On Being A Filmmaker

fuzzynormal

It would be so much easier to be a painter or a writer. You don't have to have equipment. You don't have to do all the things. You're not at the mercy of gear. You're not here and you're not there. It's a terrible pain to be a filmmaker, because you not only have the creative problems, but you have financial problems that they don't have. You have technical problems that they don't have. You have machines that are breaking down in a way that paintbrushes don't break down. It's just a terrible thing to be a filmmaker. And if you are a filmmaker, it's because there is something in the sheer medium that seems to be able to make some sort of statement that you particularly want to make, and which no other medium to you seems capable of making in the same way.

Not my words, but I do like them.  As much as I go on about it's only about what you do with the equipment, not what equipment you have, filmmakers are tethered to the technology.  It's the blessing/curse.

If you're curious about from where and whom the above sentiment comes from:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH8FvTjESvU 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I love the art, the practise, I love the gear and have a collectors' fascination to it. I love every single bit of it, both the art and nerdiness!

Someone crashed the DJI Inspire 1 on yesterdays shoot. My response wasn't "Is it broken?", it was "Did you get the shot?" 

Honestly, my gear gets bashed to bits, literally. My gear is secondary to my vision, and I'll brutalise the gear to accomplish the best vision possible. 

It would be so much easier to be a painter or a writer. You don't have to have equipment. You don't have to do all the things. You're not at the mercy of gear. You're not here and you're not there. It's a terrible pain to be a filmmaker, because you not only have the creative problems, but you have financial problems that they don't have. You have technical problems that they don't have. You have machines that are breaking down in a way that paintbrushes don't break down. It's just a terrible thing to be a filmmaker. And if you are a filmmaker, it's because there is something in the sheer medium that seems to be able to make some sort of statement that you particularly want to make, and which no other medium to you seems capable of making in the same way.

Not my words, but I do like them.  As much as I go on about it's only about what you do with the equipment, not what equipment you have, filmmakers are tethered to the technology.  It's the blessing/curse.

If you're curious about from where and whom the above sentiment comes from:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH8FvTjESvU 

I am not sure I completely agree. I have tried my hand at many arts (painting, sculpturing, technical drawing etc etc), and while they aren't as expensive as filmmaking, they aren't exactly cheap either. Also, they are nowhere as exciting and facinating as filmmaking. Especially guerilla filmmaking and zero budget filmmaking.

My two cents. 

Hm, - I don't think there is much difference between being a filmmaker, a painter, a write, a musician or whatever the art form you are dealing with. They all have some kind of technical problems - agreed filmmaking is more financial demanding on gear than most writing, but being a musician, painter or sculptor can be quite financial demanding too. At the end of the day most art forms  have financial issues to deal with, - especially if you try to make a living form these things.

Another very interesting  question might be: What defines an artist? The word seems to me to be quite diluted (is this the right word? - english is not my native language) as more and more people call themselves artists. 

they are nowhere as exciting and fascinating as filmmaking.

​Yeah, that's pretty much what she had to say about it.  

And I also find it fascinating that even as the ability to afford one's "brush" gets cheaper and cheaper, it's always going to be a relevant part of the process.  It's an art form that's more demanding of the craftwork than other mediums, I think.  The simple nature of it being (mostly) collaborative produces an energy and momentum not seen in many other types of solitary art.

--One of the reasons I find the collaborative are of dance and live music so captivating as well.

I am not sure I completely agree. I have tried my hand at many arts (painting, sculpturing, technical drawing etc etc), and while they aren't as expensive as filmmaking, they aren't exactly cheap either. Also, they are nowhere as exciting and facinating as filmmaking. Especially guerilla filmmaking and zero budget filmmaking.

Well, here's her sentiment directly for reference: