Mystery camera revealed - Sony NEX 5N in cine housing with cooling mod

Andrew Reid

indeed. as long as panasonic don't accidentally (or purposefully) cripple the GH3 I'll want to start developing a housing for it from the offset. I saw someone's link to a topic (on dvx user i think)where someone was talking about a rather fancy machined aluminium housing for the gh2 with a load of external inputs etc. I think that would be a good concept if there are fixable flaws in the new gh model. Personally I would go with a ABS case to maintain a degree of hand held friendliness. I think the GH hack underworld is more of a viable place to start offering niche hardware of this style.

'Mattebox' is a Century/Schneider 4x4 sunshade/filter holder. perfect form factor for dslr's

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hey guys - first post for me - I have a question: Why not just buy the Sony VG-20? While it doesn't have the scene color selections of the 5N, it's a proper video camera.

I have one, and it's a fun little beast. Far as overheating goes, I shot a Memorial Day dedication in record setting heat with one - in the sun - and not a single issue. Having come over from a Canon DSLR I can tell you that I was very impressed with that.
Here's the footage for what it's worth (they called me to shoot it literally an hour before hand, so I ran out the door w/o my dead cat... which helps explain the spotty sound):
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Ey5squVxQ&feature=plcp[/media]

Visual quality remains the same between the vg20 and nex5n. I suppose it is just preference. VG20 seems un popular amongst indi film makers based on the marketing. it is perceived as a camera for recording kids birthdays, and it looks like that sort of product. It's a shame the styling is this way because it would have been a big hit if it were like a micro fs100. The vg-20 is indeed a better camera out of the box for video, but its awfully large for what it actually does compared to the beautifully small nex5n - which can be removed from the housing in 5minutes and popped in your shirt pocket (with 16mmf2.8)

On to perception again,.. In the time I have been testing the nex5n and enclosure I can honestly say I would have struggled to be taken seriously by a new client if I was using the vg-20. They make their decisions and assumptions before even seeing a sample of the final result.

• Administrators
[quote name='jdv' timestamp='1341942210' post='13699']
Hey guys - first post for me - I have a question: Why not just buy the Sony VG-20? While it doesn't have the scene color selections of the 5N, it's a proper video camera.

I have one, and it's a fun little beast. Far as overheating goes, I shot a Memorial Day dedication in record setting heat with one - in the sun - and not a single issue. Having come over from a Canon DSLR I can tell you that I was very impressed with that.
Here's the footage for what it's worth (they called me to shoot it literally an hour before hand, so I ran out the door w/o my dead cat... which helps explain the spotty sound):
[/quote]

The VG-20 retails for 3x more. Inside is the same sensor and image processor as the NEX 5N. When I first tried it out at the IFA in Berlin last year, I slated it because...

A) The build quality was very suspect. HDMI socket had broke after a day on the demo model
B) The control layout felt less intuitive than a DSLR, yet that was mostly what you were paying the significant extra money for
C) The image didn't benefit from anything extra for your 3x more... That was pretty inexcusable.
D) Didn't like the form factor... unnecessarily trad-video and very very plasticy

I don't love the VG-20, but I do love the NEX 5N and 7. Best bang for buck along with the GH2 at the moment.

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1341948873' post='13704']
ps. superb music in your video. Blaine and Mac. It sa shame this piece isnt longer.
[/quote]

I try not to murder too many cpoyrights in my videos... But it sure is a great score.

I dig what you're saying Andrew, but I just had to have something bigger then a DSLR. I'm very happy with it. I know one thing, a 5N would've overheated in about 10 minutes out in that sun. It really was brutal.

Another question Richard. I plan to buy a Metabones EF adapter for my Nex5n. Is it possible to use both the housing AND the adapter or is it too tight to put the adapter on? Because on the pictures it seems like the space around the mount is very tiny...

