Mixing 4K footage from GH4 and Gopro...

jnorman34

here is a short doc video I did for the state historical society where I used a GH4 on a tripod for some of it, and a Gopro 4 with a Zhiyun Z1 3-axis handheld gimbal to add some moving shots.  It was a bit tricky getting the correct balance between the GH4 footage and the "protune" color from the Gopro.   Does it work okay in your opinion, or are there things I should be doing to better balance the footage from the two cameras?  thanks for any comments.

watch?v=bhKBwI0KJxI

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi!

I think you should use distortion correction on the gopro footages (Lock & Load plugin from coremelt.com has a free one), without it the difference is too obvious. You used a really wide angle lens (7-14?) on the GH4, which has a really close field of view to the gopro lens, but without the barrel distortion. 

The GH4 footage is punchy, but the gopro footage lack of a little contrast compared to it.

The dynamic range difference is too obvious, maybe next time you should underexpose -1EV on GoPro Protune for some highlight protection, and dont use Superview, it's much harder to correct in post

I think 24p or 25p would look nicer than 30p, it's "too fluid"

Anyway it's a nice postcard, the interiors are great!

here is a short doc video I did for the state historical society where I used a GH4 on a tripod for some of it, and a Gopro 4 with a Zhiyun Z1 3-axis handheld gimbal to add some moving shots.  It was a bit tricky getting the correct balance between the GH4 footage and the "protune" color from the Gopro.   Does it work okay in your opinion, or are there things I should be doing to better balance the footage from the two cameras?  thanks for any comments.

watch?v=bhKBwI0KJxI

You should convert your GoPro footage to ProRes, very bad compression artifacts letting me know you are editing off of the internal H.264. Yes this will create massive files, but it will make your footage look that much better. H.264 is NOT an editing codec even though many people make that mistake. This is one main reason why shooting on RED,ARRI,BLACK MAGIC, etc the internal codec is of much higher quality but even still 99% of the time if it's not recorded in ProRes it's god to convert to it or other similar codecs if you're in "PC" world.

*Color balance looks pretty close, GoPro footage just needs more contrast. Also I agree that you should shoot in medium field of view mode for these types of specific shoots. I usually use the Superview when doing aerials as I love the slight "fisheye" effect.