4K 8x10" digital camera

Nikkor

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's actually a 9x11" sensor, so they say...

http://largesense.com/products/8x10-large-format-digital-back-ls911/

But basically it is impossible to make a cmos sensor that size.

Sensors are made out of round silicon wafers, the current (biggest) standard is 300mm (12"). 9x11" does not fit on a 12" wafer. Even if it would, it would be _extremely_ expensive, because a large part of the wafer would be 'waste'.

On top of that, there is always a part of the wafer that has some fault. With small sensors, that's not a big problem, because you just have to throw away a small part (1 sensor) of the wafer. This is the reason fullframe is much more expensive than aps-c.

If you'd make large format sensors this way you'd have to throw away the whole wafer for any error.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I personally Don't believe it until someone I trust tests it and gives a thumb up. The sensor is simply too large and claiming they can read it for 4K video makes it even harder to swallow. 

Plus, I have a reservation. Back in the days I used large format for RESOLUTION, for large landscape printings, not portraits and shallow depth of field (FF + 1.2 is already the verge of what's humanely acceptable to shoot with). So having that size of a sensor with just 12mp kind of defeats the purpose of a large format camera system. That's a pure opinion. 

I don't find a useful application for this beyond fullframe and medium format unless it matures to be an ultra high megapixel sensor (60-100) with ultra high lowlight performance that truly exceeds normal limits. Otherwise what's the point? 

I don't find a useful application for this beyond fullframe and medium format unless it matures to be an ultra high megapixel sensor (60-100) with ultra high lowlight performance that truly exceeds normal limits. Otherwise what's the point? 

​Camera movements.  IF this is true and the price is reasonable it would be an architecture beast.  12 MP is a bit limited for print.  But think of all the real estate stuff on the web.  Even pamphlets don't need anything beyond 12 MP.  This would make shooting tricky interiors and exteriors a breeze.

What about camera movement?

Not “camera movement,” “camera movements

Camera movements allow you to move the lens and the film plane in relation to each other.  It allows you to change the focus plane and allows the elimination of things like converging parallel lines when shooting architecture.  Tilt shift lenses allow this type of thing to a degree.  But they are far more limited than large format cameras.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Not “camera movement,” “camera movements

Camera movements allow you to move the lens and the film plane in relation to each other.  It allows you to change the focus plane and allows the elimination of things like converging parallel lines when shooting architecture.  Tilt shift lenses allow this type of thing to a degree.  But they are far more limited than large format cameras.

​Perhaps that's the only real point you could sell it for. Pretty niche and not exclusive to this one. I see no practical point in this product, just a technology expo maybe.

I just scanned the article but iirc he says he was spending $50k/yr on polaroid, if he's primarily using it for the test and it's cost effective why not. We used 5x4 and 10x8 polaroid for years to check the shot and that certainly wasn't high resolution either.

dan