range. Most of the samples I've seen have impressed me given the price point, but it's hard to judge based on a final retouched project. 

Now this is getting me going. I was just about to make my jump to the GH4, but just like you did with the GH2 back in the day, you're making me reconsider my purchase, Andrew.

There is a big difference in price, but the lack of V-Log L and the recording limit, as well as the lack of mic jack are making me doubt this combination. Now the argument is heavy, it is an awesome combination and I'm spending pretty much the same amount.

So, how do you think the G7 stacks up in higher ISOs? Is it better or worse than the GH4?

​To be fair, we don't know how rolling shutter or low light will be yet. Also, Samsung has a great (if small) lineup of pancake primes that offer excellent performance. Sony's FF lens lineup is improving, but those options are anything but small. 
Andrew, would you mind including the NX500 in this shootout (if you still have access to one)? For those who don't mind the crop factor, I'm very curious how it compares to the other options in this price range. Most of the samples I've seen have impressed me given the price point, but it's hard to judge based on a final retouched project. 

Indeed, everyone is stating how wonderful the A7Rii is, yet the only footage I have seen didn't exactly blow me away. Not that it was bad... but it also wasn't great. I need to see a lot more to be impressed. Personally I was more taken with the footage from the blackmagic Ursa 4.6k. Which should bode well for the mini.

• Administrators

Indeed, everyone is stating how wonderful the A7Rii is, yet the only footage I have seen didn't exactly blow me away. Not that it was bad... but it also wasn't great. I need to see a lot more to be impressed. Personally I was more taken with the footage from the blackmagic Ursa 4.6k. Which should bode well for the mini.

​Don't judge the A7R II from badly graded heavily compressed YouTube footage shot in pixel binning mode then :)

Agree URSA 4.6k looks nice. URSA Mini is definitely a step in the right direction for Blackmagic but they seem to have lost their low budget magic touch with it as well...

​Don't judge the A7R II from badly graded heavily compressed YouTube footage shot in pixel binning mode then :)

Agree URSA 4.6k looks nice. URSA Mini is definitely a step in the right direction for Blackmagic but they seem to have lost their low budget magic touch with it as well...

​The BMPCC and BMCC are still cheap and still excellent, as is the new BMMCC. 

Yes, price is not great when comparing to sony A7 series, gh4 and Samsung. I would love to see those images from a hybrid camera. Is this really impossible? 

Larger camera are more costly to fly. All supporting hardware has to be heavier, harder to transport and more costly. I'm certain there's a market for something with a true cinematic iq that is truly small and stills capable.

Still cheap but aged.

​In what regard besides resolution?

URSA Mini 4.6K is exciting but not consumer priced any more!

If it's appropriate to discuss the C100 Marks I and II, Kinifinity, and FS7, surely the $3000-$5000 price of the Mini doesn't remove it from consideration.

New BMMCC isn't that hot.

​They fixed two of the biggest issues with the original, limited frame rates and battery life, on top of giving us global shutter with little to no DR penalty. That's damn impressive from where I'm standing.

• Administrators

​In what regard besides resolution?

​Noise, power consumption, ergonomics, sensor size, codec and the amount of features. They were all very much version 1.0s and came out nearly 3 years ago.

$5000 is not a consumer price. It is pro.

C100, Kinefinity and FS7 are also pro priced. I discuss both pro and consumer cameras on EOSHD.

Is the BMMCC actually out yet? It doesn't make me as excited as the URSA Mini 4.6k but I would like to give it a test run, see if I have a use for it. I am happy with a fast rolling shutter for now and have little use for 1080/60p.

​Noise, power consumption, ergonomics, sensor size, codec and the amount of features. They were all very much version 1.0s and came out nearly 3 years ago.

​The noise is competitive with other cinema cameras if shot as such. Sensor size has nothing to do with age; S16 is an established format. The codec is still a gold standard in the industry today. Your other points stand--those original cams could do with proper updates. 

$5000 is not a consumer price. It is pro.

C100, Kinefinity and FS7 are also pro priced. I discuss both pro and consumer cameras on EOSHD.

​Fair enough! Just clarifying. While the Ursa doesn't play in the same league as the Pocket or Cinema Camera, it's definitely of keen interest to a lot of us EOSHDers. 

Blackmagic certainly addressed the consumer crowd with the video assist--an affordable, lightweight 1080P 10-bit recorder is a dream come true for amateurs. 

Is the BMMCC actually out yet? It doesn't make me as excited as the URSA Mini 4.6k but I would like to give it a test run, see if I have a use for it. I am happy with a fast rolling shutter for now...

Blackmagic's site says "Shipping in July," so it should be soon. The Blackmagic Pocket already had a pretty fast RS, but this just adds to its appeal as "digital film." Now I can whip pan like Edgar Wright with no fear!

...and have little use for 1080/60p.

​Not even for music videos? Or are you not doing many of those anymore?