Quick but Long Samsung NX1 Review

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

Didn't have much to say about it. Its a good camera with great bang for the buck so I just peppered it with footage instead.

Didn't have much to say about it, its a good camera with lots of bang for the buck.
So I mostly peppered it with footage.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One of the best reviews of the NX1 around, very good footage with good lenses (apart from the kit lens that most reviews use). This camera is a Pro level camera, and should be treated as such (Like you did), and yet most reviews seem to show it as a low-tier camera which is disapointing.

Eitherway, Im buying mine next week (I've been saying this for about a month -..- ), I absolutely agree with you, this camera surpasses the GH4 by a long shot, and I dont think the rolling shutter is that bad, even for hand-held (unless its really fast paced action).

I am very secure about my purchase, and I know, its the best camera for the price (even against expencifier cameras).

• Super Members

But I wouldn't call the 30/2.0 a kit lens. It's actually good. 

And yes, it's resale value is as I predicted here a few months back plummeting. Just how it is with the less mainstream brands, just look at Sony. So look for used once and get the bargain of the century. 

In Sweden it was a tough sale so I got 20% discount on a new one just a month or two from launch. 

• Super Members

Yes it's good! But I'm wondering about lense compatibility and there's a new Speedbooster for the GH4 and I can use all my EF lenses! I'm thinking GH4 for my situation atm!

If you have a bunch of lenses then maybe gh4 is smarter. I only use lenses that works with all mounts. Accept for the C-Mounts so I can switch mount when I feel like it.

What a coincident! I bought mine today used in copenhagen for about 1500 USD with the 16-50mm S lense and battery grip. i will enjoy watching the rest of your review while huging my NX1 camera! thanks for the great work

​Great deal! If I'd be looking at that combo new, I'd be spending 2599,- EUR according Geizhals.eu ... I did see a 2nd hand NX1 pop up for 959,- though.

Yes it's good! But I'm wondering about lense compatibility and there's a new Speedbooster for the GH4 and I can use all my EF lenses! I'm thinking GH4 for my situation atm!

​Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I love the better lens compatibility and large choice of native lenses (especially for hybrid shooters). Don't forget the vari-angle display! The color and native crop on the NX1 are pretty nice of course. Just hoping the VLOG is coming to the GH4 soon!

I never buy used high end cameras, but I agree that with nx1 you can find some great deals. It is still very underrated despite the great reviews and users' experience.

Btw, I paid a total price of about 1650€ for the combo of nx1 and 16-50s, new, but separate (I bought the 16-50 at launch, long ago, at a friend's shop and the nx1 four months ago). I would not be able to buy at this price, now.

But I wouldn't call the 30/2.0 a kit lens. It's actually good. 

And yes, it's resale value is as I predicted here a few months back plummeting. Just how it is with the less mainstream brands, just look at Sony. So look for used once and get the bargain of the century. 

In Sweden it was a tough sale so I got 20% discount on a new one just a month or two from launch. 

​The 30mm f2.0 isnt, I was talking about the 16-50 3.5-5.6 that most reviewers use..

I enjoyed the review, @Mattias.  Gotta say, I'm half a step away from ordering one, and you may be helping close that gap for me.  I'm stilling in that weird spot of waiting for a new cam (URSA Mini 4.6), but the NX1 is a now cam, and awfully enticing.  I see you used more native glass for this video, I know you've been a fan of some vintage glass, as well. care to share any of those recommendations?

• Super Members

The only native glass I used was the 30/2.0. Most of the footage is vintage. 

I recommend looking for m42 and C/Y mounted lenses. They are future proof since they even work on Canon full frame. 

You can see the 35mm, 24mm and two 50mm that all works great on the NX1 in this.

The only native glass I used was the 30/2.0. Most of the footage is vintage. 

I recommend looking for m42 and C/Y mounted lenses. They are future proof since they even work on Canon full frame. 

You can see the 35mm, 24mm and two 50mm that all works great on the NX1 in this.

Ah. My bad, I thought the 35mm 2.8 was native, as well. Thx for the recommendations.

• Super Members

What strikes me in your sample/test footage is that the shadows appear to be somewhat crushed. Is that the general characteristic of the NX1' s video image, or a matter of camera configuration (or color correction in post)?

I would say a mix of all of the above.

As a swing against the popular lifted milky shadows that's been the thing the last few years I've now started liking true black in my images.