A7s Using an E-Mount (Loss of sharpness?)

exomonkeyman

Hello there forums (:

Iv'e been gathering a lense collection of samyang/tokina t1.5 full frame manual video primes before i decide to upgrade to an A7s from my 60D (So i will have a good lens collection to actually use)

Sadly there all on the canon Emount and i'm curious if there is anything really important i should know about such as (Sharpness loss, more chromatic aberration, blurring of edges, vinyetting & perhaps even 24mm being pushed to a 20/28mm due to the the distance of the lens and the mount?) before i decide to use an Emount adapter on a Sony A7s.

Or is there no difference?

Any knowledge would save me a bunch of time and effort.

P.S

Samuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sony A7S = E mount
Canon = EF mount

Your question is about using Canon EF lenses on the Sony A7S, right?

The focal length does not change. Sharpness and chromatic aberration won't make any difference: unless you use electronic Canon lenses on your Canon camera with automatic lens profile corrections (active on jpg files you shoot with the camera, maybe in video too, not sure about that).

Anyway, your manual video primes should work the same on the A7S as they did on the 60D. The biggest difference is the crop factor of course. The A7S is fullframe, so your 24mm will give you a much bigger field of view. On the A7S it is actually 24mm, instead of 38mm (equivalent) on the 60D (24 x1,6x cropfactor).

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

No problems in using EF canon lenses on E mount sony with any adapter. Everyone on this forum is doing it. Performs optically the same. You'll just lose AF, and IS & Aperture control if you don't buy a more expensive Smart adapter (metabones) vs a cheap non-electronic one.

Remember that if you use an EF-S lens (a crop sensor lens) it will not cover the A7s FF sensor so you'll need to switch to s35 crop mode, while with FF lenses you can use the entire sensor which is the same size as a FF Canon 5D/6D/1dx

Hello there forums (:

Iv'e been gathering a lense collection of samyang/tokina t1.5 full frame manual video primes before i decide to upgrade to an A7s from my 60D (So i will have a good lens collection to actually use)

Sadly there all on the canon Emount and i'm curious if there is anything really important i should know about such as (Sharpness loss, more chromatic aberration, blurring of edges, vinyetting & perhaps even 24mm being pushed to a 20/28mm due to the the distance of the lens and the mount?) before i decide to use an Emount adapter on a Sony A7s.

Or is there no difference?

Any knowledge would save me a bunch of time and effort.

P.S

Samuel

​Samyang/Tokina lenses are NOT Sharp especially at T1.5.........

Where did he or anyone else claim it to be sharp and who said anything about shooting at T1.5?

Just trying to see the point of your post. 

His thread title/post....... He's worried about losing sharpness with these lenses on Sony A7s, my point being he already is losing sharpness as those lens are not sharp to begin with, especially shooting at T1.5 which those lenses should not even be rated as, as you really cannot use them until T4 and above, specially if he is using the 24mm lens which is their worst lens in the series.

Honestly all of the Rokinon/Saymang lenses are very bad/poor with horrible onion bokeh, ca, purple fringing, etc.... You want to shine on the Sony A7s go and grab some Zeiss lenses like the Loxia, Batis or even the Sony FE's. Heck I would even use the Sigma 18-35mm in APS-C mode for an excellent sharp image. Personally I would not be using Rokinon lenses at all due to their inconsistency from lens to lens.

His thread title/post....... He's worried about losing sharpness with these lenses on Sony A7s, my point being he already is losing sharpness as those lens are not sharp to begin with, especially shooting at T1.5 which those lenses should not even be rated as, as you really cannot use them until T4 and above, specially if he is using the 24mm lens which is their worst lens in the series.

I don't think this is general for Samyang/rokinon: I have always had the impression that the lens outresolves the sensor on the A7S. I use an 85mm​ T1.5, and when shooting stills with it on A7S, they are sharp up to pixel level

so for HD film it just works perfect?

Hey guys thanks "paulraymaekers,Julian,Ebrahim Saadawi,Mattias Burlingso much this helps massively!

and btw "j.f.r.Really off topic and you sound a little rude just throwing facts about how bad the lenses are i bought. as an indie filmmaker i don't have or really wanna spend $700+ on lenses when being honest at a certain point in my style of filmmaking it comes down to how much i can push the image in DR and the range in the camera than the lens. (also i'm using the 35mm t1.5)

For a canon 60D in video mode (it takes very blury video) i think this is pretty good (:

http://cl.ly/image/2W42340g373p

Thx for help guys!

Hey guys thanks "paulraymaekers,Julian,Ebrahim Saadawi,Mattias Burlingso much this helps massively!

and btw "j.f.r.Really off topic and you sound a little rude just throwing facts about how bad the lenses are i bought. as an indie filmmaker i don't have or really wanna spend $700+ on lenses when being honest at a certain point in my style of filmmaking it comes down to how much i can push the image in DR and the range in the camera than the lens. (also i'm using the 35mm t1.5)

For a canon 60D in video mode (it takes very blury video) i think this is pretty good (:

http://cl.ly/image/2W42340g373p

Thx for help guys!

