Panasonic G7 and Metabones Speed Booster XL hands-on - Super 35mm 4K for cheaper

Andrew Reid

"The XL meanwhile is the best Speed Booster yet. It consolidates all of the best Speed Boosters into one adapter. Full EF lens support with image stabilisation (IS) and aperture control, even basic AF."

The XL Speed Booster supports "basic AF?" Can you please explain. I thought it did not support AF at all.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just got the Metabones XL and tried mounting it on my GH4. Using a moderate amount of force, I couldn't get the adaptor to mount on my camera. It just won't turn. Am I supposed to push a button on the adaptor or something? I can't find any information anywhere on the internet. Every video I've seen, they just pop it on their camera no problem.

Also, I notice that the rear element that protrudes into the body of the camera is loose (it can spin around). Is it supposed to be like that? 

I contacted Metabones and they asked for a video, but I thought I might find an answer here first. Failing that, I'll take it to a local camera shop and see if they have any more luck. I'm in Vietnam,where mirrorless cameras are pretty difficult to find, and Metabones isn't even sold here as far as I know.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I notice that the rear element that protrudes into the body of the camera is loose (it can spin around). Is it supposed to be like that? 

I do not own any speedbooster but do have two lensturbo's. From the sound of it looks like my last lensturbo arrived in the same condition as your speedbooster today.

The element was loose as well. The tiny screw that should hold it in place was not fastened. Because of that I could not connect the lensturbo as the screw came in contact with the camera body. After slightly fastening the screw the lensturbo was fastened (ever so slightly) and the adapter did no longer block the connection.

Hope it's something simple in your case as well.  ...and might you have lost infinity in the process, as you have been rotating the rear element, you now know how to adjust the speedbooster ;)

I do not own any speedbooster but do have two lensturbo's. From the sound of it looks like my last lensturbo arrived in the same condition as your speedbooster today.

The element was loose as well. The tiny screw that should hold it in place was not fastened. Because of that I could not connect the lensturbo as the screw came in contact with the camera body. After slightly fastening the screw the lensturbo was fastened (ever so slightly) and the adapter did no longer block the connection.

Hope it's something simple in your case as well.  ...and might you have lost infinity in the process, as you have been rotating the rear element, you now know how to adjust the speedbooster ;)

​I'm starting to worry now - because I'm pretty mechanically challenged - so if that's the case, I'll probably have to send the speed booster back to the seller or manufacturer...

Apparently, the seller shipped the speed booster with no extra packaging, just the plastic case that offers virtually no protection against drops - really disgusting!

Hope it's something simple in your case as well.  ...and might you have lost infinity in the process, as you have been rotating the rear element, you now know how to adjust the speedbooster. :)

This morning the IT guy in our office was helping me shoot a video of the problem to send to Metabones, when he noticed a screw beneath the bayonet mount was loose. A quick search online and I was able to confirm that it was indeed the adjustment screw. A buddy says an eyeglass screwdriver should work, he's bringing one back after lunch. So yeah, the infinity should be way out of wack, since I spun the lens around even more for the video this morning. :(

IMG_4524.MOV

So yeah, the infinity should be way out of wack, since I spun the lens around even more for the video this morning. 

It’s the second metabones adapter mentioned on this forum that came with a loose screw. Looks like the people who ensemble the adapters are not really qualified. An adapter that cost as much as $649.- should not come with loose screws. Also ‘contact’ asking you to sent over a video of the problem sounds weird as they should know only one thing can block the connection especially after you told them you could rotate the lens element.

I think you should sent it back and ask for a proper version.

Personally I would like the challenge to get it back in place myself ...but then again I do have a screwdriver set ;)

It’s the second metabones adapter mentioned on this forum that came with a loose screw. Looks like the people who ensemble the adapters are not really qualified. An adapter that cost as much as $649.- should not come with loose screws. Also ‘contact’ asking you to sent over a video of the problem sounds weird as they should know only one thing can block the connection especially after you told them you could rotate the lens element.

I think you should sent it back and ask for a proper version.

Personally I would like the challenge to get it back in place myself ...but then again I do have a screwdriver set ;)

I agree - since I spent $670 plus shipping from Hong Kong to Vietnam, it shouldn't need any adjustments. Sending it back is really out of the question though - Vietnamese customs could charge me as much as 20% for duties and VAT. :( On the positive side, Metabones did respond quickly. 

On the positive side, Metabones did respond quickly. 

