NX1 short film Yvonne

Sekhar

Samsung is apparently showcasing NX1 with four short films, starting with Yvonne. What do you guys think of this first one?

To me, it was extremely painful to watch (took me three tries to complete): way too long/labored, too frivolous/banal/trite, had no rhythm/arc whatsoever that I could discern, etc. Overall, seemed like a complete failure as an engaging short film and wasted the talent.

On the technical side, the resolution was awesome as you'd expect from NX1, as were the colors (not the grading). But the overall look was shockingly cheap and video-like, complete with blown highlights, banding, and even moire...almost like what you'd get out of a smartphone.

May be I'm being too critical and may be I'd change my opinion, but those are my immediate thoughts. Overall, I don't see this in any way selling NX1 to filmmakers. The sad part is, I believe all the issues I mentioned have little to do with NX1.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I completely agree with you, and althought the raw quality is there, it seems that Samsung is trying to market this as a "intro-level" camera, and not the actual pro-level it is. Some people think this is a fancier compact camera, They should have made some contest with the NX1 community, and then select 4 shortfilms, im sure the quality would have been much high

er and much more enjoyable.

Haven't watched it, skipped trough it, sure as hell I'm not going to watch it. Looks terrible. Sharpened plastic crap. Looks like a mediocre cheap tv show.

Still, the intention is good. The execution just sucks. Ok, I can live with a crappy story, it's marketing so I won't expect art. But then at least make something that looks attractive, or something that has that hollywood blockbuster feel to it. Let that big sensor shine. Show some depth of field. This could have been a promo for some 2/3" 4K camcorder.

got almost 15 seconds in :mellow: almost as bad as the c300mkii promotional short film. exploiting that Joseph Gordon Levitt short film shot with Nx1's, or even just a glamour shot montage music video would have been an infinitely better call

Cheap, over sharpened and the DP apparently doesn't know how to light to save his life. When the man is sitting in the living room (3:35) the children are terribly underlit and the mans crotch is overexposed! WTF?  Also good god the camera movement is atrocious!

I do think most are being over-critical of this short. 

The filming quality was pretty good (yes a bit under lit at times, not much dimension) and the story should of been 3 minutes long and a lot zippier. But, it did prove to me that the NX1 is a more than capable tool for professional video - the DP got close to achieving a cinematic look. Much better effort than those absolutely terrible Sony A7R, RX videos. 

Weird thing is, I thought the short looked best at 720p on Youtube. Sometimes 4k on a 4k monitor looks so ridiculously crisp that it's very distracting! ;) 

May be I'm being too critical and may be I'd change my opinion, but those are my immediate thoughts. Overall, I don't see this in any way selling NX1 to filmmakers.

​I'm on a selection committee for a film fest.  Honestly, we see a lot more creativity from people working with a lot less.  Point is, this film is lame.  I'll agree with ya.  

Anyway, a good aspiring film maker will recognize that it's not the camera failing here.  Of course, many aspiring film makers don't always know what the hell they're doing, so they could be swayed negatively with lousy films.

I mean, "Reverie" wasn't exactly great narrative, but at least it used light in a good interesting way.  Yvonne's cinematography is sterile and ... well, just bad.  Samsung should've pulled the plug on this film and left it alone.  --And putting it on YouTube with an open comment section?  Whooo-weee....good luck with that.

​I'm on a selection committee for a film fest.  Honestly, we see a lot more creativity from people working with a lot less.  Point is, this film is lame.  I'll agree with ya.  

Anyway, a good aspiring film maker will recognize that it's not the camera failing here.  Of course, many aspiring film makers don't always know what the hell they're doing, so they could be swayed negatively with lousy films.

I mean, "Reverie" wasn't exactly great narrative, but at least it used light in a good interesting way.  Yvonne's cinematography is sterile and ... well, just bad.  Samsung should've pulled the plug on this film and left it alone.  --And putting it on YouTube with an open comment section?  Whooo-weee....good luck with that.

Almost as bad if not worst than the GH4 released film as well, has very little to do with the camera...........

Most short films made by manufacturers to launch their new cameras are very bad. The Canon ones were terrible, the Nikon ones were lame, and the Sony demos are usually just razor-sharp pictures of leaves and temples.

I did glean from the behind-the-scenes footage that the director is some dude who works for Samsung. Possibly in a marketing capacity. I.e. not a filmmaker. No properly trained and experienced filmmaker who make a short that lame. My god, there's even a shot of the milk getting tossed into the trashcan! Ow my eyes!

I wish that manufacturers would at least be imaginative in who they choose to direct these things. Find some up-and-comer, someone who might have recently had a short in Sundance or some other major festival. Trust me, most of these people are broke as fuck. They'd totally do it. Find someone with a distinctive imagination, toss 'em a camera and some money, and release a decent short.

Just don't hire someone from the marketing department to direct your product launch video.

Just don't hire someone from the marketing department to direct your product launch video.

​Anyone in marketing that would think this is a good idea probably shouldn't be in marketing, but that's corporate culture for you.

If it were me, I'd be hiring Kendry (for the same budget they spent on this mistake) and just let him do his thing.  Whatever he came back with at the end of a month would get people excited.  Not only what he did but how he shot it.

Heck, spend a day on Vimeo and you could track down hundreds of talented filmmakers.

This particular movie strikes me as the perfect example of a talent challenged film maker* devoted to the tech and the idea of making a movie --while not having enough well rounded artistic talent.  The film is amusing to me in the sense that It does illustrate how the fundamentals of making a good film has pretty much jack-squat to do with the camera.

*full disclosure: I consider myself as such so I recognize the limitations.

You guys just don't get it... This film is a disturbing social commentary on the American family and the human condition...

The mom "entering the fridge" is really symbolic for her addiction to crystal meth (ice). Notice how the family has to function more and more without her as her addiction gets worse? I didn't watch the ending (who could make it that far), but I like to think something really shocking (like GoT shocking) happened at the end, like maybe her pimp and drug dealer ends up executing her family one by one.