​The only thing "rude" or Lack of respect is when someone doesn't take advice from someone who is more experienced. I speak first hand and tell you those lenses are not very good and a cheap 50mm Canon 1.8 (new model) cost less than $150 and is a much better lens than anything in the Rokinon lineup. Now since you're a "filmmaker" continue making films then I guess , but then again you want to upgrade from a 60D to a Sony A7s......... 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

If we want to discuss lenses sharpness please start a new topic for members to see and contribute. This was a thread on someone asking if there's sharpness loss from using non-glass adapters and the answer is no.

No optical loss unless the adapter is so missed up that it doesn't have the correct thickness (flange distance), and even then sharpness isn't affected just the ability to infinity focus and minimum focus distance change. And even that never occurred to me with the crappiest least expensive 3$ adapters, they all get the flange distance right. But make sure you get a decent one just to be sure.

​The only thing "rude" or Lack of respect is when someone doesn't take advice from someone who is more experienced. I speak first hand and tell you those lenses are not very good and a cheap 50mm Canon 1.8 (new model) cost less than $150 and is a much better lens than anything in the Rokinon lineup. Now since you're a "filmmaker" continue making films then I guess , but then again you want to upgrade from a 60D to a Sony A7s......... 

​As "Ebrahim Saadawisaid lets not go off topic here.

Let me just put this last word in. I have taken your advice it was just off topic to what i was talking about... and you recommended zeiss lenses... of course there sharper.. there expensive for someone like me. Who would have knew spending $700-900 on a lense would give you better results than a £300 lense (: I do like the sigma 18-35mm though. I'm a very big hobbyist so money is a challenge and i work with what i got. When i broke down what you said all i really got from it was (bad samyang lense, spend more $$$ for obviously better lenses)

j.f.r. Thanks for the help, i'll keep zeiss lenses in mind in the future.

j.f.r. Thanks for the help, i'll keep zeiss lenses in mind in the future.

​Honestly with the Sony A7s you can use an F/4 lens and basically accomplish 90% of the shots you need. I would not hesitate to sell the Rokinon lenses and buy the Canon 24-105mm F/4 which you can find new for around $600-$700 and will be an all in one lens.

My setup would be Canon 24-105mm and a Canon 50mm 1.8

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-24-105mm-White-Accessory-Cameras/dp/B00KGFYMK8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434235593&sr=8-2&keywords=Canon+24-105mm

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00X8MRBCW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434235670&sr=1-1&keywords=Canon+50mm+1.8

With those two lenses you can shoot basically anything narrative or commercially.......

​Honestly with the Sony A7s you can use an F/4 lens and basically accomplish 90% of the shots you need. I would not hesitate to sell the Rokinon lenses and buy the Canon 24-105mm F/4 which you can find new for around $600-$700 and will be an all in one lens.

My setup would be Canon 24-105mm and a Canon 50mm 1.8

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-24-105mm-White-Accessory-Cameras/dp/B00KGFYMK8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434235593&sr=8-2&keywords=Canon+24-105mm

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00X8MRBCW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434235670&sr=1-1&keywords=Canon+50mm+1.8

With those two lenses you can shoot basically anything narrative or commercially.......

​Now this is a cool setup. Thinking of the 24-105mm at f4 on an a7s and it's impressive low light would work nicely.

I'll keep this in mind man (:

Exomonkeyman - do't listen to any of the bullshit coming from the wedding photographer.

Those lenses are fine, and usable at t 1.5. Don't buy a zoom, working with primes makes you a better DOP.

I have shot a bunch of stuff on the samyang lenses, paid stuff, shortfilms, documentaries - they are very good value, with focus gears, smooth aperture control and an ok built quality.

Check this out my friend studying cinematography shot on those lenses and a black magic cinema camera:

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Exomonkeyman - do't listen to any of the bullshit coming from the wedding photographer.

​Be civil. It's an opinion just as good as yours. Manners.

Those lenses are fine, and usable at t 1.5. Don't buy a zoom, working with primes makes you a better DOP.

I have shot a bunch of stuff on the samyang lenses, paid stuff, shortfilms, documentaries - they are very good value, with focus gears, smooth aperture control and an ok built quality.

Check this out my friend studying cinematography shot on those lenses and a black magic cinema camera:

Digital Noise/Grain looks horrible.............

I've worked with top Cinematographers in the business, we've used Primes and Zooms neither makes you better or worst so your comment about zooms is 100% false.

The advantage of having a 24-105mm is for run and gun purposes and being one person shooting or limited crew/time. If in the middle of a shot you need something longer/wider with a prime you have to change lenses, with a zoom you snap to your focal length. I use both and recommend both, Zooms especially those of higher quality cost much more than any Prime lens and are used in Films.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Great video but someone got too excited with Film Grain slider in the NLE :rolleyes: Reduce it to 1/4 and it's a quality production for viewers.

j.f.r. who said anything about run and gun shoot?

I have worked with Angenieux Optimo zooms and with arri/fujinon alura zooms and they are absolutely fantastic. But learning narrative filmmaking and cinematography - working with primes gives a much better understanding of field of view and when to use what. Physically moving closer or away instead of racking the zoom gives so much deeper knowledge that you later can put into action when you're on zoom lenses. Composition is not about cropping - agree?

This kid is new in the game, and you're coming out as a total arrogant douche. No one cares about your experience if you're a bad artist. You come off as the kind of person you meet at a party who only says things everybody knows.

And your comment on grain... yawn man.

You never really made it, did you?