What lenses would you like to see in the future? Design one.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Let's start a thread about future lens development, act as if a lens manufacture is reading these posts. .

1- Every post contains just one lens proposal not too much talking about various ones and ideas. You can post 10 lenses in 10 different posts, just to keep it organized, 

2- Type your request in this format: 

Focal Length: XX-ZZmm 

Aperture range: F/YY 

Image Circle: FF/APS-C/M43s

Mount: EF/f/M43/C

Electronics: Yes or no. If yes, list them as "Yes: IS, AF, Iris control, etc" 

Body design: Aperture ring or not, Long focus throw, gears, 

Optical design: If you can write anything here please do! I can't. The only two members who will be able to fill this field are probably Brian Calldwell and Richard Gale, so not neccessary.

Expected sales: will it have a large market demand or just you? 

Personal notes: Here type why you want this, why you chose, this, type anything about it even explaining the above, 

3- If your requested lens is not physically possible, no problem, users will correct and point out mistakes hopefully so feel free to request anything even if you don't know what's possible and what's not. 

Let's go! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Focal Length: 50mm prime 

Aperture: 1.4-1.8 

Electronics: IS* and AF 

Image circle: FF 

Mount: EF 

Body design: Smooth long focus ring and a clickless/clicked switchable

Optics: Sharp, Sigma 50mm ART level or bit less,

Expected sales: Tons 

Price: Around the 500$ mark. It's just a 50mm, easiest lens to design just with IS.

Reasonability: Extremely reasonable request and very doable. Zeiss already made an 85mm F1.8 IS Batis, so it's doable, a 50mm would be even easier, much easier.

Personal notes: I just want, nay, need, a fast 50mm prime WITH image stabilization, with a long flange distance (EF mount - not Nikon mount for IS and AF and Iris to work on adapted cameras) so it would work on all cameras, with a smooth focus ring. That lens wouldn't stay on shelfs. Either Canon or Sigma or Tamron or Tokina or any manufacturer will be fine. I really need a Fast prime with high performing IS, I always image shooting just with the camera body with a 50mm at 1.4/1.8 and get steady shots. I would shoot an entire film with the the tiny camera in my hand and nothing else. That lens would also be able to take a Metabones SB and turn into an APS-C 35mm F/1.2 IS lens with AF and iris control.

Who wouldn't own one?

Waiting for other lens ideas, GO! 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

, I would like there to be an organic and sharp, changable lens mount, Full Frame,16-350mm F/2.8, 

Technically impossible to be made under the size of at least 2.5 meters length and diameter of a little under 1 meter, weight would depend but a small car would be around it. Sorry impossible, 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

You seem to generally want a lens that goes from very wide angle to telephoto at a constant aperture. 

The closest that exists for FF is a Sigma/Canon 24-105mm F4, and it's not small, and if they take it and make it go to 15mm and go to 150mm AND be 2.8, also a technical impossibility for a usably sized lens and weight. 

If you can take an APS-C, you request could be reasonable and achievable. 

There are lenses like the Canon 18-135mm IS 3.5-5.6 that is very small, if they change that to F/4 constant, it would be very doable and mangeable is size, if they go 2.8, it'd still be manageable and in the size of about a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 I would imagine. 

Your lens (a wide to telephoto constant) is one that has a VERY large market demand and nobody is doing it, people need this lens for their FS7 pm C100/C300, Ursa, Cion, and all these s35 cameras that people want to use as ENG versatile cameras. Sony's last attempt was a large 28-135mm F/4 FF lens, which is too long at 28mm for s35 cameras but a perfect ENG lens for FF cameras like the A7s, and it's 2999$ and a completely fullfledged Cine lens design wise. 

Maybe your guy's problem is that you don't know what's available over in the broadcasting realm of motion pictures... ;-)

Now.

Now, that's sufficiently bad-ass, right?  Obviously, that's as goofy as hell, but don't tell me you couldn't use such lens effects for at least one cool shot in a narrative movie.

Just remember that lenses can't defy the laws of physics. They need more room and space to bend light in extreme ways. 

There's a necessary reason that broadcast lens is the size of a mountain lion. 

As for the OP question, I'd love a sharp f0.6 30mm for m43!  Not gonna happen, but a boy can dream. 

Sigma ART lenses built into a cinema housing, electronic and manual aperture. Made by Sigma and not a third party to keep costs down (like GL Optics).

"Party Trick" lens collection, built from the ground-up to include internal special FX. Distortions, strange bokeh, light leaks, bending, tilt-shift, lens whacking, other weird stuff. Has AF for photography. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Also the PL mount lenses have long zooms and some of them are at F/2.8.

We've had a LONG discussion and research on the lens you want, a wide to telephoto with constant aperture. 

At F/4, it can be reasonably sized, the closest and recent attempt is the Sony 28-135mm F4 cine lens for FF, pretty good, and the 24-105mm F4 Canon or Sigma.

But once you want it to go to F/2.8, size explodes. You need to sacrifice the telephoto end to keep it at the same normal size of the 24-105/28-135 F/4, this shows in the 17-55mm F/2.8 lenses. 

Now If you want all three, the long reach from 55-135 plus the 17-55 wide end plus a constant F2.8, size gets beyond usable limits for most applications. There's only one lens that does it currently and it's even not a FF image circle just s35 so a FF would be even bigger, this one: 

Dwarfs the Amira. 

http://www.rentprocamera.com/assets/IMG_2259.JPG

The Canon 17-120mm F/2.8 (T/2.95) constant Cinema zoom for s35. 

