4 Camera Shootout and Blind Test

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, the point seems to be that one letter is not indicative of the same camera - so camera A in shot 1 is a different camera than camera A in shot 2, etc.

Mattias, this is all causing lots of confusion. The test methodology, apparently, hasn't been clear enough to most of us.

Can you redeem us and give us the solution of the puzzle?

Well, the point seems to be that one letter is not indicative of the same camera - so camera A in shot 1 is a different camera than camera A in shot 2, etc.

Mattias, this is all causing lots of confusion. The test methodology, apparently, hasn't been clear enough to most of us.

Can you redeem us and give us the solution of the puzzle?

​A B C and D are consistent in clips 1 2 and 3.  They are the same shots if you look closely.  The letters are mixed up for scene 4 and then mixed up again for scene 5.

not too confusing really. first video they're the same letters with different settings on the cameras only. then they're jumbled. D from video 1 is pretty clearly B from scene 4 in video 2 right? he's trying to throw you off a little. tell which you liked best from each scene, and then check out the results when they're up

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Again revisiting scene one I am 90% sure of my previous guess.

A- Canon DSLR 

B- LX100 (or if the moire shown is your fault then nx1)

C- Blackmagic camera but not at 4K, so the pocket. 

D- smartphone

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Wow, just wow. I picked 3 as being the most filmic and the Bolex 100% proves a unique film look. The surprise, the pocket camera's resolution looks so sharp and detailed at 4K we passed it as a 4K camera. 

I learnt a lot, mostly, bolex is a unique film look, pocket is sharp as hell and has a very high IQ that rivals and bests 4K ones!

Thanks. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

There's a very important question for the test, how many of the viewers/nerds/us got the cameras right just from their image? any? none? The answer to this question means a lot. 

I got my favorite camera right - all the shots I preferred were from the BM Pocket, throughout all scenes. What mostly threw me off was the Bolex and the Panasonic camcorder, maybe because they both have CCD sensors with more limited dynamic range. I couldn't stand their image.

But working a lot with BM cameras and Resolve also really teaches you how to technically read an image (and look at it with the eyes of a colorist).

Guess I'm glad I atleast thought the Digital Bolex was the most filmlike. :lol: Other than that it was quite the eye opener. This was great fun. Well done.

Guys (and girl(s)), pauze at 5:45 for an overview of the answers. ;)

Well, Mattias correctly summed up that our viewing habits/preferences are now more tuned to digital cinema images. Conversely, I'd claim that few people still know what chemical film looks like. Most people associate it with an Instagram/retro filter look rather than with the real look of, for example, Kodak Vision3 or Fuji Eterna. (Even the more saturated and crushed reversal stock like Ektachrome and Provia doesn't look like digital retro filters.)