Sony has gone internal-4K crazy: A7RII, RX1004, RX10II

utsira

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Everyone says this, but I'm not sure why it couldn't be.  Tony Northrup suggest that less pixels aren't the real reason why the A7s is so good in low light, but because the camera can move data faster from the sensor (there are less pixels).   Also since data can be moved faster, the A7S is able to use a better algorithm to create better low light video.  I'm not saying having "big" pixels doesn't help in low light situation, I'm saying the data transfer and the better algorithm is where most of the low light magic happens.  In any case, I could totally be wrong but if still images from the A7R which has a lot more pixels than the A7S; if the A7R and the A7S basically have the same quality image file with the same shutter speed in low light situation, I think the "low light magic" is NOT due to the lower number of pixels or because the A7S has "bigger" pixels.  Just a thought.  Remember video is just the combination of multiple still images.

​The tests Tony did were shot with well-lit subjects and most examples people showcase also feature lit or moderately lit scenes. I think where the large photosites really come into play is when you have very very very low light such as a crowd at a concert at nighttime, some wedding venues, documentary shooting at night, etc. Having used the A7s, I have yet to see anything that shoots that clean with that little amount of light. 

When scaled down , high-megapixel cameras can "combine" pixels which helps to reduce the appearance of noise but if those pixels are really noisy to begin with, they aren't going to combine into something clean.

I could be wrong since I don't have the cameras but I'd imagine the next version of the A7s will do better in true low-light compared to the higher resolution A7rII

This made me rethink if I should get the NX1 or not, but the price is out of my range, I could get it for 2k, but 3,2k is way too steep, so for now and the next few years, im sticking with the NX1 which is still one of the best choices for video for the price. I just would have loved the FF for stills.

​Using a BMPCC and GH3, I consider Super 35mm a luxury right now if that makes you feel better.

THIS IS INSANITY THIS IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE 
I CANT FUCKING BELIEVE IT !!!!! 

THIS IS INCREDIBLE. I kill myself guys !!!!! I FUCKING KILL MYSELF absolutely INSANE 
SONY DID IT. POOR ALL THE whole photo market. SONY WINS !!!! THEY FUCKING WIN. I SELL ALL MY GEAR NOW and buy this fucking A7RII. 

5 YEARS THAT I WAIT FOR THIS

Incredible. Pardon my joy. 

OK, I don't quite get the excitement here and on other forums. Isn't NX1 at $1,500 already doing much of what a7RII is doing at $3,200? Yes, a7RII has stuff like log and higher MP stills, but then only NX1 has 120fps 1080p. I take it the jubilation is over FF vs Super 35? Doesn't quite seem worth the over 2x price difference, especially for video. I'm sure there's more, can't wait to see hands-on reviews.

THIS IS INSANITY THIS IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE 
I CANT FUCKING BELIEVE IT !!!!! 

THIS IS INCREDIBLE. I kill myself guys !!!!! I FUCKING KILL MYSELF absolutely INSANE 
SONY DID IT. POOR ALL THE whole photo market. SONY WINS !!!! THEY FUCKING WIN. I SELL ALL MY GEAR NOW and buy this fucking A7RII. 

5 YEARS THAT I WAIT FOR THIS

Incredible. Pardon my joy. 

​lol :)

LMAO. 

From Dpreview : "PDAF will work even with third-party lenses via existing adapters, including in continuous AF tracking mode.
This is potentially a huge deal - especially for Canon users. We've used an a7R II with a Canon 24-70mm lens and a Metabones adapter, and focus is indeed very fast indeed. We'll be looking at this in more depth as soon as we have a production sample camera, but for now, we're highly impressed. Canon should expect some cancelled EOS 5DS orders..."

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

​You aren't listening. The press release implies that is the case, but does not confirm it. That is the point I'm making.  It only says the full frame mode uses the entire width of the sensor. It doesn't say what it does or doesn't do beyond that.

If I say "there are 2 cars on the race track, the BMW uses its 4 wheels to grip to the road as it speeds round the corner, the Mercedes uses it's V8 engine to deliver explosive power".  That doesn't mean that the Mercedes doesn't have 4 wheels does it? Although it does imply it.  As it happens I do think you're right. Its just a point of logical exactitude that I'm making.

