First Sony A7R II user experiences - global shutter and native ISO 800?

Andrew Reid

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

1- They solved it with making the body significantly larger, with better heat management from the sensor and the sensor components them selves do not generate as much heat as the earlier ones due to the changed materials. 

2- Maximum record time is 29:59 minutes. 

3- The internal 4K (only UHD-3840x2160) is XAVC-S, H.264, 8bit, 4:2:0, with a 100 mega bits per second bit rate. The HDMI output is the same not 10bit. There are two options to record UHD one is using the FF sensor, with the penality of having aliasing/moire and worse rolling shutter, and a s35 1.5x crop that's absolutely clean. 

4- Not sure but I do think it does have wifi capability. Double check on that one.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

All 4K footage keys extremely well, better than 1080p 10bit 4:2:2. I wouldn't worry about keying with the A7r mkII,

I'd worry more about banding and codec artefacts that will appear when pushing the exposure up as with all 8bit 4:2:0 100mbps cameras. 

​Are you referring to STILL or MOVIE Images in your declaration? Hybrids are expected to COMPROMISE to achieve a balance.

​I'm with you.  I'm just pointing out that for professional MOVIE filming only, which the C100 is aimed at, the "better" hybrid specifications are misleading.   

There is no denying that this looks like an impressive camera, but I'm going nowhere near the pre-order button until I've actually tried it on a professional shoot. I do that with all new cameras, throw them into the deep end straight away and start shooting a paid project.  The 4k, 5-axis, Slog2 etc means nothing until it's been put through it's paces. 

yes! My hope for a7s2 is 24mp allowing for 4k apsc mode.

​Actually, Sony only need bump the A7S2 up to 18MP to allow for a true 4K APSC mode.

If they bump all the way up to 24MP, the question quickly arises:  Why does the A7 exist?  The A7R2 and the A7S2 would cover all bases and the normal A7 gets squeezed out.

why the hell do they put a 30 minutes limit on video recording on their high end 3k$ prosumer camera ? (the gh4 is half the price and has no time limit, are the gh4 and the 2 blackmagic 4k the only three sub $3000 interchangeable lens camera to be free of this 30 min limit in 4k?)

why the hell do they put a 30 minutes limit on video recording on their high end 3k$ prosumer camera ? (the gh4 is half the price and has no time limit, are the gh4 and the 2 blackmagic 4k the only three sub $3000 interchangeable lens camera to be free of this 30 min limit in 4k?)

​the gh4 has recording limit in europe

​Because to be able to record continually, they would need to be more like a RED than like a mirrorless!!! Heat builds up!!!

​Because to be able to record continually, they would need to be more like a RED than like a mirrorless!!! Heat builds up!!!

​you are right there is a heat issue but i notice that a tiny gopro4 enclosed in a waterproof plastic shell that is not good at dissipating heat can still record 4k for hours. even if a full frame sensor dissipates more heat than a gopro size sensor, there are obviously ways to dissipate heat in such a bigger camera body, they already have fans on pricier camera, a fan costs tens of cents.

Not true... This is nothing to do with technical limits. It's about taxes:

http://***URL removed***/articles/0794343949/wto-looking-at-moves-to-remove-30-minute-limit-from-digital-cameras

​i know there is a tax in europe but it is a 5% tax, any customer in europe would be happy to pay 5% more and have no time limit, the camera makers know that but i think they are just protecting their high end pricy market cameras at world level by applying the linit to the world. when there are no longer technical arguments to differentiate these markets they need to add artificial restrictions, like lower bitrate, time limits, remove a 50cts headphone jack  etc ... the problem is that hardware R&D is driven by mass market components so progress will come from low end hardware, they will have more and more problem defending their high end market because there will no more be high end sensors . this already happend in cpu and in 3d graphic cards because there is 100x more R&D investment on these chips. camera sensor makers invest much more r&d on smartphone camera sized sensors and not on full frame sensors because they sell 10000x more smartphone sensors than full frame sensors. the other incentive to use smaller sensor is the rejection yield is so much greater on bigger sensors, i bet we will see in the next 5 years see bigger sensors replaced by multiple smaller sensors recreating better images at a lower cost with computational photography (http://linximaging.com/).

• Super Members

​i know there is a tax in europe but i was speaking of the US market.

My guess,

It costs more to manufacture two models with two names, separate boxes, firmware, manuals and so on when they can just make one.

It will of course upset a few enthusiasts like us here and there but the absolute majority of camera buyers couldn't care less.

My guess,

It costs more to manufacture two models with two names, separate boxes, firmware, manuals and so on when they can just make one.

It will of course upset a few enthusiasts like us here and there but the absolute majority of camera buyers couldn't care less.

1. ​the cost to have 2 different model in us and europe is not that big, they choose 30 min for all because people in europe by camera on the US market making their strategy inneficient ( you remember the dvd with the region protection :) )

• Super Members
  1. ​the cost to have 2 different model in us and europe is not that big, they choose 30 min for all because people in europe by camera on the US market making their strategy inneficient ( you remember the dvd with the region protection :) )

That might be a reason as well. But any cost is bigger than no cost :)

​i know there is a tax in europe but it is a 5% tax, any customer in europe would be happy to pay 5% more and have no time limit.

​I don't. I prefer paying 5% less and having the 30 minute recording limit I'll never reach anyway.

Of course I understand there are plenty of people who'd pay the extra for not having the limit, but I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't have a problem with 30 minutes max.

• Super Members

​I don't. I prefer paying 5% less and having the 30 minute recording limit I'll never reach anyway.

Of course I understand there are plenty of people who'd pay the extra for not having the limit, but I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't have a problem with 30 minutes max.

Same here, and I don't know where he got 5% from. Where I live it's 14%.

Off topic, It's funny how some say "Europe", "Africa" or "America" like it was just a country :)

It's funny how some say "Europe", "Africa" or "America" like it was just a country

We can't think about everything.  Americans got enough on our plate (that's literal, not metaphorical). 

For instance, our Olympians are changing their gender 40 years after they were in the spotlight, so you shouldn't expect us to concentrate on lesser issues.