New Metabones Speedbooster for the GH4 - S35 crop size!

nahua

Honestly even now super shallow DOF is pretty uncommon for theatrical movies. I think the nice thing about larger sensors is that you can get a sharper image for a given DOF. F/5.6  on full frame will give you a sharp image and more DOF than F/5.6 on m43 or super 16.

​A larger sensor will give you less DoF at a given f-stop than a smaller camera. At F5.6 more will be in focus on a Panasonic GH4 than a Sony A7RII for instance. If separation is imperative, you either go for a larger sensor, or really fast lenses on smaller sensor cameras. If you want extremely shallow focus, you can combine the two and get a super fast lense for Full Frame. Personally, my Nocticron 42.5mm at f1.2 is as shallow as I would EVER want even on m43. I cannot imagine using something that offers a more shallow focus.

Back to the discussion though - I agree, I think the perception has become that shallow focus is more cinematic, but as you and others point out, it isn't REALLY so. It's a combination of many factors, and to some degree, it is subjective.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​A larger sensor will give you less DoF at a given f-stop than a smaller camera. At F5.6 more will be in focus on a Panasonic GH4 than a Sony A7RII for instance. If separation is imperative, you either go for a larger sensor, or really fast lenses on smaller sensor cameras. If you want extremely shallow focus, you can combine the two and get a super fast lense for Full Frame. Personally, my Nocticron 42.5mm at f1.2 is as shallow as I would EVER want even on m43. I cannot imagine using something that offers a more shallow focus.

Back to the discussion though - I agree, I think the perception has become that shallow focus is more cinematic, but as you and others point out, it isn't REALLY so. It's a combination of many factors, and to some degree, it is subjective.

Yeah I know, I just mixed up the terminology. Sorry.

my answer to your wondering about filmic DOF and what makes a technically filmic image is here:

(sorry bit long!) You can skip to the DOF point.

​Very nice article!! As with many things, there is an extreme where very large DoF seems "video-ish", but one doesn't necessarily have to go extreme in the other direction to make it "cinematic" either (as I think your example shows).

to Ebrahim...read your excellent article on the very overused "filmic,cinematic" term. The irony is that the quality of footage coming out of sub $1000 cameras today is astonishing and if we fetishize them less and use them more, the low budget film maker is now in a place unimaginable 10 years ago...a beautifully written and thoughtful essay....Thank you!