Full Frame Camera Advice!!!!

Germy1979

Hey everyone:)

I'm in the market for a full frame camera.  I have the GH2 right now, but it seems lately I've seen some very sexy images from the Mark 2.  To the point where I've now decided I'd like to grab one... 

The issue comes into play of its obvious weaknesses.  The Mark 3 has yet to impress me, but then again, I've yet to see a video from the Mark 3 that matches the image of the Mark 2.  I'm not sure if this is a weird perception, but it seems like the Mark 2's image looks better to me.  Call me crazy, but the newly redesigned sensor looks like it took something away from it.

I have a full rig complete with an external monitor that I'm aware would flip right to 480p upon record.  And that sucks... 

For the money, I imagine it would be smarter to grab a BMCC..  But that's a sensor smaller than the GH2's.  You can get a VAF-5D2 filter for the Mark 2 as well for the aliasing, moire stuff.

I guess I need to justify spending a couple grand on a Mark 2 vs grabbing a BMCC.  I imagine most of you will say get the BMCC!!  12bit raw, 13 stops DR, etc...  But man I really like what I've seen from the Mark 2.

Talk some sense into me, lol...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
The Black Magic doesn't exist yet, so it's hard to comment on it. However, I've found that most peoples opinions on it are saturated with wishful thinking.

It all depends what you plan shooting. I think the 5D2 and gh2 compliment each other well, and make for a versatile toolkit.  Personally I'd wait until the fall announcements before i make any purchasing decisions. I'm still hoping for a 5-C.

Do you have Canon glass? If not, how about a D800?  It has considerably more crisp video images than both the 5D2 and 5D3, albeit with moire issues similar to the 5D2. 

For low light shooting the 5D3 would be the obvious choice.  If you plan to do any photography, and want an extremely capable FF HDSLR camera that doesn't that the HDMI scaling issues when used with a field monitor like the 5D2, has uncompressed HDMI out, headphone jack, etc, a D800 is well worth a look.  Besides that it's a beast of a still camera probably the best currently available. 

Hey thanks guys!

I started this whole search with the Mark ii years ago...  I actually saved up for one, and wound up dropping the money on a GH2 with a rig instead...  I get great stuff from my Gh.  Low and behold, somebody does something great with a Mark ii and I remember why i loved it.  It actually has it's own "character".  I'm not much on its wide shots, but damnit!...does it do amazing tight ones.  I don't really notice moire and aliasing in those vids and i'm sure it's there... 

The D800 was seriously a huge contender for me.  They've got a working aliasing filter out there tweaking right now too.  I don't have enough canon glass to justify a Mk2, but my buddies do!  Lol..  (good Sh-t too..).  So access to those lenses is a factor. 

I guess as long as I don't do a profile on a guy in a flannel shirt with it I'll be fine... Lol

[quote author=HurtinMinorKey link=topic=944.msg6841#msg6841 date=1341513882]
The Black Magic doesn't exist yet, so it's hard to comment on it. However, I've found that most peoples opinions on it are saturated with wishful thinking.

It all depends what you plan shooting. I think the 5D2 and gh2 compliment each other well, and make for a versatile toolkit.  Personally I'd wait until the fall announcements before i make any purchasing decisions. I'm still hoping for a 5-C.
[/quote]

Yeah i hear ya..  The Bmcc on paper just looks like the Christ of cameras we've all been waiting for.  It will probably kick @ss..  I really wanna wait until the end of the year once everybody has laid their cards on the table and make a decision...  I think i'm in the zone now of, "it's summer, stop window shopping and shoot something.".  It's all impatience really and I've been struck by the Mark 2 image for years anyway.. 

Nobody wants buyers remorse though, and I'd hate to buy a 4 year old camera just to be pissed at myself when the Gh3 or whatever comes out and smokes it.  At some point it always becomes, "i gotta have the next best thing.".

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=944.msg6904#msg6904 date=1341669103]
If you can, wait for the new full frame cameras due in September. Lower priced (Nikon D600) and more advanced (Sony A99 with 1080/60p)
[/quote]

Holy crap..

http://thenewcamera.com/?tag=sony-a99

Can't say i was watching Sony these days, but i guess these specs leaked yesterday.  This looks like a beast

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=944.msg6904#msg6904 date=1341669103]
If you can, wait for the new full frame cameras due in September. Lower priced (Nikon D600) and more advanced (Sony A99 with 1080/60p)
[/quote]

yes.  That is best