Emma Sulkowicz's Online Sex Art Project is the Internet's Greatest Experiment into Passivity, Trolling, Ethics and Mr. Bloom.

Ed_David

Here's the link - warning - NSFW:

http://www.cecinestpasunviol.com/

http://jezebel.com/emma-sulkowiczs-newest-art-project-is-a-disturbing-sex-1709234401

Perhaps this is the greatest online art experiment I have seen - a faux sex tape based on the artist's rape - puts into question passivity of the internet while a crime is committed, complacency, and of course, online trolling with it's open discussion section - made for reddit trolls!!http://jezebel.com/emma-sulkowiczs-newest-art-project-is-a-… I'M GOING TO CALL IT - Emma Sulkowicz is the voice of our generation.

It questions being passive when one sees a crime committed, as we witnessed recently in our online camera forum with a certain "celebrity" of camera tests.

DO we act when we think we see bad?

Do we watch the video of the artist getting rapped? 

Do we discuss it?

What is our role as filmmakers, as citizens, as humanbeings when something ethically wrong happens?

Especially now that the Internet makes everyone's "private" business our business.

Please check it out and let me know your thoughts

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Not really falling apart just needs a bit of moderation the way Andrew used to do, as in post the  most important news of the time-being opening a relative discussion about what's new. Plus a bit of moderation for irrelevant content (not that this thread is one of those, I don't have a say in that) 

-About the ''art'' above, I find zero art value in the project, absolutely none. Unpleasant work can be art, but this is not even one of those, just plain unpleasant. Art is in the eye of the beholder though. Who am I to judge? 

About rape and harrassment? sure. We all disapprove of it, period. What's there to discuss further? 

Is it a filmmaking-board discussion? I don't think so. We don't even have the most basic comprehension of law to start a serious discussion, other than saying "it's bad'' there's nothing more we can say that's meaningful about the subject or the people in question. 

There are state laws in each country that prohibit it, and court systems that deal with these people just like all crimes. And hey, if you believe the system doesn't work, go start a revolution or something. I can assure you It is not that hard nowadays :) 

Either way I feel there's absolute zero value in discussing a law subject here, if we will discuss the artistic part of it sure,  go ahead: I start the discussion with I don't like the ''art'' on there.

But when it goes onto accusing names and playing a secondary internet court then I 100% disapprove of it.

Living in this crappy miserable part of the world for these many years I learnt one thing about life:

There's no crueler form of injustice than giving the common man on the internet and media the power to make a verdict of someone's guilt based on their personal emotions.

There's no crueler form of injustice than giving the common man on the internet and media the power to make a verdict of someone's guilt based on their personal emotions.

​I totally agree with you Ebrahim. It took me 5 minutes of browsing to find this:

http://reason.com/archives/2015/05/20/columbia-rape-saga-lingers-after-mattres/

So once again Ed you have raised a controversial topic of little filmmaking interest (IMHO) and portrayed a seemingly innocent guy as a sexual predator. That girl is "the voice of our generation"? First of all, she's 21 or 22 years old -not my generation, and I suspect not yours either, Ed- and as far as we know she's just making a show -and getting magazine covers- out of something that is tragic and scarring. Furthermore, it was turned into a "preformance/Degree thesis" and now into a video to keep the wheel going.

Perhaps the crime we are "passive" about is how easy it is to destroy a person's life by means of online slandering without any proof. There are certain issues we are all very sensitive about -such as violence against women- and somehow the importance we grant them overrules other "lesser" rights such as presumption of innocence. Big mistake. That right is the cornerstone of western legal systems, and the only difference between trial and lynching.

And BTW, I personally believe that the inclusion of that blogger/cameraman's last name in the title of a totally unrelated thread is shameful, to say the least. 

The more you comment, the more you contribute to the problem of me - the virus - that has ruined this forum.

That destroyed all that you guys held pure.

I ruined everything - something so beautiful and innocent. This forum - the EOSHD forum - a forum that has it's name based on the EOS camera system - the 5d - I think. Escaping the harshness and reality of life by fetishizing the latest and greatest toy to make your skills better and cheaper, but not by developing the skills but by buying solutions to your issues.

The virus was coming for a while.

And why did I do this - because I wanted to.  Because it's time for all of you guys to move on and create.

Not just hate.

And who am I to be this person who does this?  Someone has to.

WTF are you on about?

I guess you were writing a masterpiece with one hand while you were typing this article with the other? Or are you just a hypocrite

You seem to hate bloom, yet tell people not to hate.

You seem to think people are wasting time here and not being creative, yet waste time here not being creative.

Hahahh, I don't see the connection between the good old 5D and the rapings.

What you are trying to say here is we are too busy worshiping our gear instead of dealing with important issues in our society.

Come on, you just take things too far again. You are going to be like that guy from the Network.

You need to not feed the virus guys. Without a moderator you are on your own. Every reply brings this post back to the top.

You are better than that.

Realize the affects of your action. Do not respond. Let this post die down before its too late and eoshd is destroyed.

This explains how this relates to bloomgate...http://www.thefrisky.com/2015-06-05/emma-sulkowiczs-ceci-nest-pas-un-viol-an-explainer

Basicallt the viewer becomes an active participant in deciding whether an financee and ex girlfriends charge of domestic violence holds salt against the statement of a person none of us know personally but respect.

I didnt bring down eoshd. We all did.

It questions being passive when one sees a crime committed, as we witnessed recently in our online camera forum with a certain "celebrity" of camera tests.

DO we act when we think we see bad?

Do we watch the video of the artist getting rapped? 

Do we discuss it?

​Apparently we're not capable of discussing it. Could've been a good thread, too. 

Dear Ed David, Domestic Abuse (accused domestic abuse) is not on the same level as rape. Not even close. Also bringing this thread back to the top does not bring down the forum, it brings to light your horrific comments, accusations, and topics. They show that you are not here primarily as a filmmaker but as a grandstanding attention seeker, that would rather attack others for their opinions than discuss them.

What do I think of the tape? That Emma is using her rape for personal, political, and financial gain. In that way I suppose she is the voice of her generation. Is rape horrific and terrible, yes it is. Should it be penalized more severely? YES. Should accused parties still be innocent until proven guilty and have the right to their livelihood not being ruined purely on a accusation? YES. Will I watch the video. NO.