What is this digital cinema camera?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/mystery-camera.jpg[/img]

Find out tomorrow on EOSHD…

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/8371/what-is-this-digital-cinema-camera/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote author=christianhubbard link=topic=951.msg6934#msg6934 date=1341771054]
I feel like if it was something really meaningful, andrew would have been too excited to not tell us until tomorrow.

Hope i'm wrong.
[/quote]
I don't think you're wrong. Plus, if it's a truly new camera, it's unlikely that EOSHD.com would get the exclusive. It would likely be all over the interwebs. But I'll play along anyway. It's a 4K-sensor-based camera from GoPro, and it outputs CineForm RAW as well as CinemaDNG and log DNxHD. Like the Blackmagic Design camera, it has a built-in 6-Gbps SSD drive and 3G-SDI port, but also an HDMI port and dual XLRs. Its sensor has a global shutter, a dual readout (yielding a dynamic range of 110 dB -- more than 16 stops), and frame rates up to 120 fps. It costs $3,795 without the lens or LCD.

[quote author=Tzedekh link=topic=951.msg6935#msg6935 date=1341771563]
I feel like if it was something really meaningful, andrew would have been too excited to not tell us until tomorrow.

Hope i'm wrong.
[/quote]
I don't think you're wrong. Plus, if it's a truly new camera, it's unlikely that EOSHD.com would get the exclusive. It would likely be all over the interwebs. But I'll play along anyway. It's a 4K-sensor-based camera from GoPro, and it outputs CineForm RAW as well as CinemaDNG and log DNxHD. Like the Blackmagic Design camera, it has a built-in 6-Gbps SSD drive and 3G-SDI port, but also an HDMI port and dual XLRs. Its sensor has a global shutter, a dual readout (yielding a dynamic range of 110 dB -- more than 16 stops), and frame rates up to 120 fps. It costs $3,795 without the lens or LCD.
[/quote]

no way it takes a ssd.

wouldn't be surprised if gopro decided to take a shot at the prosumer market in a form that isnt a disposable camera, considering they own cineform. no xlrs, no global shutter, no 4k, and this might be semi-realistic. Though i'm not sure how successful it would be.

Seems like some asian design? Definitely some prototype model!
Here is an "enhanced" image of the camera: http://imgur.com/a/9MClR
- What is that text on the lens? Noktor 50mm f/0.95?
- Screw/strap size indicates Four Thirds system?

[quote author=christianhubbard link=topic=951.msg6943#msg6943 date=1341777195]
[quote author=Tzedekh link=topic=951.msg6935#msg6935 date=1341771563]

Hope i'm wrong.
[/quote]
[/quote]

no way it takes a ssd.

wouldn't be surprised if gopro decided to take a shot at the prosumer market in a form that isnt a disposable camera, considering they own cineform. no xlrs, no global shutter, no 4k, and this might be semi-realistic. Though i'm not sure how successful it would be.
[/quote]
"no way it takes a ssd. . . . no xlrs, no global shutter, no 4k . . ." No point, then. If you consider $3,795 semi-realistic with none of those features, then you'll be pleasantly surprised to know that the BMC has an SSD and the Digital Bolex has one, too, as well XLRs and a global shutter. And both are priced well below $3,795. If the new camera doesn't offer something different or better -- or at least a lower price -- there really isn't much point.

It does look pretty professional, but it indeed seems unlikely that a major manufacturer would give a prototype to EOSHD of all places

So here is my take:

The  German digital bolex - a mockup of a few hipsters in Berlin with grand ambitions, some funding, a keen eye on what get's the prosumer market excited but no / little chance to ever ship a working product in significant quantities at the promised price point & with all announced features.

• Administrators
[quote author=blindriver link=topic=951.msg6948#msg6948 date=1341781387]
It does look pretty professional, but it indeed seems unlikely that a major manufacturer would give a prototype to EOSHD of all places[/quote]

Why?

"no way it takes a ssd. . . . no xlrs, no global shutter, no 4k . . ." No point, then. If you consider $3,795 semi-realistic with none of those features, then you'll be pleasantly surprised to know that the BMC has an SSD and the Digital Bolex has one, too, as well XLRs and a global shutter. And both are priced well below $3,795. If the new camera doesn't offer something different or better -- or at least a lower price -- there really isn't much point.
[/quote]

super35mm sensor would make it worth it for me..