Mystery camera revealed - Sony NEX 5N in cine housing with cooling mod

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/DSC03151.jpg[/img]

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/comments/index.php/topic,956.0.html"]If you are interested in getting one, please let Richard know on the forum…[/url]

Richard Gale emailed me a few days ago to tell me about his cinema housing for the NEX 5N.

And here it is.

Richard tells EOSHD more about the housing after the break – how it improves the NEX 5N and how he intends to price it.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/8392/mystery-camera-revealed-sony-nex-5n-in-cine-housing-with-cooling-mod/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I'm really interested in this Richard. (Thanks for the piece Andrew).

I've got a Nex-5N and I love it but hardly use it because of the overheating. What happens to the controls at the back? Is the other screen still there so you can slim it down without the extra LCD. Would love to see it in action. Perhaps I can help make a review piece for one / try it in the field (I'm also based in the UK).

Whats the price going to be? 

Thanks for the info.

It it were not for the upcomming weather-sealed GH3 I'd think about designing a 3d printable body for the GH2 or GH1. :/
I'm currently doing a new body for YN460-II flashes that get mains power connector, umbrella-holder and a radio trigger receiver integrated.

(Thicker on buttom and left side but not the grip,
quick release plate and supporting loop for the hand integrated,
3.5mm stereo audio jack and 1 XLR plug,
wireless shutter release and wireless flash sender integrated and
  a power plug that does not need me removing the battery or stop recording first.
Foldable sun shade for the display.
2 15mm holes into the larger base to insert rails when needed.
Some 1/4" and hotshoe mounting points like the cage.
3/8" microphone mounting point at the top in front of the current buttons due to the longer, C300 like body. )

• Administrators
[quote author=Another Andrew link=topic=956.msg7010#msg7010 date=1341847656]
£15,000 is a bit steep... Think I'll stick to the C300!
[/quote]

Sorry must have got the pricing the same way Canon did... Typo with an extra zero. Corrected!

OK wow! Interesting cooling techniques. The 1,500 pound kit also includes the anamorphic adapter?
Richard, how about an external power solution? What's the longest recording tally before it overheats?
thanks and good work!!

It's a great effort, and definitely a welcome improvement to the camera, but it's a shame that it doesn't solve the lack of a microphone jack problem. At this price point, I think it should. It should also help with additional and versatile ways to power the camera. We can't forget this camera costs 600 dollars, buying a case for it that costs 2 or 3x more is a big decision, the features list should be as rich as possible to make up for it.

• Administrators
[quote author=ed_lee83 link=topic=956.msg7013#msg7013 date=1341848180]
OK wow! Interesting cooling techniques. The 1,500 pound kit also includes the anamorphic adapter?
Richard, how about an external power solution? What's the longest recording tally before it overheats?
thanks and good work!!
[/quote]

I really like the way he's used that filter holder on the Century anamorphic. Great for slotting in NDs?

[quote author=ewanthomas link=topic=956.msg7009#msg7009 date=1341847573]
I'm really interested in this Richard. (Thanks for the piece Andrew).

I've got a Nex-5N and I love it but hardly use it because of the overheating. [color=yellow][color=blue]What happens to the controls at the back? Is the other screen still there so you can slim it down without the extra LCD?[/color][/color] Would love to see it in action. Perhaps I can help make a review piece for one / try it in the field (I'm also based in the UK).

Whats the price going to be? 

Thanks for the info.
[/quote]

I have the exact same question !! What about the rear view of the housing? And so what about the built-in LCD screen?
What's the final price? And also is it a devinitive move or is it easy to put the nex 5n out from the housing?

Thanx a lot to Richar for his work and Andrew for this great article !

To Richard Gale, some kind of warning.

I have been using this Sony CLM-V55 monitor with my Nex 5n and when i have the monitor plugged for several minutes the monitor goes blank even when recording, searching on the web about thisissue and found another user with the same issue, obviously Sony is not good on fix this kind o f thing and less , have you tried the monitor with extended use? I comment you about this, because your are trying to include this monitor with the cooling mod, maybe a SmallHD EVF is more useful here.

