Mystery camera revealed - Sony NEX 5N in cine housing with cooling mod

Andrew Reid

Well, I, didn't necessarily mean that I was waiting for the price to fall as much as I was waiting to see if the price without the camera/monitor would end up as? I'm in the states, so I would use the option to avoid the import taxes. (And I already have the camera, anyway.)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='lenpict' timestamp='1343088163' post='14377']
Well, I, didn't necessarily mean that I was waiting for the price to fall as much as I was waiting to see if the price without the camera/monitor would end up as? I'm in the states, so I would use the option to avoid the import taxes. (And I already have the camera, anyway.)
[/quote]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120951703965?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649#ht_1290wt_1348

the auction has run its course now. But there are a further 2 available. Let me know and I'll put a new listing up

Wow, I would love to, but my freelance video gig hasn't been successful enough for me to swing ~$1000 on the housing. I know it would be a huge boon to my setup, but unfortunately my experimentation with the 5N has been driven by the price/performance ratio.

You did mention in the preliminary guide that you're looking into an external audio input for the accessory port, which I would also be greatly interested in. I think your work holds a lot of promise so I'll be following Compact Cine Systems closely. Wish I could be a venture capitalist and fund the projects, but as a cash-poor but ambition-rich filmmaker, I'll have to be a well-wisher that can support when I can.

All the best.

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1343087462' post='14376']
Cheers for the kind words. I think at the moment it is not visibly possible to get the price lower than this. It is simply not an item with enough of a mass market potential to warrant overseas manufacture and thus the high price reflects this. Though the price is high, I am very surprised at the lack of interest in pre orders amongst the online community. I am literally breaking my back to get the units ready. The sheer amount of technicalities involved are overwhelming.

At the moment 8 units have been pre ordered. But only one to an enthusiastic film maker from the online community. The rest are going to a production hire company to hire with 5n's, PL adaptors etc to use alongside fs-100's and F3's! They will probably earn the hire company 10 fold what they are buying these off me for. Seems a bit sad that the price seems to have made it inaccessible to most of the guys I hoped it would attract, and that all my hard work is not going to benefit many of the guys I'd hoped it would have done. If only all these guys messing with the horrible 600D, 7D etc, with £1000's of pounds worth of rigs, brackets etc were using 5N's instead:)

All I know is that after all this work, I and one other lucky guy will have a full 'production' model to use themselves - for their own projects, and that the rig is also going to be put through its paces by a fair few small productions here in the UK, and hopefully further afield. Cant wait to see them with a £££££ PL mount cine lens hanging off the front!
[/quote]

I work as a vfx artist at a large effects house. A few of my coworkers here have a Nex and go out and shoot on a regular basis. I showed your housing to them and they expressed interest in it... until they saw the price. If it was around $400~$500, I'm sure a lot more people would bite. Myself included. That being said, perhaps you could look into having a small run of units made overseas(China). I'm sure you could find a outfit that could make these for you at a reasonable cost.

[quote name='ironchimp' timestamp='1343344875' post='14562']
I work as a vfx artist at a large effects house. A few of my coworkers here have a Nex and go out and shoot on a regular basis. I showed your housing to them and they expressed interest in it... until they saw the price. If it was around $400~$500, I'm sure a lot more people would bite. Myself included. That being said, perhaps you could look into having a small run of units made overseas(China). I'm sure you could find a outfit that could make these for you at a reasonable cost.
[/quote]

The numbers just dont make far east manufacture an option i'm afraid. And i have gone to far too much effort creating the masters for some factory to run off another 200-500 units and sell them themselves - I have been involved in developing products for prestige companies who have had this happen. I don't want my name to be associated with a knock off 'quick buck' product from china - which can happen if the masters get into the wrong hands. Seeing as I'm not doing this for the money so I don't want anyone like that profiteering from my efforts. An underwater housing of similar complexity would cost you around 1000-1500£, and they make a few hundred of these units. The company can afford to deal in china because they have a stake in the factory, and control direct with a western 'line manager' keeping everyone in check.

• 4 years later...
On 7/25/2012 at 8:56 PM, richg101 said:

The numbers just dont make far east manufacture an option i'm afraid. And i have gone to far too much effort creating the masters for some factory to run off another 200-500 units and sell them themselves - I have been involved in developing products for prestige companies who have had this happen. I don't want my name to be associated with a knock off 'quick buck' product from china - which can happen if the masters get into the wrong hands. Seeing as I'm not doing this for the money so I don't want anyone like that profiteering from my efforts. An underwater housing of similar complexity would cost you around 1000-1500£, and they make a few hundred of these units. The company can afford to deal in china because they have a stake in the factory, and control direct with a western 'line manager' keeping everyone in check.

Hey Rich,

Just wanted to know if it's possible to create something similar for the a6300/a6500.
The overheating issue is the only let down in these cameras.
Thanks.