Sony A6000 XAVC S Firmware V2.0

JurijTurnsek

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Lovely! We've been asking for SO long it's strange it was possible all this time and they didn't do it. Firmware feedback really takes a loooong cycle it appears with such large companies ranging from 6 months to a year...

A meaningful firmware update from Sony, I never thought I'd see the day. Updating my A6000 now. I honestly thought they'd release an A6100 and leave the people that bought a camera 8 whole months ago out to dry, like they usually do. My theory is the A7000 is quite seriously delayed and they're plugging a gap in their ASP-C lineup.

I've never noticed overheating on the A6000, whereas it was definitely an issue on the NEX 5N. I've never bothered doing a stress test tho (leaving it running continuously in the desert or whatever). The SDXC card I ordered hasn't arrived yet so I haven't been able to use XAVC-S yet.

Really want to see a comparison. I have 8 32gb SD cards that will be unusable after the update. 

​You can still shoot avchd.

And SD cards are really cheap right now. Can get 32GB class 10 here for €10 and you can sell your old ones. It probably won't hurt your budget much.

Even Panasonic with the GH4

It's Fujifilm who raised the bar and started to show what's possible with firmware updates. Not as relevant for filmmakers, but the things they do for photographers with firmware updates is amazing. Every time they release a new camera you get almost all the new functions (that aren't hardware bound) on the old version.

How bad is overheating on these things, actually?

​Can't speak for the A6000, but I have the A5100 (because of XAVC and the touchscreen) - I shot a dance performance indoors and it was my static wide shot with the 10-18 lens on a gorillapod. I did three consecutive takes of 25, 28 and 28 minutes and there were no overheating issues. This is so much better than my old 5n or Nex7 which would overheat in less than 10 minutes on the first take and usually about 3-4 minutes with each subsequent take. I live in Florida and frequently shoot outdoors in really hot weather, the A5100 has been great for me. Can't wait for its 4k replacement.

I've never noticed overheating on the A6000, whereas it was definitely an issue on the NEX 5N. I've never bothered doing a stress test tho (leaving it running continuously in the desert or whatever). The SDXC card I ordered hasn't arrived yet so I haven't been able to use XAVC-S yet.

​Can't speak for the A6000, but I have the A5100 (because of XAVC and the touchscreen) - I shot a dance performance indoors and it was my static wide shot with the 10-18 lens on a gorillapod. I did three consecutive takes of 25, 28 and 28 minutes and there were no overheating issues. This is so much better than my old 5n or Nex7 which would overheat in less than 10 minutes on the first take and usually about 3-4 minutes with each subsequent take. I live in Florida and frequently shoot outdoors in really hot weather, the A5100 has been great for me. Can't wait for its 4k replacement.

My A5100 overheats on me, but nothing as bad as what I hear about from the older NEX models.

​Thanks for that, guys. Might just ditch the D5300 for the A6000 then.

​If you're a hybrid shooter, keep in mind that the Sony still uses lossy 11+7 bit compression for its stills and has no mic jack for video. 

​Well, as a liveview shooter (the D5300 was my first non-mirrorless), hybrid shooting on the D5300 isn't the greatest experience there is, so I need to either give in and start appreciating the OVF or perhaps give up on stills altogether. Then there's the thing that I have a bunch of vintage and third party lenses and the most I can get of them now is from a 16MP M43 sensor... so it would be actually kinda nice to have those 24MP albeit full manual operation, since the only native lens for the Sony would then be the kitlens that comes with it. Atleast it would still have some mirrorless features mirrored cameras just don't offer. So XAVC-S coming to the A6000 might just seal the deal; was just wondering about the overheating issues. Will have to keep a lookout, maybe I can spot a nice deal. Thanks for the input.