Sony has gone internal-4K crazy: A7RII, RX1004, RX10II

utsira

So one canon executive needs to be rushed to the hospital because he woke up and realized that we the consumer want 4K.  He was not upset of the competitions progress he was just mad we thought of it before he did.  The other Canon Executive says its ok we have the c300 mark II then shits his pants and realizes that we don't want to pay over 10k for 4K.  The other Canon executive didn't even wake up because he does not keep up with the market news at all nor competition the and believes that 1080p will carry Canon into 2015 and consumers are dumb and don't know what they want but should be told what they need to be shooting with.

Ok thats just the way I see Canon reacting to this news....lol     

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I know people like to poke fun at Canon due to their seemingly underwhelming specs (myself included at times!) but for what its worth, during my 3 months or so with an A7s I found it slow, clunky, unreliable (crashed occasionally) and the battery life was of course terrible. I was always thinking about the camera. During my 6 months or so with a c100, the opposite was definitely true. Theres something to be said for cameras that "just work" and Canon definitely has that figured out.  

Hoping the a7rII brings an improvement in this area as it looks like a slick camera! 

I think that nx1 has a lot of inexpressed potential that could be unleashed via fw update. Perhaps the rumored 6k video (for limited time), or a real s-log profile. I hope samsung starts running even faster now that sony released this monster.

One thing is getting clear, samsung does not want to compete with ff. It wants to be king of apsc.

My main concern is colour... I don't care what you say about s-log, luts etc... The colour on the a7s just isn't great. For cool colours, it is nice... For natural or warm colours it is a pain

100% False , do a search on some images I've posted. If you understand how to color correct / grade you can push the S-LOG image anywhere you want. Learn the tools before posting false information. Canon DSLR have their color profiles baked in, you can achieve the same exact look with the A7s if you learn to read scopes......

OK, I don't quite get the excitement here and on other forums. Isn't NX1 at $1,500 already doing much of what a7RII is doing at $3,200? Yes, a7RII has stuff like log and higher MP stills, but then only NX1 has 120fps 1080p. I take it the jubilation is over FF vs Super 35? Doesn't quite seem worth the over 2x price difference, especially for video. I'm sure there's more, can't wait to see hands-on reviews.

​Does the NX1 offer in camera stabilization , high iso performance and an S-Log image with good Dynamic Range, that seems like more than enough reason for price and lets not talk about the befits in the "photography" department...........

I think that nx1 has a lot of inexpressed potential that could be unleashed via fw update. Perhaps the rumored 6k video (for limited time), or a real s-log profile. I hope samsung starts running even faster now that sony released this monster.

One thing is getting clear, samsung does not want to compete with ff. It wants to be king of apsc.

​Im thinking after this announcement, they will probably release a fw update with an "extreme" feature update. I also believe they dont need to go FF, but having an adapter (metabones or such) would be totally killer for the NX1.

I still dont get why this camera isnt being sold like hot buns, not many people know of it, and a lot of people who have it, seem to be using it as a "point&shoot" with the kit lens, im not sure if the camera was properly marketed or not, but it should be marketed as what it is, a pro-level camera.

I was thinking though, does anyone remember the 5Ds and 5Dr ?! Yeah, pretty much dead on arrival...

100% False , do a search on some images I've posted. If you understand how to color correct / grade you can push the S-LOG image anywhere you want. Learn the tools before posting false information. Canon DSLR have their color profiles baked in, you can achieve the same exact look with the A7s if you learn to read scopes......

​I was a colourist for 4 years. If you think the Sony colour is as good as any other camera, great... But it is your opinion, not a fact. I know some of the best colourists in London and they all generally dislike Sony... Yes, you might be able to match, more or less, footage from an F55 with an Alexa... But you will spend more time doing it. Their colour science is not their strong point.

I am giving information, from Sony. Just tying to correct your notion that the FF 4K mode is a Full-sensor readout. It's a pixel-binned downscale that results in some aliasing and moire, to what extent is not yet known until tests are out there. The s35 mode is read out of a near 6K area and scaled down to 4K natively, with no aliasing/moire or any pixel-binning/line-skipping artefacts. They could not have gone with a 1:1 4K readout as the crop factor would be huge, so the largest window that could give a clean down sample to a non-aliased image was chosen. In short, FF 4K will have some aliasing/moire issues and s35 will be clean. I hope it's clear. 

​I was just about to blast you, but then I noticed you were from Egypt, so I think there is a subtle language barrier at play here.  Just so that you are aware for future reference, terms like "I hope it's clear" may come across as condescending to a native english speaker.

"[trolling] yes, I wish Sony would drop all this full-frame nonsense and give us the killer APSC cam we know they're sitting on [\trolling]"

​The A7R II price is way out of league for most of people, the 4K APS-C will be priced more reasonable at least that most of us can actually afford it.

​I agree, I was just expressing the point in the most extreme way possible for, um, comedy effect. I think they could do a killer 4k APSC cam tomorrow, but they'll sit on it for a few months so that they don't cannibalize A7RII sales. I think we'll see the A7SII before we get the 4K APSC cam. 

The RX10 II it´s the definitive brigde camera for me, 4K, Built in ND, nice codec, nice Slowmo and now SLOG.

I want to see more examples and final price in Spain.

​Is the ND an actual filter, or some kind of low ISO mode?

The RX10 II sounds like a great little camera.

​1000fps at 1136 x 384 is unheard of for a consumer camera, breaks new ground,

250fps at 1080p is genuinely groundbreaking as well for £1k.

That is going to look brilliant.

​I agree, it is quite amazing for this price point! But can't help wishing it is FHD or at least HD. Still, well used SD quality still can have its place. 

And it is a huge leap forward from what we used to have at the ultra low budget end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mISQEgxpPqw

​I agree, I was just expressing the point in the most extreme way possible for, um, comedy effect. I think they could do a killer 4k APSC cam tomorrow, but they'll sit on it for a few months so that they don't cannibalize A7RII sales. I think we'll see the A7SII before we get the 4K APSC cam. 

I believe they were having some heat trouble with the a7000.

Hmmm...the RX10 IV can't be good news for fps1000 (kickstarter) which still hasn't shipped yet.

​Indeed, quite glad I didn't jump on that Kickstarter!

Out of the 3 announced today, the RX10 mk2 is the most tempting for me for sure. I just need to rationalise its purchase as having a good ROI for me....   (but it probably doesn't! Bit to niche use a high speed camera)

​The A7000/A6100 is meant to have been coming out for a while now, but nothing. It is rumoured the delay is due to trying to resolve heating issues from internal 4K in that smaller body.