Panasonic G7 and Metabones Speed Booster XL hands-on - Super 35mm 4K for cheaper

Andrew Reid

So, I'm having a bit of a conundrum. I own a GH3, but I am currently on the fence about upgrading to an A7rii this week. I JUST bought the Metabones M43 to EF adapter to use with my Sigma 18-35, but I am considering returning it for the E Mount Adapter, instead. Which adapter do you guys foresee as being more future proof? It's a 650 dollar investment, so, I want to make the RIGHT decision. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, Moshimo Garcia said:

So, I'm having a bit of a conundrum. I own a GH3, but I am currently on the fence about upgrading to an A7rii this week. I JUST bought the Metabones M43 to EF adapter to use with my Sigma 18-35, but I am considering returning it for the E Mount Adapter, instead. Which adapter do you guys foresee as being more future proof? It's a 650 dollar investment, so, I want to make the RIGHT decision. 

That can't be answered in general. I take it you're talking about the speed booster? In the end you have three future possibilities:

- Stay with Micro43 > Speedbooster for M43
- Go with Sony APS-C > Speedbooster for E-Mount
- Go with Sony Fullframe > Smart Adapter for E-Mount

Seeing how you seem to be undecided about what to opt for in future, did you consider buying used to minimize losses when selling on?

1 hour ago, Phil A said:

That can't be answered in general. I take it you're talking about the speed booster? In the end you have three future possibilities:

- Stay with Micro43 > Speedbooster for M43
- Go with Sony APS-C > Speedbooster for E-Mount
- Go with Sony Fullframe > Smart Adapter for E-Mount

Seeing how you seem to be undecided about what to opt for in future, did you consider buying used to minimize losses when selling on?

I'm sorry about the very nebulous question. I know upcoming cameras like the BM Micro Cinema Camera and probably the next GH will utilize m43, but beyond that, where do you think that m43 stands? I'm wondering if the E-Mount system will,  provide a more robust future? Decisions, decisions. 

21 minutes ago, Moshimo Garcia said:

I'm sorry about the very nebulous question. I know upcoming cameras like the BM Micro Cinema Camera and probably the next GH will utilize m43, but beyond that, where do you think that m43 stands? I'm wondering if the E-Mount system will,  provide a more robust future? Decisions, decisions. 

Even for the BMMCC you'd want the BMPCC SpeedBooster and not the M43 XL. I feel like things change to rapidly at the moment to make long term planning / investments. If you do videos as a business, consider your ROI. If you do it as a hobby, decide between being conservative with money or splurgig because gear makes you happy.

I've just decided to sit tight on camera investments until more "want to have" criterias meet in one product even though I'd like to upgrade/sidegrade.

20 hours ago, DriftProductions said:

Best thing I have ever done selling my Nikon D750 and prime lenses and getting the G7 with Metabones Speedbooster XL! 

Such a killer combo, thanks for the great review @Andrew Reid I'm new to videography this is my first video and stoked with the performance of this little cam

18 hours ago, boxtree said:

Hi Drift Productions, really nice vid. Can you give some more info, what lenses did you use, settings on camera, any colour grading used etc. 

Cheers @boxtree ! Yeah settings for this vid were....

Natural Picture Profile

Noise Reduction -5

Sharpness -3

Contrast -3

Saturation 0

Given its only 8BIT I wanted to retain as much colour information as possible so didn't touch the saturation.

For colour grading just some light corrections in Speedgrade and added a sharpen mask in PP. That's it, pretty simple workflow and I like the picture it pumps out without needing to shoot flat.

Last question, promise :) I believe the Sigma doesn't have stabilisation on it, so did you use it on a tripod/monopod  etc. or were the shots using the lens all handheld? If they are handheld how does the lens/picture hold up being un-stabilised 

Thanks

17 hours ago, boxtree said:

Thanks for the info, what lenses did you shoot the video with?

14 hours ago, boxtree said:

Last question, promise :) I believe the Sigma doesn't have stabilisation on it, so did you use it on a tripod/monopod  etc. or were the shots using the lens all handheld? If they are handheld how does the lens/picture hold up being un-stabilised 

Thanks

Hey @boxtree nothing handheld, all shot with a monopod and for the slider shots used the Cinevate Duzi V3 slider. Just about everything shot in 4K and downscaled to 1080p. 

Also didn't mention some prep shots at the grooms place were using the GH4 and Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 and you can see the difference, lack of good bokeh, crappy low light and not a fan of the colours. The Sigma 18-35 f1.8 coupled with the Metabones Speedbooster XL .64x smashes the panny out of the ball park!

