GH4 things

Karpalino

Hi,

I had a GH4 for testing video, and some questions came up, maybe you could help on these.

1. I had a 16GB UHS1 card, and longer clips were cut into 4GB files, is there a workaround on this?

2. I shot 4K to check resolution, and it was nice :) What would you recommend software for batch processing the 4K clips to 1080p? My current laptop does not have enough power to play clips in Premiere.

3. As a PC user, should I set GH4 to save mp4 or mov files? If I user mp4, do I miss some compatibility which would come up later...

All the best,

Kari

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

1. The 4GB clips are a function of the file system used on SD cards.  It uses FAT32 which has a maximum file size of 4GB.   Be thankful they span beautifully on the GH4.

2. Do you have Adobe Media Encoder?

3. I don't think it matters either way whether you use mp4 or mov.   I could be wrong so get other opinions on this one. 

shooting in 4k I think the camera automatically cuts a continuous shot into sections that are usually about 4 GB i think. No workaround as far as I know. they all match up just fine if you lay them in the timeline like normal. recording in 1080p might not have a limit but I'm not completely sure. Johnny's correct, be thankful

I use mpeg sreamclip for some things. its free and has a good bit of features. Id use adobe media encoder though if you have that. You should download the DNxHD codec too if you don't already have it. I normally just make a project with a 1080p timeline and put the 4k files in as they are. If your computer is having trouble just don't always playback in full resolution. A lot of computers can have trouble playing back compressed 4k files in real time. Need to have a good graphics card and a good amount of RAM

mpegstreamclip - http://www.squared5.com/

I am a PC user and shoot them as .mov. Unless I'm using the 4:3 anamorphic mode which only records in mp4. I haven't noticed any real differences, though they are not 100% identical

1. The 4GB clips are a function of the file system used on SD cards.  It uses FAT32 which has a maximum file size of 4GB.   Be thankful they span beautifully on the GH4.

http://suggestionofmotion.com/blog/panasonic-gh4-memory-file-size-limit/ A nice article that explain the limit. Now what is still unclear is why it does have this limit even if the SDXC Cards on the GH4 formated in ExFAT have this limit.