Is very admirable what are you trying to achieve here, i wish you the best of luck.

Hi Guys:) - and thanks Andrew for your blog article - glad you like it.

Some answers to some questions.  forgive me - this is more of a personal project exercise than a commercial outfit.  It just so happens I work in close contact with a prototyping company so small batch production is possible without needing to talk mass production with chinese manufacturing plants.  Hence the small initial numbers.  If people are interested the working prototype is ready to go into tooling.

This is not a product to challenge anything other than standard dslr type systems (in image quality terms).  -And at the moment serves those who are happy working with the very good compressed format from the nex5n but want a more rugged workhorse.  In my heart I wanted higher bitrates, etc, but since then have been happy with the avchd compression. 

Here are some answers to some questions:-

1. cooling: The camera no longer overheats.  full stop.  No overheat icon, no shut down.

2. Screen access: the screen is still viewable and touchscreen-able.

3. rear buttons access : the case is designed to not interfere with normal camera use. - all buttons are accessible.

3. review piece; i'll try and put together a demo video for youtube some time soon.  To be honest its the same as using the nex5n but with a bit more of a handful, and more balance when used with bigger lenses.  The solid footprint is great for tripod use. 

4. the price is minus the anamorphic - the anamorphic is more of a concept I wanted to put together, like a all in one anamorphic for less demanding jobs - indy film, etc..  Unfortunately we need someone like Samyang to step up and produce something similar in order for it to be economically viable.  Maybe they will listen!

5. `mic `jack`; currently talking with the guys behind the shadow hot shoe adaptor for a low profile interface allowing a 3.5mm stereo input, likely to be partnered with a flash hotshoe too.  we'll leave it there for now.  Generally I am happy with a zoom h2 and a small mic attached to the lens hood.  using the zoom in 48khz mode the audio sync's perfectly with the in camera sound

6. perception:  it is so true.  show up with a 7d, 550d, etc and often the client owns one himself.  Being the way it is at the moment `i guess a bit of a non consumer looking device makes you look more 'pro'.  - this thing has got me a few bookings off the back of its industrial looks. 

Here are some more images, some showing the back of the system, access to controls etc.:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.243365572449261.52687.100003274617854&type=3&l=5f89ea5a19

Maybe pm me (If thats ok Andrew?) if you are interested in one of the first batch.  If/when I have 10 or so people wanting one I can start the tooling.  I'll set up ebay listings with a 2-3 week delivery time to allow for manufacture and delivery.  Remember, you are more than welcome to purchase the screen and camera separately and just pay for the enclosure.  `i'd recommend the sony clm-v55 - it is small, and tidy with good inbuilt functions.  its a good match.  Otherwise the fitment is standard tripod thread so will accept most screens.

Rich

Guest Zohannes
nice work richard, i stopped using my NEX5N on 'proper' shoots because of overheating (mainly - switched to a GH2 then) and also ergonomics but it looks like you solved both of these. kinda looks like a baby RED. Do you plan on developing the same system for GH2? Im in South Africa and everyone is completely biased towards Canon so it is hard to find any support/gear for Sony or Panasonic. I guess i will be keen to get a kit for both systems..

Guest paul lucas
hi look s really good but we shoot on gh2 do you have one that camera if so how much? not aware of over heating on the gh2 but the addition of anamorphic is very cool.

• Administrators
[quote name='Zohannes' timestamp='1341901497' post='13657']
nice work richard, i stopped using my NEX5N on 'proper' shoots because of overheating (mainly - switched to a GH2 then) and also ergonomics but it looks like you solved both of these. kinda looks like a baby RED. Do you plan on developing the same system for GH2? Im in South Africa and everyone is completely biased towards Canon so it is hard to find any support/gear for Sony or Panasonic. I guess i will be keen to get a kit for both systems..
[/quote]

I believe Richard is waiting to see what form the GH3 takes but let's see what he says about a possible GH2 mod. Until then you can use the ReWo cage.