So I think this post and others on the forum have sold me on the G7 and Sigma 18-35 combo. But looking at the Metabones adapter their seem to be three flavours  normal EF, ultra and XL, are the latter two worth the additional couple of hundred pounds?  If so can you please explain to the layman.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, boxtree said:

So I think this post and others on the forum have sold me on the G7 and Sigma 18-35 combo. But looking at the Metabones adapter their seem to be three flavours  normal EF, ultra and XL, are the latter two worth the additional couple of hundred pounds?  If so can you please explain to the layman.

Thanks.

With the XL you are getting a .64x as opposed to a .72x... So, in full frame terms, if you have a 28mm lens on an m43, the full frame equivalent FOV would be 56mm when you add the regular speedbooster the same 28mm lens, you would get a FOV equivalent to a full frame 40mm and gain a stop of light. With the XL you would get a 36mm and gain a little more than a stop. The XL glass may be of better quality as well, but I am not a hundred percent sure of that?

On June 23, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Sorry but vs the NX1 the A7R II walks all over it...

There's no Speed Booster for the NX1 so that's a big factor.

And the A7R II will be better in low light.

It will likely also have much less rolling shutter.

It has built in 5 axis stabilisation.

It has proper adapters for EF lenses with full aperture control.

Also an editable codec without transcoding.

NX1 is great but pretty big difference above really isn't there!?

And of course I shoot stills too... where full frame / canon lenses are what I use most. NX1 is neither is it?

Hey do you still feel the same since the release of the a7rii ?

2 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Hey do you still feel the same since the release of the a7rii ?

I think that's still valid but at 699 Chf (when last seen in a online store) vs 3500 Chf, who cares?
I think the Sony A7rII and A7sII are just overpriced for the compromise you'll have to make.

I considerd getting a A7r II + Speedbooster but then you look at 4200 without lenses and you have bad slow motion... or you could get A7s II but then you get rather lackluster auto focus and only 12 Megapixel for stills. And both, for my completely personal perception, have really meh colors (apparently to White Balance problems?).

I would take it for 2000 - 2500 $, but not for 3500 € like in Germany. European prices are still crazy.

On June 24, 2015 at 0:08 AM, Inazuma said:

The NX1 is actually worse at high ISOs than the GH4 even without speed booster

Only in video. Whatever is going on with the image processing above 1600 is totally breaking down the image. The effect is seen earlier (at lower iso) in 1080. Weird sensor processing + codec combo. In this regard i rather an gh4 or g7 with speedbooster !

7 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I think that's still valid but at 699 Chf (when last seen in a online store) vs 3500 Chf, who cares?
I think the Sony A7rII and A7sII are just overpriced for the compromise you'll have to make.

I considerd getting a A7r II + Speedbooster but then you look at 4200 without lenses and you have bad slow motion... or you could get A7s II but then you get rather lackluster auto focus and only 12 Megapixel for stills. And both, for my completely personal perception, have really meh colors (apparently to White Balance problems?).

I would take it for 2000 - 2500 $, but not for 3500 € like in Germany. European prices are still crazy.

Yeah sony is just ridiculously overpriced BUT specs wise they look damn good on paper. Honestly didnt see much of an improvement over my gh4 when I bought an a7s. Only really seen the benefit when shooting in terrible lighting and need high iso. Funny thing is if the lighting sucks it makes shooting in high iso a useless/novelty item imo. Currently im really thinking the gh4 is the most reliable option out now. Nx1 is good cause of the high res stills look spectacular especially when you downscale to like 12mp. Currently spending some more time testing ny nx1 before i make the decision to go gh4/g7 with speedbooster and zeiss milvus glass

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Currently im really thinking the gh4 is the most reliable option out now. Nx1 is good cause of the high res stills look spectacular especially when you downscale to like 12mp. Currently spending some more time testing ny nx1 before i make the decision to go gh4/g7 with speedbooster and zeiss milvus glass

Have you thought about selling your nx1, picking up a used nx500 for stills and some of that NX video you like and a speedbooster gh4/g7 as your primary video camera?

51 minutes ago, mercer said:

Have you thought about selling your nx1, picking up a used nx500 for stills and some of that NX video you like and a speedbooster gh4/g7 as your primary video camera?

I am still considering selling the nx1 and if I do grab the gh4 or g7 i will commit to those. I never use a different manufacturer as a second body because I can personally tell the difference in the "look". Overall bro panasonic produces stellar imagery in stills mode when shooting raw. With a speedbooster xl you now have an aps-h crop which I am excited to experience for the first time. Whether nx1 or gh4/g7 you are not losing but the extra stop of light from the speedbooster is appealing to me especially since I plan on staying at or below 1600 iso

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a favourite lens that performs as amazing as the Sigma 18-35 1.8ART for around the same budget or cheaper? Rented the Rokinon/Samyang 35/50/85 T1.5 primes and found their performance mediocre compared to this lens. Would love to get people's feedback, whether it be primes or zooms.... Sigma ART primes compared to the Samyang/Rokinon?

• 4 weeks later...