Interesting insights into the new Sony A7R II and RX sensor technology

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

This is a fantastic Sony interview at Imaging Resource. Dave Etchells was able to extract an astonishing amount of technical info about how the new Sony sensors are able to deliver 4K video, less rolling shutter and better low light performance than the previous 36MP full frame and 20MP 1" sensors.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Actually, it is highly unlikely the A7rII sensor ends up in a video camera.

The A7sII (whenever this comes) sure, but the 42mp A7rII sensor? Not really. It would be a huge waste of sensor area, since the full frame video mode is by Sony's own words not as good as the s35. It simply doesn't make any sense (yet) to use that many megapixels for 4K video.

new thing always had more interest :)

i disagree with GH5  it has to be Super 35mm!!!,no time to new formate to panasonic/olympus(panny had vericam35 if you want super35 sensor)

i will wait GX8 and GH5 that may had new mega pixel sensor.

assume it had 22mp and 5k downscale to 4k . 5120 x 3840 for m4/3 still photo and 5120 x 2880 on 5K readout ,panasonic need extreme fast readout.

i think they can do fast pixel.

By contrast if you take the APS-C portion of the A7R II sensor it clocks in at 15MP as well as utilising the advantages of copper. We can therefore expect the 4K output of the A7R II to be a significant improvement on the NX1 at higher ISOs.

Aren't the A7RII crop and the NX-1 native the same? I would expect very similar output from the two.

Its great to see things move in the proper direction (small but ergonomic package,IBIS,better video). 

With all these improvements I would wait to see what A7sII brings on the table before selling everything to raise enough money for A7RII. I bet the resale value of A7RII will drop like a rock within the first few months, as did for all the A7 series.  

Great article Andrew. I was especially curious about the sensor technology in this new camera -- especially how they were getting closer to a non-rolling shutting without an actual shutter. Is it possible that this technology will become more popular than rolling shutter, which includes light loss because of electronics -- ala Blackmagic 4k global?

I doubt Panasonic has any plans to ever make a full frame sensor camera.

From what i undestood is like computer procesors, big sensors occupy more space on a wafer and when a full frame sensor is faulty on that wafer is damn more expensive than maybe 1-2 m43 sensors. Also, a wafer can hold maybe 5 FX sensors or 10 m43.

GH4 is a much cheaper sensor to make than a full frame like sony, canon or nikon, sure they make up with tons of features and good processing power,  but skimping on the sensor is the catch that makes it cheaper to make, also the outdated tehnology, bo BSI sensor, no gapeless microlenses....

If you think about it, GH4 is damn expensive when you look at other alternatives, if you do photography, it's good for them Nikon and Canon don't give a sh..t about video in this price range, otherwise they would be toast.

Spoiler Alert!

Now, you may rename your site to alfahd. -_-

What if A7RII has the best in detail, resolution, low light, DR etc .. BUT can she cook?

Is this cine-like enough? Is it hollywoodish or organic enough like the 1DC? I Dont think so.

Let's be realistic. Panasonic will never ever produce a full frame camera nor a hybrid super 35 camera. It's hard enough for them to establish their micro4/3 format. But they could bring a multi aspect sensor, that in 4k aspect ratio could come as close as the factor 1,8 to a full frame sensor (The Canon APSC format has the factor 1,7). Add the new, specially for the GH4 designed speedbooster to that and you enter full frame territory anyway.

A7R II is an almost perfect camera for both video can still photos. What I feel still short is the high speed mode in video. As the read out speed is 3.5X faster than its ancestor A7R, I guess A7RII is able to shot high speed FHD video at least up to 120fps. Of course, it may require a crop mode for 4x crop to approach 1:1 pixel read out without line skipping. That's really pain on the ass.

A7R II is an almost perfect camera for both video can still photos. What I feel still short is the high speed mode in video. As the read out speed is 3.5X faster than its ancestor A7R, I guess A7RII is able to shot high speed FHD video at least up to 120fps. Of course, it may require a crop mode for 4x crop to approach 1:1 pixel read out without line skipping. That's really pain on the ass.

Maybe the internal cpu can't keep up to do 120fps @1080, downscaled. I still think the cpu inside samsung nx1 is more powerful (as to pure computational power).