[quote name='Trankilstef' timestamp='1341993648' post='13735']
Another question Richard. I plan to buy a Metabones EF adapter for my Nex5n. Is it possible to use both the housing AND the adapter or is it too tight to put the adapter on? Because on the pictures it seems like the space around the mount is very tiny...
[/quote]

Good point. The prototype seen in the pictures will not accept the metabones adaptor due to the way the casing hugs around the lens/adaptor. the current prototype has been designed more specifically for non electronic lenses. However the canon 24-70 2.8 L lens was almost enough of a reason to accomodate the slight extra diameter of the metabones adaptor. So far this has not been implemented due to lack of widespread availability of the metabones adaptor at the time the decision was made.

The fact that this has been raised makes it more of a priority - and adjustments to the working prototype could be easily made the day before tooling started to progress. It wouldn't be a problem accommodating more lens/lens adaptor width. The Sony LA-EA2 on the other hand could unfortunately never be implemented in this current design due to the size. LA-EA1 will fit though.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1341917927' post='13669']
I believe Richard is waiting to see what form the GH3 takes but let's see what he says about a possible GH2 mod. Until then you can use the ReWo cage.
[/quote]

If you could get the ReWo cage.
http://shop.kids-of-all-ages.de/index.php/hersteller/rewo.html
They are no longer offered anywhere.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1341917927' post='13669']
I believe Richard is waiting to see what form the GH3 takes but let's see what he says about a possible GH2 mod. Until then you can use the ReWo cage.
[/quote]

yes i contacted Rewo and awaiting reply.. it is very pricey though.. problem is our exchange rate to Euro is about 12:1.. so it becomes almost unaffordable.
any other suggestions? someone mentioned and ABS case.. i had a look at their site but not quite sure about quality?

just an update. I have arranged for a first batch of 10 units to be made within the next few weeks - final mods being done. i'll set up an ebay listing where people can buy the enclosure. all info will be listed.

The user can then source the nex 5n and the clm v55 screen themselves to avoid import taxes etc. everything required other than the nex5n and the clm-v55 screen will be included with the order. so you will get the ABS moulded enclosure, fan system `+ battery, charger for fan battery, strap, hdmi cable, hdmi+usb adaptor, heatsink, flip up nex5n screen protector, instructions for assembly - 5-10 mins time to assemble/dissemble.

This looks totally awesome! I've been using the 5N as a 3rd camera to cover some creative wide shots during weddings, and my only problem was that it's been turning off randomly due to our hot temperatures. This would be perfect for me.

Any idea on how much the casing (without the camera or the monitor) will cost?

Hi Guys.

All pm's noted, as are personal emails sent to me. Sorry for lack of responses to some of you guys. If I haven't replied it is due to not having the exact answer for you at the moment. This isn't my main job so I am balancing this with full time work and my small amount of free time. Rest assured I will be soon releasing a small PDF info sheet which should fill in any gaps. Your questions are helping me to form a good comprehensive piece of text explaining the system. Pricing is coming in very close to the original estimate published on EOSHD's original topic. There will be a 'full rig' option, 'full rig with PL mount' option and 'housing only' option. Users or future users of the Metabones EF adaptor will be catered for with an optional modification during manufacture.

Bear with me:)
Rich

Cheers for the kind words. I think at the moment it is not visibly possible to get the price lower than this. It is simply not an item with enough of a mass market potential to warrant overseas manufacture and thus the high price reflects this. Though the price is high, I am very surprised at the lack of interest in pre orders amongst the online community. I am literally breaking my back to get the units ready. The sheer amount of technicalities involved are overwhelming.

At the moment 8 units have been pre ordered. But only one to an enthusiastic film maker from the online community. The rest are going to a production hire company to hire with 5n's, PL adaptors etc to use alongside fs-100's and F3's! They will probably earn the hire company 10 fold what they are buying these off me for. Seems a bit sad that the price seems to have made it inaccessible to most of the guys I hoped it would attract, and that all my hard work is not going to benefit many of the guys I'd hoped it would have done. If only all these guys messing with the horrible 600D, 7D etc, with £1000's of pounds worth of rigs, brackets etc were using 5N's instead:)

All I know is that after all this work, I and one other lucky guy will have a full 'production' model to use themselves - for their own projects, and that the rig is also going to be put through its paces by a fair few small productions here in the UK, and hopefully further afield. Cant wait to see them with a £££££ PL mount cine lens hanging off the front!