I am giving information, from Sony. Just tying to correct your notion that the FF 4K mode is a Full-sensor readout. It's a pixel-binned downscale that results in some aliasing and moire, to what extent is not yet known until tests are out there. The s35 mode is read out of a near 6K area and scaled down to 4K natively, with no aliasing/moire or any pixel-binning/line-skipping artefacts. They could not have gone with a 1:1 4K readout as the crop factor would be huge, so the largest window that could give a clean down sample to a non-aliased image was chosen. In short, FF 4K will have some aliasing/moire issues and s35 will be clean. I hope it's clear. 

Ebrahim is right. 
But well, who would be unhappy with 43mp, FF, 399AF points, nice small body, internal 4K clean in S35, ... 

It's a hell of a camera for people who need one camera to do it all. 

And what did canon ? releasing a 5DS with 5DIII body and 5 years old tech ? seriously ? I mean do you guys realize this ? If someone gets a 5DS now I dont understand. 

The new Sony offerings sound great. But I have to admit, I'm a little more excited to see what the new NX1 and A7sii will offer. On the other hand, it's possible that this new a7rii will have all the low light performance that is needed in practical filming. Between Sony and Samsung the old guard's days are numbered.

And hats off to Sony for getting the memo... if my smartphone can do internal 4k, my camera should also. Indeed, no camera sold today should be absent this essential feature. 

Soon I will be in the market for new gear, looks like I'll have a lot to choose from. 

And now tell me again 5D4 (or 5DC if they release 2 bodies) won't have 4K as I suggested 5 times on the forum and everyone laughed. 
If they don't do it, well it is the final end of Canon FF for at least video user, and appart from Pro photographers, I don't know what else prosumers need than this beast?

The new Sony offerings sound great. But I have to admit, I'm a little more excited to see what the new NX1 and A7sii will offer. On the other hand, it's possible that this new a7rii will have all the low light performance that is needed in practical filming. Between Sony and Samsung the old guard's days are numbered.

And hats off to Sony for getting the memo... if my smartphone can do internal 4k, my camera should also. Indeed, no camera sold today should be absent this essential feature. 

Soon I will be in the market for new gear, looks like I'll have a lot to choose from. 

​That's my feeling as well. I'm really anxious to upgrade. I want to invest in a nice camera that handles 4k properly. I felt like this first generation of the 4k wave -- NX1, GH4, A7s -- was like every new techology, where the first generation is just trial balloons for the real upgrade in Round 2.

As tempting as it is to think that the A7Rii is finally what we've all been waiting for, I'm a bit suspicious of the specs. I'm blown away, but I have a nagging sense that this is just the pre-game for me being totally blown away by some announcement just around the corner by a film-oriented camera. But I'm pretty anxious to find out when that's going to be. Sony will probably hold out on announcements in order to try and not cannibalize their products more than they already are (that is, already a lot).

But god -- I just want this 4k revolution to hurry up so I can put my time and effort into mastering a camera and working on creative elements -- not worrying about the new industry/consumer camera standards that will destroy all the value of a significant camera investment. $3.2k is a reasonable price for a camera that will remain high-end for several years. It's an unfathomable waste when a better camera will be released six months later....

OK, I don't quite get the excitement here and on other forums. Isn't NX1 at $1,500 already doing much of what a7RII is doing at $3,200? Yes, a7RII has stuff like log and higher MP stills, but then only NX1 has 120fps 1080p. I take it the jubilation is over FF vs Super 35? Doesn't quite seem worth the over 2x price difference, especially for video. I'm sure there's more, can't wait to see hands-on reviews.

specs-wise: ​likely better low light, dynamic range, rolling shutter (?), lens adaptability, codec, than the nx1. first time ever having internal 4k full frame (under a million dollars). option of speedboosting the better 4k option. could be a better 4k camera than the a7sii since there will be limited megapixels for the crop modes, and probably much better video compared to the a7r. it's going to be a great stills camera (I wouldn't want a canon for this price now), pretty astounding how great it could be for video as well, since it seemed the a7s was going to get the most attention for video. potential with the 5-axis ibis. nx1 should still hold up, which is impressive, but this looks pretty killer. and at the very least, just happy to see the direction Sony is going in