Sony has gone internal-4K crazy: A7RII, RX1004, RX10II

utsira

​This is kind of idiotic statement as digital sensors don't have colors. Look it up. The color comes after processing data from bayer filter, which isn't a sensor but thin glass on top of sensor), color is mostly interpretation. by software. 

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-sensors.htm

Digital Sensors don't have colors. It's not a film

​A million heart felt apologies.

I can see how my misuse of a word, in a quickly written reply to someone else, would bring you to such levels of anger. I know put "sensor" instead of "sensor/colour science/camera", it was a massive error and will never be repeated..... I'm sure people were completely baffled by the sentence I wrote, such was the stupidity I showed. I hope you one day forgive me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​The film industry is moving to larger sensors #Fact

Also outside of S35 crop format the Samsung lacks, dynamic range and color to even be anywhere close to considered a film camera. 

​You really like to use opinion as fact, don't you.... #Fact

99% of the top end film industry still uses s35. Perhaps more. A few people like Nolan experiment here and there, but that hardly shows a seismic shift towards large sensor.

• Administrators

Sensors do have a colour signature actually, it's not all just down to interpretation of the bayer data in software. The hardware makes a difference. CCD sensors vs CMOS for instance...

The quality of micro lens, signal to noise ratio and the analogue to digital conversion onboard the sensor all impact colour.

People have some funny views.... No one professional can use a Samsung?

I make money from my NX1, so i think that makes it professional?

Many are dismissing Samsung as irrelevant. This is a mistake, Samsung appears serious about the camera market. Their smartphones have the best cameras in the industry. This is proven true in numerous test. Their screens are also rated the best, and with the new color profiles are now also considered the most accurate. They create top hardware cpus etc... All of these technologies are readily applicable to high-end cameras. And they have financial muscle. At $200 billion they dwarf Sony $34 billion, Canon $49 billion and Nikon $4.7 billion. Samsung is the biggest player in the camera industry. The NX1 is not their end game... it's just the beginning.

If Samsung wants this market they certainly have the means to own it. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

​I was just about to blast you, but then I noticed you were from Egypt, so I think there is a subtle language barrier at play here.  Just so that you are aware for future reference, terms like "I hope it's clear" may come across as condescending to a native english speaker.

​Smart observation Sir. And it's true, these are the little bits of information non-native speaker never know. I never meant to be condescending and I never knew it meant that. But now when I think about it, I get how it can. 

I wonder how will the quality of the 4K on the A7rII compare to the nx1.

Both are 3840x2160, 8bit, 4:2:0, same frame rates, both come from APS-C S35 6K back-illuminated sensors,

Different codecs (H.264 VS H.265 - theoritically 5 is higher bit rate & newer technology)
Different colours and gammas (S-log2 on A7rII)

I have a feeling it will be an nx1 image with a bit higher DR and less pleasing colour & harder to grade otherwise identical. 

​The film industry is moving to larger sensors #Fact

Also outside of S35 crop format the Samsung lacks, dynamic range and color to even be anywhere close to considered a film camera. 

​Color? Your saying that NX1 has poor color? Something most say the camera gets right compared to Sony, in which color is universally brought up as something it lacks?

Also, full frame is not even close to becoming a standard film shooting format. Some big budget productions are headed that way, but as an industry it is still a pain to shoot on in terms of DOF and supported cinema glass is still not up to par for the format.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The film industry is not moving to larger sensors, #fact.

ALL 2015 cinema cameras are s35. Alexa, Red epic/weapon, Varicam 35, All digital Panavision cameras (genesis), Sony FS100, FS700, FS7, F5, F55, F35, F65, Kinifinity, Blackmagic cinema cameras, Production, URSA, URSA mini, Aja Cion, Arri Amira, Alexa Mini, all cinema cameras, Phantom cameras,

The only experiments in larger sensors are the alexa 65 (which still isn't out or shot anything) and the consumer 5D, A7 series. That's it.

There are only 4 must haves for me in a camera body:

1. Internal 4k

2. APS-C size sensor or equlivant with a speed booster.

3. Log recording

4. Affordable price

The A7RII get's 3 out of 4 right.  I am hoping Samsung adds Log.  Same with Panasonic.  I am also hoping that the Sony A6100/7000 will complete the list for under $1000.

