Canon Taylor Swift fix Canon?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I hate to say it but who cares about canon? no really. who cares. They are just a company that makes tools, not a religion. This aspiring cinematographer you speak of doesn't hold a soul contract on canon, neither does shooting canon mean anything is going to improve for them all else being the same.

If canon can't keep up, that is nothing to cry over it. If canon does not want to keep up, that is also nothing to cry over. Let canon be canon. They are no longer the king of imaging, and haven't for some time, and arguably they have never been a force in the high end video market either.

These are just tools. use whatever works and just be glad you have choices.

stop the brand fanboysm. it is childish.

You are crazy man, Canon doesn't give a fu..k about video in the gh4-A7S price range, it's change money for them compared to photography sales.

Also, they want more money from proffesionals for quality 4k, and they have the power to force them, you know what it is, largest user base of lens system, percentage of people owning canon lens is the highest of them all, they rule the poor souls who bought a 50mm 1.2 or a 70-200 2.8.

Unfortunately, canon popularity is what is keeping then alive. I remember my friends on college asking me for advise in what camera they should get, but in the end them just go to B&H and get themselves  the new t4i, t5i,  t6i etc. I saw this cycle repeat itself 5 times. I feel so sad, they just don't know better. 

i think you are reading the the list of cameras in the tribeca film festival wrong. if any companies should worry, it´s sony and panasonic. the F5/55 can´t even challenge red. if the GH2/3/4 offer superior video quality to canon then, where are they? (damn the color science, damn the FF look, damn using eos lenses natively, damn the marketing strategy!)

you, the writer of this blog, are wealthy enough to own a 1Dc, next to numerous other imaging devices. so for you to whine about canon is as hypocrite as taylor swifts whining about apple paying her a couple of millions less this year.

My open letter is a bit shorter:

I am a customer that owns 100+x expensive Canon products and from day to day I am more ANGRY about Canon, as it seems their marketing department is playing tricks on us and intentionally holds back features and informations.

This profit maximization will NOT work on my end and only leading to buying less to no Canon products in the future, as I don't consider myself to be as stupid as Canon seems to think their customers are.

Since a week I am testing the new 5DsR, and in a 3700 Euro camera Canon did manage to implement a video mode on 2008 levels that is so bad it is beaten by any phone.

They added new overdue features that are welcome on first sight like an internal timelapse trigger.  But unlike on a GH4 or many other cameras, you can't say when your timelapse should start or set a 4 digit number of pictures you want to take - no, in the 5DsR's menu you can only either let the camera take a TWO (!) digit number of pictures or an unlimited amount without a certain start or stop time.  As Canon programmers can't be 10 years behind in logic, this important feature intentionally must have been limited, so that in the end you still need an external timer.

Surprisingly Canon for the first time did add full video autofocus that works with all full frame AF lenses, which unfortunately is useless because of the bad video quality.  This feature is not mentioned anywhere by Canon, telling customers:  PLEASE don't use one of our expensive products for BOTH photo and video, you HAVE to buy TWO of our products if you want to be served right.  My answer to that is that I will kick out all Canon cameras soon, buy no more 5D4 or C300II and instead buy THREE new Sony A7 model variations that ALL can do both photo and video on decent levels!!!

I now own a GH4 so I care less about Canon than I used to.

BUT there is one thing that still P***s me off about the fall-out from Canon deal.  The Canon marketing team was very good at positioning itself so as to give impression of their commitment as the defacto standard in the video market.  As a result smaller companies developed and sold some very cool stuff to use with Canon cameras.  ONLY Canon cameras.  Small companies who also felt that Canon was committed. They invested their limited resources to that one manufacturer.  Now when I search to find (as an example) a remote controller that accessed the functions of my GH4 the only one out there now is the Zacuto one for well over $3,000.  On the other hand, there are a few for under $200 but they only work with Canon cameras.  After some emailing to inquire, I find they don't have the resources now to develop new versions for other cameras.  Just saying.........

Andrew owns the Canon 1D whatever and I think he likes it.

Just being a provocateur to get hits!  Nothing wrong with trying to push Canon to keep current with their DSLRs or move into Mirrorless tech.  But I think most people have moved to other brands.

The point is that if you like a brand in general, you own a lot of accessoires for that brand, and you know that a brand can do much better, it makes you angry if their politics unnecessarily create a lose-lose situation for the consumer and themselves.  It's also important to speak out against it in public, so Canon knows they are on a bad path.  I personally simply don't like the look, menus, mount, history etc of Sony DSLRs that much to switch for 1-2 years until Canon finally have their game together with swivel screens, focus peaking etc.