-31.500$ 

So I guess the lens you want already exists just at 30 thousand dollars and needs to be carried in your trunk. 

There are physical impossibilites for lenses, when you want it to be wider, it gets bigger + longer it gets bigger + faster it gets bigger + constant it gets bigger + high quality optics it gets bigger + bigger image circle it gets bigger. And more expensive of course.

If size and weight and cost it not a problem they would have created a FF 14-300mm F/1.2 IS and it would replace the entire 120 ef lens line up. Can it be done? yes, but as big as a house, 

So reasonable requests are more likely to come to fruition and help if someone's is listening and asked for the opinion feedback thread, if. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

So to recapitulate: 

-A 30mm F/0.6 m43s lens 

-Cinema line of Sigma's ART series 

-FF EF 10-85mm F/1.8 

-10mm F/1.8 prime IS m43s lens under 500€

-FF 50mm F/1.2 under 500$ 

Anyone wants to comment on the physical possibility of any of these lenses?

Now If you want all three, the long reach from 55-135 plus the 17-55 wide end plus a constant F2.8, size gets beyond usable limits for most applications. There's only one lens that does it currently and it's even not a FF image circle just s35 so a FF would be even bigger, this one: 

Dwarfs the Amira. 

http://www.rentprocamera.com/assets/IMG_2259.JPG

The Canon 17-120mm F/2.8 (T/2.95) constant Cinema zoom for s35. 

-31.500$ 

So I guess the lens you want already exists just at 30 thousand dollars and needs to be carried in your trunk.

We just ran a job with two Amira's with these exact lenses.

They're not small, IIRC they're technically T2.95, but it's barely a difference to 2.8.

They're not super light and they're not super small - they're no Angie Optimo DP, and their image is nowhere near as nice as that out of the Angie's. But, they're really not that much bigger than say the Fuji Cabrio 19-90 (and you get a bit more on each end for slightly cheaper). It is a bit heavier, but it's really in fact smaller than some of the Cooke and Angie zooms I've shot with.

Personally, if money was no object, I'd buy a set of Hawk V-Lite Vintage '74s, perhaps a lighter non-anamorphic prime set along the lines of an Ultra Prime.. And then I'd want something along the lines of a 15-100 t2.8 with the size, weight and image quality of an Angie.

A light little 18-100 F4 for my A7s would be nice too.

So to recapitulate: 

-A 30mm F/0.6 m43s lens 

-Cinema line of Sigma's ART series 

-FF EF 10-85mm F/1.8 

-10mm F/1.8 prime IS m43s lens under 500€

-FF 50mm F/1.2 under 500$ 

Anyone wants to comment on the physical possibility of any of these lenses?

10-85mm f/1.8 is obviously impossible, both on fullframe and aps-c.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yup

*10-85mm 1.8 is surely impossible. 

*50mm f/1.4 IS is possible (and soon)

*Cine ART versions are possible (and probably soon)

*10mm F/1.8 IS m43s is possible 

*FF 50mm F1.2 under 500$, well, maybe if Samyang/mitakon/SLRmagic did one. 

*30mm F/0.6 is on the verge of what's possible,

as proven with combining a FF 50mm F/0.95 with the new GH4 0.68x SB. Would be too large for a m43s manufacturer to produce though and probably not very sharp. 

*35-105mm F2 is going a very very large cinema lens, around the size of a Canon 17-120mm F/3. And I don't think it would be a very useful focal range of s35. Just my opinion. Going below F/2.8 on a zoom is VERY challenging for lens designing in terms of size/quality ratio. 

Do you notice something? there is no overlap of requests, too many different ones. 

Keep them coming. 

Very simple wish: a Sigma ART 35-70mm/f1.8 APS-C zoom that complements the existing 18-35mm/f1.8. Those two lenses would cover 98% of all my needs. (The 18-35mm has already obsoleted my Nikon 20mm/24mm/28mm/35mm Ai-s prime kit for video - believe it or not, but the Sigma zoom is optically better than the Nikon primes.)

Very simple wish: a Sigma ART 35-70mm/f1.8 APS-C zoom that complements the existing 18-35mm/f1.8. Those two lenses would cover 98% of all my needs. (The 18-35mm has already obsoleted my Nikon 20mm/24mm/28mm/35mm Ai-s prime kit for video - believe it or not, but the Sigma zoom is optically better than the Nikon primes.)

​Nice idea, and in theory not much harder to make than the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 I think. It's also a 2x f/1.8 zoom, with 'normal' focal lengths.

Would be a nice lens on aps-c dslr's, and it would go well with Speed Boosters on smaller sensors like the GH4 / BMPCC.

my choice would be this:-

Metabones Speed Booster Ultra Maxi=

optics to provide 0.6x focal reduction from 80mm image circle to 44mm image circle (medium format down to full frame).  No expense spared, even if it were the same cost as an otus.

mount: hasselblad v/rolei 6000 to e-mount - with electronic interface for af and aperture control of rollei lenses.

I'd love to compress all the information from my rollei apo symmar 90mm onto the 42mpx a7rii sensor.

Metabones / caldwell ?  You hear me?  :)

Anamorphic 2x full frame zoom, 24-35mm f2.8 priced under $2500.

Anamorphic primes @ sub $1k for full frame, aps-c and m43. This is long over due imo.

Guess I would just like to see some affordable anamorphic options. Not adapters, but true anamorphic lenses. And while we're at it, all cameras should offer an anamorphic mode with desqueeze.