The flood gates are open and by the end of the year there will be a lot happy aspiring film makers with hybrid internal-4k-log film making monsters under the tree.

Damn, most of the haters here are more talking about branding than about real facts.

It is embarrassing, but funny at the same time, like speaking about matching a teddy bear to a real one for a national geographic documentary...

​You really like to use opinion as fact, don't you.... #Fact

99% of the top end film industry still uses s35. Perhaps more. A few people like Nolan experiment here and there, but that hardly shows a seismic shift towards large sensor.

​The film industry is moving towards larger sensor #Fact

Inform yourself , Arri just released their Large Sensor camera which they are shooting Star Wars: Rogue One, Red with their "Weapon" Camera have also gone large format. 65-70mm film has always existed, but you can assure in the future we will continue to see this format much more even though many films which have been in production for years were shot on S35 sensor cameras.

IMAX with Interstellar showed the world how amazing an image can be. Red Weapon will carry that torch ad Arri with their Large Format is going to revolutionize the industry. Quote this...........

Inform yourself , Arri just released their Large Sensor camera which they are shooting Star Wars: Rogue One, Red with their "Weapon" Camera have also gone large format. 65-70mm film has always existed, but you can assure in the future we will continue to see this format much more even though many films which have been in production for years were shot on S35 sensor cameras.

IMAX with Interstellar showed the world how amazing an image can be. Red Weapon will carry that torch ad Arri with their Large Format is going to revolutionize the industry. Quote this...........

As I said before (you really do have a problem with reading people's posts) I have already mentioned there are exceptions to the rule... But they are EXCEPTIONS... 99% of hollywood films to be released in 2015 will be S35... The % won't change hugely anytime soon.

As you have already mentioned, 65mm has been around for decades and has been proven to make beautiful images... Why weren't Spielberg and Co throwing the s35mm cams in the bin during the 80s era of great films?... Budget certainly wasn't the issue.

Film 65mm was a pain in the ass and very expensive, most cinemas were 35mm and there was no point spending 5x or more on film and processing just to project some used cheap copies of it.

Filming with an alexa65 is basically the same as filming with a regular one, quality of course will be better (you dont think Arri would make a bigger camera if there wasnt a difference, well maybe some will as has been proven in many topics).

​What do you think the A7000 specs will be?

​Considering Sony just launched 3 cameras capable of 4k and compared to the older A5100/A6000, I think the following are safe bets:

- XAVC-S

- 4k (24p, 25p, 30p)

- 1080p (24p, 25p, 30p, 50p, 60p)

- Since it will be placed above A6000, it will have EVF (which A5100 lacks)

Further possibilities:

- The earlier alpha series (and nex series) didn't have any modes with higher frame than 60p. Maybe they will add it now, since the other consumer cameras got higher frame rates.

- Nex-7 had 24 Mpixel sensor, A6000 has 24 Mpixel sensor. Guess it could be expected to be in that range for A7000 too.

Details have been scarce at sonyalpharumors.com. Latest rumors were that the camera is delayed due to issues with overheating, but that it will likely be announced during summer.

​Why didn't Sony use this sensor in the FS7? Surely heat would not be a problem? They could have easily gotten 60fsp or maybe 120fps at 4k. Apparently, the only one moving to FF is you my friend. Not to say the new A7 series doesn't look promising... Just keeping it real.

Not sure why I am replying to someone who thinks you can easily match GoPro to Alexa colour anyway :lol:

We matched C300/C500 to Alexa footage, also you're digging way too deep into this. Sure there is a difference, my man point being though you can match colors and get very close and most importantly most audiences will not notice.

GoPro 4 recoding in 4k to a ProRes recorder can give you really good results. No need to argue this has been done

peace

​Why didn't Sony use this sensor in the FS7? Surely heat would not be a problem? They could have easily gotten 60fsp or maybe 120fps at 4k. Apparently, the only one moving to FF is you my friend. Not to say the new A7 series doesn't look promising... Just keeping it real.

Video production world and Film is very different, for Films large format will be the standard (Big Budget). The New Mission Impossible movie is being filmed in 65mm and so is Star Wars Rogue as stated. Yes it cost a lot of money, but the films that can afford it will shoot in that format as it comes with many benefits. I suggest any and everyone to read on why RED went large Format as well as Arri + the benefits of using this

Peace