New Sigma Art 24-35 f 2.0 FF announced

sudopera

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 18-35 is optically amazing but I have not been compelled to take it out to the streets because it really seems in-your-face big. I don't know if anyone else feels the same way? This new lens is almost twice as heavy and has less focal range. Not sure how useful it will be really? 

It's not much bigger/heavier than a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 II. It's aimed at dslr photographers - Canon 5DS / Nikon D810. Not really a huge lens on those kind of camera's. Of course a fullframe f/2 zoom is going to be big...

​I personally don't mind the weight, I like a little heavier bodies and lenses, it feels more balanced in my hands. I think this lens paired with A7R II / A7S II IBIS would be a great combo.

As Julian said, it is quite normal for this kind of a lens to be big. Of course, for APS-C users it's probably not that appealing because of the small range and not being wide enough(36-52mm in APS-C), but full frame shooters get 24,28,35mm primes in one lens if it is good as advertised.

There's no free lunch in optics. Light, fast, cheap. Pick two.

Personally, even though the range is quite short, I think it's useful to have a zoom that can double as a variable prime. Many of the big cinema lens manufacturers (Zeiss, Cooke, Panavision, etc) bend over backwards to provide as many focal lengths as possible in this 24mm-35mm range. There's a reason why Cooke S4s come in 25mm, 27mm, 32mm and 35mm focal lengths. If you're very particular about your frame, a couple of millimeters makes a big difference.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Why does this disappoint me? It just does. 

Instead of this announcment, I would have been more excited with a Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 IS ART with ART optical quality that takes the FF market by storm. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

How much is it? with a SB it will be a 16-24mm F1.4 APS-C lens, better for most than the 18-35mm F1.8. Does it cost much more?

Price is not announced yet. Rumoured to be €849, but no idea if that's true... If it's true, it might be a steal if Sigma delivers on their prime-quality claim.

I agree, a 24-70mm f/2.8 IS with ART quality would be great. But I think it's smart Sigma made something different. The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II is already very good, and so is the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC (stabilized!).

It's probably very difficult to come up with something that is significantly better. Look at Sigma's 24-105mm f/4 OS. It's a good lens, but not miles ahead of the EF 24-105mm. Sigma has said before it's very difficult to make such zoom lenses.