Resolve 12 Will Change Everything

Ed_David

Version 12 is out, and it is painfully slow (for me), even with no editing, does not support AVI container (Pentax K-5), etc etc. Still it's great to try grading there, though i'd like to speed it up a bit. What kind of GPU acceleration does it use? CUDA or OpenCL? What impact does it make in grading?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Version 12 is out, and it is painfully slow (for me), even with no editing, does not support AVI container (Pentax K-5), etc etc. Still it's great to try grading there, though i'd like to speed it up a bit. What kind of GPU acceleration does it use? CUDA or OpenCL? What impact does it make in grading?

The way I understand it, you need a dedicated gfx card to get good performance, that is a card that isn't driving any monitor. With my single 970 GTX under Win 10, right now Premiere Pro has much better performance than Resolve.

there is Resolve 12 Configuration Guide, they say both OpenCL and CUDA are supported natively,

http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/DaVinci_Resolve_12_Beta_Configuration_Guide.pdf

though it doesn't help in choosing over a better OpenCL performing card or a better CUDA one.

Whatever you choose, I believe it's important to have multiple cards (ideally with one Quadro-like card) and sufficient gfx RAM (2+ for 1080p, 4++ for 4K).

So far, (...) but I did played with editing (not fully) ...

As far as I can see, the editing tools don't reinvent the wheel. However, there seem to be huge improvements in media organisation compared to other NLEs, though not very obvious to find if you start playing with it the old way. Just one unsuspicious example: 

You click once on a clip in the Media Storage Browser (which represents the path to where your unimported footage lives). This loads the clip into the viewer. You set in- and out points, then you right-click into the jog bar and create a subclip, and this portion is imported. Go on by intelligently tagging the clips, utilizing the existing metadata and what you need to add to make them searchable in smart bins.

As I said, these things don't look like something to write home about, but they will make a huge difference at the end of the day, when others still sit despairing over hundreds of clips, batch-imported into dumb folders and portion-wise thrown into the timeline to test them (which I saw as a habit with more than one Premiere users) ...

EDIT: Well, in theory ...

This description (on page 182 in the manual):

Adding Subclips From the Media Storage Browser

If you’re browsing long source clips in the Media Storage browser, but you only want to import a small segment of a much longer clip into the Media Pool, you can create subclips directly from the Media Storage browser.

To add a subclip from a clip in the Media Storage browser to the Media Pool:

1. Single-click any clip in the Media Storage browser to open it into the Viewer in order to create a subclip without needing to first import that clip into the Media Pool.

2. Set In and Out points in the Source Viewer to define the section you want to turn into a subclip.

3. Right-click the jog bar and choose Make Subclip from the contextual menu. 

... doesn't work on my machine, because "right-click" does nothing! Is that because it's a beta? 

Another thing about the viewer's jog bar: why is there no option to play back from in to out?

And read this:

Icon View and List View

The contents of the Media Pool can be browsed one of two ways:

> Icon view: Each clip is represented by an icon, with its file name appearing underneath. When you move the pointer over a clip’s icon, Resolve automatically scrubs through that clip, showing you its contents. 

Now, wouldn't this be just too good to be true? Hover-scrubbing (a.k.a. skimming) over a not-yet-imported clip? Doesn't work for me. Any other experiences?  

Now, wouldn't this be just too good to be true? Hover-scrubbing (a.k.a. skimming) over a not-yet-imported clip? Doesn't work for me. Any other experiences?  

Yeah, it works. But only within the tiny thumbnails. Mr Petty, why is there no playback at least in the viewer to actually see something?

After trying it for about a week I'm pretty sure I just don't have the hardware to run this. Playback is extremely choppy (which is ok, I can deal with that). Problem is that when I go to render the finished product is also choppy and full of artifacts. I almost certain I'm setting up my projects properly but for whatever reason, the renders are not working.  My other editing program has choppy playback (with 4k video) but renders beautifully. I'll keep trying to fix it. Maybe even delete it and re upload as maybe there was a problem with the initial download of resolve. Beautiful program. I hope I can fix it.

Funny, I was ready to try Resolve or FCPx for the real-time grading, then Premiere CC2015 added the new real-time grading in the timeline with most of the camera raw style options, and I stuck with it. It's such a cat and mouse game...

Allright, I found out how to do it. Try this with Premiere, and describe the exact steps:

To create a subclip:

1. Select any clip in the Media Pool to open it into the Viewer.

2. Set In and Out points to define the section you want to turn into a subclip.

3. Right-click the jog bar and choose Make Subclip.

A new subclip appears in the Media Pool, automatically selected so that you can immediately edit its metadata in the Metadata Editor.

Once created, subclips appear and work like any other clip in Resolve. 

This is all about the very first step. Finding the appropriate footage you need for your project. Preview it with as little clicks as possible, import it. Say, I want to preview and import twenty clips, and of those some multiple selections (i.e. from a long speech). Here is my newly found workflow:

1. In the media storage window (set to list view as opposed to the anyway crippled thumbnail view), select the upper clip. This loads it in the viewer.

clicks so far: one

2. Play back clip with spacebar or JKL

3. Set in- and out points.

4. Click right between in- and outpoint (that was my mistake earlier): make subclip. The selection is imported into the media pool.

clicks so far: two. If the make subclip command was a shortcut, it would remain one click! Please anyone tell me there already is one. Or, BM, create one, an easy one please!

5. Clear selection with alt + x, make new selection, then repeat step 4.

6. Use down arrow key to jump to the next clip. This is automatically loaded to the viewer.

And so forth.

As I wrote, this is the first step. I am just about to figure out how best to organize the clips, but I'm confident that it's not too much different from FCP X.

Does resolve 12 support the gyroscopic metadata that the ursa mini records? Can this data be used for post image stabilization? If so this is potentially a really big deal.

There is no entry for such metadata in the current version, but who knows?

Anyway, though it's the Ursa Mini, it isn't prone to shaky camerawork due to it's considerable weight. What is more, gimbals are getting better. My friend just bought the Sony Zeiss 16-35mm for his A7s. It has optical stabilisation built in. This works for video, and there is little to complain about it.

The gyro data could be used to have tracking data for compositings, you know, to let the background move with your camera.

Don't know if this is relevant to you, but Resolve 12 is now running without special 3D graphics cards as stated above. 11 didn't work at all on my Lenovo with HD Graphics 4400, but it now does.

I felt the same way too, even on my Dell Inspiron 660s -- now that they support OpenCL 1.2

It still has a Cuda requirement.  I guess it's Premiere until I upgrade my hardware in ~3 years.

It doesn't. Intel HD Graphics has no CUDA. I am running Win 10, though, might make a difference with DirectX 12. Can't seem to render out 4K clips, though. Will try some more later.