Samsung NX500 -- Panasonic LX100 --Sony RX10 II?

David Brunckhorst

Hi guys,

If you don't mind me complimenting you, but the information on this forum is the most on point in regards to digital filmmaking, indie filmaking and the like.

Therefore, I'd love if you could chime on what it might be a dilemma for me, right now. I'd love to purchase a camera for some arty/indie filmaking, and I'm torn between these three cameras that are mentioned in the title. (the Sony being the only one we cannot properly check). I was trying to decipher what all the reviewers are saying, but I am still puzzled about a few things.

So, there you go. I am not that worried about interchangeable lens. Sound as well. What I am worried about it is the cinematic quality of an image. Broadcast quality. Can we say with some certainty, which one has the "best" image? (most details, least artificial video look etc). Will Sony win that round - do we know? Obviously, ability to shoot 240fps in 1080p is great,  but what's the quality of the image? What IS important for me is the low-light capabilities of each camera. I will be using a camera mainly for some guerilla micro-budget projects. That's the scoop. I'd super appreciate if someone can comment on it.  Cheers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I agree g7 looks like something you might want to consider. swapping slightly soft, cinematic lenses could help fix that video feel that these all may have a little. and could be your best bet with low light too. lx100 would probably be my next choice, with decent low light and some ability to get a shallow depth of field which can help it feel more cinematic rather than teeny sensor video

. lx100 would probably be my next choice, with decent low light and some ability to get a shallow depth of field which can help it feel more cinematic rather than teeny sensor video

1-inch sensor is 2.7 crop (assuming the 4k on the rx10ii doesn't crop in any further), Lx100 has a 2.4 crop in 4k mode, so there's not that much difference in size. 

Sorry guys, I guess I need some time to learn to quote properly. Just wish to thank you for all your comments. I guess the general consensus is Panasonic DMC-G7  for a cinematic look, but LX100 close second for "all-in-one" compact plus shallow depth of field and low light capabilities. 

I think you should swap the NX500 for the Panasonic G7 on your list. The NX500 crop factor is a deal breaker.

The choice between interchangeable lens and fixed lens you have to make yourself.

At this point, I don't need a camera with interchangeable lens. 

Well if you need telephoto then the LX100 can be eliminated.

If you don't need telephoto and you are looking for a cheap all in one solution the LX100 looks hard to beat.  Isn't it about half the price as the RX10 ii?

Maybe wait a while untill more RX10 info and samples come out.

​I don't need a telephoto. I don't need anything longer than 70mm to be honest.

• Panasonic
  • DMC-G7HK
  •  
  • Motion picture*
  • MP4*:NTSC area
  • MP4*:PAL area
  • AVCHD*:NTSC area
  • AVCHD*:PAL area

Hi guys,

If you don't mind me complimenting you, but the information on this forum is the most on point in regards to digital filmmaking, indie filmaking and the like.

Therefore, I'd love if you could chime on what it might be a dilemma for me, right now. I'd love to purchase a camera for some arty/indie filmaking, and I'm torn between these three cameras that are mentioned in the title. (the Sony being the only one we cannot properly check). I was trying to decipher what all the reviewers are saying, but I am still puzzled about a few things.

So, there you go. I am not that worried about interchangeable lens. Sound as well. What I am worried about it is the cinematic quality of an image. Broadcast quality. Can we say with some certainty, which one has the "best" image? (most details, least artificial video look etc). Will Sony win that round - do we know? Obviously, ability to shoot 240fps in 1080p is great,  but what's the quality of the image? What IS important for me is the low-light capabilities of each camera. I will be using a camera mainly for some guerilla micro-budget projects. That's the scoop. I'd super appreciate if someone can comment on it.  Cheers.

If you could get your hands on each camera, for a day or so, it would really help you get a perspective on things. 

I am actually quite surprised, that not enough well graded videos of the LX100 have made it online. Check these 3: 

These should, hopefully, help you appreciate the video quality. 

If you could get your hands on each camera, for a day or so, it would really help you get a perspective on things. 

I am actually quite surprised, that not enough well graded videos of the LX100 have made it online. Check these 3: 

These should, hopefully, help you appreciate the video quality. 

​Cheers, they look pretty good! However, I'm now leaning towards G7, it seems way better!