Sony has gone internal-4K crazy: A7RII, RX1004, RX10II

utsira

The RXs have 960fps at 1080p!

Will be interesting to see how sharp that is

A lot of sample video's here: ​https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL06nPE7_lzMwCmNsXjTJ3T6y8Vh-AmNC

It definitely is not 1080p at those speeds. Maybe it's saved as 1080p but looks upscaled. Still, looks better than Nikon 1 at those crazy speeds.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

A7r mk II 4K in FF will probably have lots of moire issues (as per the press release), so they went in a customer-listening way and included a s35 mode, they searched for the lowest amount of pixels that can be mathematically ideal to be scaled down to 3840x2160, and that was a window of around 6K giving an approx 1.6x crop, close enough to s35 cinema standard. 

Pretty smart and customer-friendly decision, Canon and Nikon are really taking a harmful press hit tonight, really, really harmful.  

I mean this is an appeal for both hardcore photographers and hardcore videographers, it lacks nothing at least on paper.

I am curious. What features do people want on the GH5? Higher res? More Log options? Does anyone want more megapixels on Micro 4/3rds?

​Better low-light, high frame rates in 4k, ANY log options.

Looks like the A7Rii still has that awful record button placement. Still, can't wait to see more images from it.

A7r mk II 4K in FF will probably have lots of moire issues (as per the press release), so they went in a customer-listening way and included a s35 mode, they searched for the lowest amount of pixels that can be mathematically ideal to be scaled down to 3840x2160, and that was a window of around 6K giving an approx 1.6x crop, close enough to s35 cinema standard. 

Pretty smart and customer-friendly decision, Canon and Nikon are really taking a harmful press hit tonight, really, really harmful.  

I mean this is an appeal for both hardcore photographers and hardcore videographers, it lacks nothing at least on paper.

​The press release does certainly imply that full frame isn't full readout:

"In Super 35mm mode, the camera collects a wealth of information from approximately 1.8x as many pixels as 4K by using full pixel readout without pixel binning and oversamples the information to produce 4K movies with minimal moire and ‘jaggies’.

In full-frame mode, the α7RII utilizes the full width of the 35mm sensor for 4K recording, allowing users to utilize the expanded expressive power of the sensor.  It is the world’s first digital camera to offer this in-camera full-frame format 4K recording capacity1."

however it doesn't state it specifically.  It could be just the wording of the person who wrote the press release, however due to the vast amount of pixels to read out and the rolling shutter It could well be the case.  

If it is the case, It would feel weird to me buying a full frame camera to shoot apsc.  Surely an A7s 2 is on the horizon.

Having fullframe 4K with moire + pixel perfect S35 4K is nice imo. Use full sensor 4K for shallow DOF shots, moire isn't an issue anyway. S35 for detail/landscape shots.

Even in S35 mode you could put a speed booster on it and have pixel binned fullframe 4K...

​You mean pixel perfect I think.  Although I would call it rull readout oversampled.  Pixel perfect implies it is native resolution to me.  But sure, a speed booster could be used.

Specs sound near perfect on the A7rII but I really wish sony would redesign the form factor. I really dislike the handling of the A7s and find it's short battery life and awkward ergonomics beyond frustrating. The form factor of the GH4 is much more to my liking but Panasonic needs to make a mirrorless camera with a larger sensor.

Sony fix the form factor or Panasonic offer something larger than MFT, whoever moves first gets my money. Canon and Nikon can keep living in the past.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

If it is the case, It would feel weird to me buying a full frame camera to shoot apsc.  Surely an A7s 2 is on the horizon.

​The case is: it does FF 4k with aliasing/moire high rolling shutte, and s35 4K without them. S35 is the standard cinema format, but you also have 4K at FF if you need that. Best decision made on this camera as it would have been dull in press if it only had either of them. (aliased 4K or clean s35 crop).

I am curious. What features do people want on the GH5? Higher res? More Log options? Does anyone want more megapixels on Micro 4/3rds?

​No. Less megapixels.  A multi aspect sensor like the gh2 with DCI 4k native at the widest setting.   Global shutter, better dynamic range. 10 bit internal.  There's pleanty of room for improvement.

I love my Panasonic GH4, but I could see an a7Sii + a7Rii in my future without my GH4. Sony is killing it right now.

​Is that you Dave Dugdale? If yes, then could you please review the Shure LensHopper VP83F, instead of the VP83, again, after following the instructions. I felt your review did not justify the product. IMHO. And, since your reviews are usually so thorough, this one didn't seem right.

Thanks in advance