In that case you probably already have this link:

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/infinity-adjustment-speed-booster-only

I found it in this thread:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21004

So it looks like you had to adjust the adapter anyhow to get your Sigma to behave parfocal :)

I did this for my nikon 20-35. Target on any subject at 35mm set the zoom to 17mm(in your case) You will notice it's out of focus. Remove adapter with the lens still connected. Adjust the lenselement in any direction by rotating it 360 degrees. Attach the adapter again to the camera and see if that improved the situation or not. That will give you a clue in what direction to turn the lens element. Once you know in what direction you need to adjust the lens element use steps of 90 degree. At a certain point you will overshoot an need to counter rotate. When you reach that point make smaller steps till the lens behaves parfocal. With some luck your other lenses should be able to reach infinty now. If not ,you have to make a decision which lens is the most important for you to use with the adapter. Success.

In that case you probably already have this link:

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/infinity-adjustment-speed-booster-only

I found it in this thread:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21004

So it looks like you had to adjust the adapter anyhow to get your Sigma to behave parfocal :)

I did this for my nikon 20-35. Target on any subject at 35mm set the zoom to 17mm(in your case) You will notice it's out of focus. Remove adapter with the lens still connected. Adjust the lenselement in any direction by rotating it 360 degrees. Attach the adapter again to the camera and see if that improved the situation or not. That will give you a clue in what direction to turn the lens element. Once you know in what direction you need to adjust the lens element use steps of 90 degree. At a certain point you will overshoot an need to counter rotate. When you reach that point make smaller steps till the lens behaves parfocal. With some luck your other lenses should be able to reach infinty now. If not ,you have to make a decision which lens is the most important for you to use with the adapter. Success.

​Metabones recommends setting the zoom at the midway point (in this case, between 18 and 35mm), then checking infinity focus at both ends after adjustment. Isn't it just a problem at infinity focus, or does it also affect focus at close range as well? My buddy won't be able to loan me his screwdriver till tomorrow afternoon....

​Metabones recommends setting the zoom at the midway point (in this case, between 18 and 35mm), then checking infinity focus at both ends after adjustment. Isn't it just a problem at infinity focus, or does it also affect focus at close range as well? My buddy won't be able to loan me his screwdriver till tomorrow afternoon....

It effects close range as well, way more for that matter.

Here is an example

I have a lens turbo EF to m43. I use vintage lenses, mostly Contax Yashica (thanks Andy) To fit them to the lens turbo they need an adapter ring. I adjusted the Lens turbo so the Yashica lenses hit infinity without overshoot.
Then I found a Yashica Auto Yashinon zoom1:3.5 45-115mm. It’s a M42 mount. It connects with an adapter ring to the EF lens turbo.
Focus between 115 and 45 were completely off. So I checked if I could improve that by adjusting the lens turbo element. It’s not a real parfocal lens (I think), but it is now as close to parfocal as I can get it.

If I now connect my C/Y they slightly overshoot when set to infinity …I couldn’t care less as the zoom lens suddenly is way easier to handle as everything stays in “focus” throughout the zoom range.

Non of these lenses have an original EF mount, all adapterrings differ so to make it stick to one lensturbo/speedbooster you will have to make choices.

Metabones advice is for varivocal lenses. From my understanding the Sigma 18-35 is a parfocal lens. And I think it’s your lens to go, so if I were you, I would make sure it behaves parfocal on the adapter …even if that means other lenses will suffer from it.

• 4 weeks later...

Over this cool EF Metabones, what M42 adapter can functionnaly and securely be used please?

On the official page they say "some improperly-made M42 screw mount adapters may short the electronic contacts of the Speed Booster and cause damage to the Speed Booster and/or camera body."

I have a Fotodiox - is it good enough? Which ones work or don't? Do you guys have some references please?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Can somebody help me to figure out how to make autofocus work on G7 with Speedbooster and 24-105 3.5-5.6 STM canon lens.

I've seen autofocus being mentioned on metabones website but my camera shows MF on the screen all the time whatever setting i make.

Can somebody help me to figure out how to make autofocus work on G7 with Speedbooster and 24-105 3.5-5.6 STM canon lens.

I've seen autofocus being mentioned on metabones website but my camera shows MF on the screen all the time whatever setting i make.

i'm not actually in need of Auto focus much but was interested if it's a working feature at all

i'm not actually in need of Auto focus much but was interested if it's a working feature at all

Autofocus only works in stills mode, not movie mode

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...