Panasonic GH2 V Canon 5DMKii / 55OD which is best ...rolling shutter issues

andy lee

Hi All,

After 2 years working with 5Dmk11 and 550D on a daily basis , I've taken the plunge and bought GH2's for work hoping to entirely switch over the the GH2's as my main work Cameras for shooting pop videos.

But I've spent all week testing Canon V Panasonic and the GH2 is lots worse than the Canon for rolling shutter
it's almost not usable for the line of work I do.... I keep the camera moving alot , dolly tracks , cranes and fig rigs, hand held on a rig ....etc etc

I've just put Andrews Unified 88mbit rate hack onto one of the cameras and it still doesn't look as good as the Canon for camera in motion tests on pan tilt heads or dolly tracks etc.

Has anyone else noticed this big issue and had problems with it?

Is there any way round this??
Is there a hack anyone would recomend that is better for motion and produces smoother results?

(I'm in Cinema 24p mode 1/50 sec shutter,
low isos etc etc the camera is set no different to the Canon )

thanks
Andy Lee

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just like with your other post about your issues with motion jitter/judder, why not upload video examples of the problems?? Would make judging/evaluating/solving the problems so much easier  :)

Also perhaps have a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqYRmQ7v5TM

If you have something like an 85mm on the front, you have to pan VERY slowly to avoid it.  Any long length for that matter...  It's just one of its issues.  I don't have it so bad with my Nikon 24mm.  The best i've been able to do on it, is a wide lens with the Flow Motion patch... Which was just recently as a matter of fact.  Look for LPowell's Flowmotion 2.0 patch.  It looks amazing and renders motion a little better than those super high bitrate patches... It retains awesome detail, but doesn't load your card in 45 minutes.  (sandisk extreme pro 64gb). 

Probably won't fix your problem, but it might help a little.  Dslr's are great, but they have a lot of workarounds. 

I am too lazy to google for it, but there had been a sophisticated comparison of the RS-characteristics of the GH2 with some EOS asf. - with the result, that none stepped out of line. andy lee seems to be a GH2 hater, a rare but highly visible species. I predict the next issues he will find to be a green cast of the skin tones, intolerable highlight clipping and an overall unreliability of the countless hacks, generalized as if there never had been hacks that won competitions.

Hi Axel

No Im not a GH2 hater at all , I really like the camera its got alot of things I  like and some things are better than Canon.
It does seem to be worse with rolling shutter.... for the work I do , and I'm keen to find a way to make it work for me having now invested in GH2 as a work camera.
I've only had the camera a week so I want to know what I'm doing wrong with it and you all have alot more GH2 experience then me so Im on fast learning curve......any advise is welcome

thanks
Andy

[quote author=kirk link=topic=947.msg6861#msg6861 date=1341589956]
Just like with your other post about your issues with motion jitter/judder, why not upload video examples of the problems?? Would make judging/evaluating/solving the problems so much easier  :)

Also perhaps have a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqYRmQ7v5TM
[/quote]

Thanks for that I watch it the other day on youtube when I first noticed these rolling shutter issues,
This shows slow pans on a tripod  - I am moving the camera alot more than this for pop videos and thats when Im having problems with rolling shutter.
Thanks
Andy

What lenses are you using? 50mm is the most I have used handheld (on a simple rig) with acceptable issues.
There are some divergencies in-between different lenses as well, but the bottom line is that you need to get rid of vibration whenever you use a slider / tracks and get a hang of HOW to move the camera with different focal lengths. You can be pretty choppy with a wide angle lens in certain conditions.

In my opinion rolling shutter as demonstrated in tests is a smaller problem than the jello effect it causes.

Perhaps if you demonstrated what you are after; it would be easy to say if you are on the right track or not.

[quote author=andy lee link=topic=947.msg6871#msg6871 date=1341610079]
Thanks for that I watch it the other day on youtube when I first noticed these rolling shutter issues,
This shows slow pans on a tripod  - I am moving the camera alot more than this for pop videos and thats when Im having problems with rolling shutter.[/quote]

Shane Hurlbut says in his lectures on how to use DSLRs (he means the 5D M II of course) that if you use the camera in the same way a 35 mm cameraman uses his, rolling shutter is no issue. You stabilize, you pan in the right speeds.

You can't work around rolling shutter. So if your movements are too fast for the GH2, stabilized with your rigs or not, you have to use another camera. End of story.

The pans at the end of the comparison are not slow pans IMHO. Obviously dslr CMOS chips aren't the best suited for your filming... All equipment will have limitations... you'd probably be better off with a good, smaller chip videocamera, but will probably pay a higher price and loose the benefit of the optional shortest depth of  field. But then again if you see what some skateboarders have acheived with superfast camera movements and ultrawide lenses on their GH2s there are ways of working around the problem...