Help me on Kickstarter!

AaronChicago

Hey all. I posted a couple of weeks ago asking for advice on crowd funding, and crowd sourcing. I got some great advice, especially from Zak Forsman.

I've launched a Kickstarter and my goal is to create a short film based entirely off of a soundtrack. The said soundtrack is from Johnny Jewel (Chromatics) and can be heard here: https://soundcloud.com/johnnyjewel/symmetry-themes-for-an

I've contacted Johnny and received permission to use the score in a non-profit sense. It's very 80's influenced and the movies I'm rewatching for inspiration are Escape From New York, Terminator, Collateral, Nightcrawler, and a few more. It's going to be led my a strong female character and take place on the streets of Chicago, at night.

If you guys could help me out even with a few dollars I'd be forever grateful!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/172703888/symmetry-short-film

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

in my experience, crowdfunding campaigns at this level have much more to do with backing the person behind it, and less to do with the content of the project. aaron demonstrated an eagerness to continue his growth as an artist and that's exciting to me. his pitch video was polished enough that I know this will be executed well, whatever it turns out to be. so it's my pleasure to throw him a couple bucks if it will help give him an opportunity to learn from the kind of experience that only comes from doing it.

in my experience, crowdfunding campaigns at this level have much more to do with backing the person behind it, and less to do with the content of the project. aaron demonstrated an eagerness to continue his growth as an artist and that's exciting to me. his pitch video was polished enough that I know this will be executed well, whatever it turns out to be. so it's my pleasure to throw him a couple bucks if it will help give him an opportunity to learn from the kind of experience that only comes from doing it.

Amen.

You have a flashy video but you do not even have a plot or story or footage of the film. If you show a plot, story and footage of the film, then maybe I would donate. Here is an example of Srirachia:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/griffinhammond/srirachaa-documentary-film-by-griffin-hammond/description . The guy has a video which demonstrates that he has shot footage of the short film and not just a talking head and footage of other stuff. Kung Fury had a trailer that had footage of the film. James Rolfe's indiegogo showed that he had a script. Storyboards and reference images only mean something to you, not the audience. The audience wants to see segments. If you can spend as much money you have and shoot parts of it without the music then when you have trouble with certain parts of the film or the majority of the film when you can not shoot more, do a kickstarter. It tells me that this is real and you are serious.

And $4k? Why specifically $4k for the props, costumes, and other things? $4k also sounds a bit low if you are going to have vintage cars, unless you know someone. You made a music video based on the music like that, good, but what about the other things? Why not sell one of your cameras to make the film if it is $4k? Hey I've contacted Lifelike and like you told them I wanted to do a project with their music one day, but I was not serious because I had no plot, plan, experience or story and they still responded. You may have experience, but what about the other things. Uwe Boll showed his project on this forum and he got nothing in response. Not only was it because his story was crap, but because he had no footage of the film, no actors or actresses, nothing to go on, not even a script or plot or proof he was serious. Want to know how he acted to his possible contributors when they probably could have not known Uwe Boll and could have helped him? He said fuck you to all of them. Which I hope you do not act to your possible supporters.

The point is if you want the skyscraper built you got to start from the bottom. Not with an idea, but with blueprints and the supports made.

Zach I understand what you mean about having no story, but my goal is to reverse the process which is something unique in my opinion. That is why I wanted to get others involved. To be apart of the process. I'm creating the soundtrack FIRST, then creating a story based off of the music. I have an idea of the visual style but I'm drawing 100% inspiration off of the soundtrack (which kicks ass).

Regarding the $4000. I do have access to vintage cars, motorcycles, gear, and a sound engineer. The money will go toward 2 actors and props/wardrobe/location fees. You're right that I could do this myself if I sold a camera or something but I want the community process where people can feel apart and connected.

Hey Aaron. I was looking for a portfolio of your work to see if you have what it takes, and it took some searching but I did find your site. I wouldn't be surprised if others are interested in the same. You have some very nice work in your portfolio. Why not establish some credibility on the kickstarter page and link to it? I'd love to help you with pre-production, and possibly production if you'd like to collaborate remotely. Cheers.

Hey Aaron. I was looking for a portfolio of your work to see if you have what it takes, and it took some searching but I did find your site. I wouldn't be surprised if others are interested in the same. You have some very nice work in your portfolio. Why not establish some credibility on the kickstarter page and link to it? I'd love to help you with pre-production, and possibly production if you'd like to collaborate remotely. Cheers.

​Hi Peter, thanks for checking out my videos. My original thought in not sharing my portfolio was basically just showing relevant content in my pitch video. My portfolio is pretty heavy on the LEGO side of things b/c I do alot of work with Ninjago. I didn't want people to get the wrong impression of how I want to approach this particular short film. Where do you live by the way?