Canon Taylor Swift fix Canon?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Andrew,I guess you will make new topic with Nikon D5. lol ha ha ha

​I have seen the D5 rumours and they're a load of tosh this time.

Even saw a post about Socionet which confuses an LSI (system processor) with a sensor. Panasonic are not making the D5's full frame sensor I can promise you that!!

I think we all forget that the whole Canon-video thing was really a fluke.  Canon is not a video company. They are primarily a STILLS camera firm.  As a company they are very conservative. I liken them to Rolls-Royce in the 1950's and 60s.. slow and plodding and selling things that are well-built but 10 years behind times.  I personally love Canon and feel the same pain.  I would love to buy a new Canon for my film productions but it seems that's not going to happen.  I think that when they introduced the 5D Mk3 (which was pretty underwhelming) it became obvious that the MK2 was not a company trend but a fortunate mistake.  I fully expect the 5D mk4, when it comes out, will be very modern, in a fashion of a few years ago,

Sadly, it doesn't matter. Canon is so big, people (especially those not using their own money) will continue to buy it to cover their behind (the old "No one every got fired for buying IBM" argument). And rationalize their decisions with "best colors out of the camera (even if they all grade in post)," "it's the ergonomics, not resolution," and of course the ever popular "camera doesn't matter, it's the story." But dinosaurs do die out...who would've thought the almighty Kodak would go extinct?

• Administrators

I really want Canon to succeed, it's for our own benefit. If Sony gets a monopoly on sensor design we will suffer eventually.

Imagine if Sony decided to stop working with Nikon. Where would that leave them?

Canon are dangerously close to becoming a Sony customer. Already are for some models. Canon have an innovative CMOS division and even make the machines to make the sensors. They have 4K on a full frame sensor (1D C) it just needs to go into a more innovative camera and at a price we can afford. Currently on dynamic range and sensor capabilities (both manufacturing and end product) they are behind Sony. Not good.

The joke about Taylor Swift fixing stuff at Apple is an internet meme. If you didn't get it, no need to say "EOSHD is off his meds again". But maybe join this generation.

I bet Canon found it funny... all 11 employees under the age of 85 that is.

This was a great post and just on the heels of me pre ordering the A7R ii after being a huge canon user and also fan of the 1DC....... it makes me sad to leave canon and I hope someday i can comeback. they just never went between the 5D and 1DC for something special...... I mean they didn't even add Clog to its latest round of DSLR updates so i can B cam off the 1DC if needed..... It screams we don't care about what you need. 

Who cares about Canon? We've got much better options now.

That said, they'll probably put something special in with the 5D IV. They can do 4k (they were there first with the 1D ages ago), and focussing (7d II). They could be the king again in an instant, and that's why they aren't pushing all the time. They're secure with their heritage and brand name, so when they need to release something new they will. Not before. It's just common business sense.

Taylor Swift doesn't pay photographers and can break their cameras per her contract with them - opps - I'm sure Taylor wasn't expecting this from coming out.  She denies it too - not the right move, Taylor PR - just change the contract.  Learn from Apple's PR. You screw up, change it quickly.  1, 2, 3 - then no one cares.  Now you have Jason Sheldon as a hero photog and you look like you are the bad blood.

I think we all forget that the whole Canon-video thing was really a fluke.

​I don't think it was a fluke so much as their priorities changing somewhere down the line. Aside from the atrocious 500D (which you could write off as just a classic "second album misfire" situation), each of their DSLRs up to about the 5D Mark III either improved their video features or brought said features to a more reasonable price point. After that, they just seemed to give up.