Sony has gone internal-4K crazy: A7RII, RX1004, RX10II

utsira

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Seriously thinking about it too. The images seem lovely, even from the original RX10, even better aesthetically than the GH4. Sharp yet organic and the colour science look great (Even though it's a Sony!). The lens covers everything from wide to actor close ups to teles, with quite a shallow DOF. 

I can get a 39% discount on it, so it would be rude not to!​

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I think the A7s is still the best A7 video option. The pixel count is the main deal here. With the A7s you get FF 4K and much better lowlight performance, and when you don't use and external recorder, you get a perfect downscale from 4K FF internally

With the A7r you get smaller sensor size at 4K (FF vs s35) and more noise, but with internal 8bit 4:2:0 4K option and IBIS (both I believe are less useful than FF and Lowlight performance). If the A7r had the first reported " almost Global shutter 4K at s35" that would have been a huge feature, but it looks like it's a7s level if not worse. 

It will still be interesting to see the 4K internal/external of the A7r vs the 4K external of the A7s. 

I recently picked up the A7II to see if I wanted to move to the new camera with IBIS, and to see what a difference it can make over the NX1 with OIS. So far I'm really impressed -- 5-axis eliminates the handheld jitters and significantly reduces the number of rolling shutter occurrences when doing something like a walk-and-talk. For my work I no longer need a glidecam and I'm not looking at a gimbal anymore either. The A7RII will make an amazing camera for travel or run-and-gun documentaries because you can get high IQ from stills and video, carry a few small lenses and no need for rigging, a stabilizer, a slider and so on. YMMV.

I think this is going to be a much better option than the A7s. If you want 4k, its a much better value with the new sensor, vastly superior AF, 5-axis IBIS, lower base ISO in Slog, better EVF and so on. The extra $1000+ you have to spend for a recorder/SSD/batteries in order to get 4k from the A7s compared to the A7RII can be spent elsewhere.

Stills at 42mp will absolutely blow the A7s out of the water too, crop mode has 50% more MP than the A7s in FF. If you are heavily into stills and video - the A7RII can replace the A7s + Shogun and the D810 in one tiny body.

Handling is so much better with the revised body, its put together much better, it offers more customization, better button placement, the front and rear dials feel like a DSLR - not that weird knurled metal, the revised grip makes it a really comfortable camera to use. I hated shooting with the A7s because the ergonomics were so poor, the new cameras a completely different and much better.

And it has pretty competent AF with Canon glass. AF with e-mount lenses looks to top every other mirrorless offering as well. The eye tracking AF shown on Dpreview is better than what my D750 could do. I sold my D750 and NX1 for the A7RII, and everything I've seen so far has left me with no doubt it was a good decision. Between the APS-c and FF lenses, all my needs are covered as I'm a 35/85 prime shooter, there's a class leading UWA zoom, a number of other high IQ primes, and even the original 18-200 looked good on the 16mp Nex5n - so it'll be fine as a crop 4k video lens and they're dirt cheap.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

34ms. OUCH.

Actually worse than the D90? That camera was in the unusable territory, you can't  take anything but locked off tripod shots WITHOUT moving subjects. 

That's why I wanted to declare, specifications don't mean anything! 

• Super Members

Rolling shutter sure is a b....

Both the rx10ii and rx100iv are in stock just a couple of blocks away. Since I've had and enjoyed both the rx100 mk1 and mk2 I was a little tempted. Specially after grading the file Philip Bloom posted. Until I hit play that is. That train scared me straight. 

Still a lovely camera and I still might get it. But I rather wait 6 months and buy it used at 50%.

34ms. OUCH.

Actually worse than the D90? That camera was in the unusable territory, you can't  take anything but locked off tripod shots WITHOUT moving subjects. 

​Isn't 34ms RS a spec? Maybe we just need more specs!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

​Maybe we just need more specs!

Yes that's the point. It's a spec not written anywhere. 

If a company wanted to give us a complete spec list with every little detail about the camera's performance using hard industry-standard measurements they would be able to, and we wouldn't need reviews. Sadly they don't wanna. 

34ms. OUCH.

​It is too much indeed. But in that test, we can see someone walking from one side to another, so there's a moving subject ! : )

Good for hard arthouse! LOL

I am eager for more testing, though...

:-(