Matching NX1 with Red Dragon - Anyone interested in the results?

Endfallow Media

I find those setting the best balance between good skin tones right out of the camera and edit-ability. If you want a flatter image put the contrast at -5 and black level at +15. Don't drop the contrast any further though because the color banding and weird color gradients start appearing if you push it.

Yikes. I hadn't read about the banding issue. Thanks again for the tips.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, contrast seems to be best at -5, see some test shots on this, along with other thoughts/conclusions in the NX1 DR settings thread. Basically: DR gamma, sharpness -10, contrast -5.

I'm not sure why you'd want to increase the black level. I can see it helping if you're delivering straight out of the camera, but otherwise I see it as simply wasting the low end of the encoding range.

Yes, contrast seems to be best at -5, see some test shots on this, along with other thoughts/conclusions in the NX1 DR settings thread. Basically: DR gamma, sharpness -10, contrast -5.

I'm not sure why you'd want to increase the black level. I can see it helping if you're delivering straight out of the camera, but otherwise I see it as simply wasting the low end of the encoding range.

Raising the black level lowers the contrast by bringing up detail in the shadows. 

I certainly see where you're coming from, and I don't think I disagree, but I'm simply just not of that caliber or mindset. I run a small studio, and outside of client work and the occational passion project, I'd rather just spend my time with my family and friends. I know that's prob lame, but I'm simple that way. Now I've definitely watched my share of technical tests, but I have to admit, I don't get a lot of practical use out of them. I'm not certain what CML is, please excuse my ignorance, but I imagine if they're doing formal tests, are doing many of them, there evironments are very controlled and there methods are very procedural, well tested and exacting. That's sounds like a full time job, and just can't swing it.

As for the lenses, agreed. Will be def be using the same lenses on each body. At the moment all but the new 14mm & 35mm are Canon glass, but I'm pretty sure I can wrangle some manual Nikon or vintage glass, as well.

​When you get older and more experienced you'll see the value in those camera tests - to quanitfy things such as sharpness, dynamic range, Not just stylistic examples of the potential of a camera.  The science of cinematography.

Pretty much since the beginning of cinematography it's common to shoot tests - to test film stocks and see how far you can push a film stock.  All major motion pictures have this built into the pre-production of a film.  It's more important when shooting film because once you get going, you can't really easily stop and switch film stocks.  

CML is "cinematographer mailing list" started in 1997 I think by Geoff Boyle an established DOP.  He started basically the whole online camera exchange.  

The title is sounds a little more provocative that it should.  What it boils down to is that I decided to pick up an NX1 and couple Rokinon DS lenses, and we're curious how usable the NX1 is as a 4k B cam for the Dragon.  Now I'm not one for test videos, never made one and would rather not, but I am willing to post my experiences and a little footage if they community would be interested in the results.  I looked around a bit and didn't see anyone else who'd posted the same info, so if you're interested, go ahead and chime in, and I'll be sure and update the thread. If it only ends up only being a person or two interested, I'm happy to keep it off of the forum and just email individual parties.  Lemme know.

Where is the footage?

​When you get older and more experienced you'll see the value in those camera tests - to quanitfy things such as sharpness, dynamic range, Not just stylistic examples of the potential of a camera.  The science of cinematography.

Pretty much since the beginning of cinematography it's common to shoot tests - to test film stocks and see how far you can push a film stock.  All major motion pictures have this built into the pre-production of a film.  It's more important when shooting film because once you get going, you can't really easily stop and switch film stocks.  

CML is "cinematographer mailing list" started in 1997 I think by Geoff Boyle an established DOP.  He started basically the whole online camera exchange.  

I certainly have a lot to learn, particularly in the cinematic realm. My experience has always been in the turn and burn work of small business and short promotional video. However, I'm genuinely interested in the long form, crafted world of cinema, just never really dipped you goes in at that level. I'll be sure and check out CML and perhaps spend some more time considering the nuts and bolts technical side of video. Thx for the advise.

Where is the footage?

From an earlier post:

"In reviewing my initial post, particularly the wording of the title, I see how I led some astray. We won't be shooting until this coming weekend (Sat/one week from now), and I will post my thoughts and the examples shortly after. Sorry for the confusion."

Again, sorry for the confusion.

When you don't want to edit or grade, but just take footage ooc, which are the most 'real life' settings for nx1? 

​​I'm no video expert, but I was amazed just how natural the colours out of the NX1 using the following settings that I think I read Andrew was using somewhere along the line ... Gamma DR, Contrast -5, Master Black Level +10 & luminance at 16-235. At 4k everything seems a bit too sharp though and now prefer it left at zero. But for colours looking natural, and usability SOOC, this camera is pretty amazing I think. https://vimeo.com/126548066 

Slight hiccup.  Thanks to eBay, freaking scam cesspool that it is, of the three lenses I ordered: 14mm, 35mm, 85mm, the a latter two arrived and turned out to both be original Cine lenses, and not the DS line. Not the biggest deal, but certainly not what I payed for. That said, being I'll only have the 14mm and an old 50mm Nikon D this weekend, I may have to delay the shooting comparison, just until I can get some new lenses in. Slight chance I may just try anyway and see if I can get something. I'll keep you all posted.

yes plz Mr.Endfallow Media.

Mr. Endfallow Media is my fathers name.  Just kidding.  Joshua works just fine. 

Did they put up fake pics of the lenses? That happened to me once :-/ 

The guy just googled the lens and put up images rather than using images of the actual lens! He thought it would be exactly the same thing, not realising the images he put up were of an entirely different mount to what he uploaded.....  IDIOT. 

It was actually two different sellers, but yes, the ad/image was DS, but received Original Cine. eBay is just plain awful.  Sold my first auction last month, and I had to list it THREE different times, due to scammers. Took about a month to resolve, which meant I had thousands of dollars just sitting there, and no access to it. My wife banned me from buying or selling on there any longer. B&H, Adorama, and Amazon Prime are my go-to's anyway.  =]

Only twice had something. One time a lens came with a stuck aperture. One time it was a different lens altogether.

The first gave me a partial refund the 2nd sent me the correct lens and told me to keep the other as well.

Do have to admit, both times it was a lens from the USA. :P Hum. Never had such problems with items from the European continent...

Anyways. Hopefully you get it sorted! Would definitly be interested to see the mix 'n match.