using Olympus lenses on Panasonic body's

Ak Ns

• 1 year later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was looking into this and found someone on reddit who says that there is a difference in autofocus speed between using native panasonic lenses vs olympus:

"There is a difference in autofocus speed.

Panasonic started to implement DFD(depth from defocus) technology and it is using Panasonic lens bokeh data to reduce hunting and increase af speed." - articrobot

Someone else mentions in that thread:

"Recently bought Olympus 40-150mm f4-5.6 (99€!) for my G7, in low light situations it hustles a bit more to get focus (AF) right, sometimes won't reach it at all." - carlakene

https://www.reddit.com/r/PanasonicG7/comments/40ifgx/panasonic_g7_with_olympus_lenses/

Is this right? Olympus lenses are now slower on new Panasonic bodies?

7 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Is the olympus clutch manual focus usable with follow focus?

Yes, because it has hard stops, but they're still not as good as real manual lenses. Here's the deal: The Olympus primes have a distance scale and a very nice tactile feel, but the focus ring actually causes your focus point to jump between many discrete distances, not the smooth infinite spectrum of a proper manual focus lens. Therefore, you'll see your focus point "stutter" a bit as you turn it. This was improved from the 12mm to the 17mm, and again to the 12-40, but I haven't used any of them enough to say for sure whether or not it's noticeable in practical shooting situations.

9 hours ago, tdonovic said:

I've used all three pro zooms, and only use them. The 12-40 and the 7-14 are the best, they really do respond like a regular lens with a follow focus. The 40-150 is still usable, it gets a bit jumpy when focusing near infinity though

In manual focus mode, do they remember the focus position when turning off/on the camera?   (my panasonic lenses don't)

1 hour ago, Sven said:

In manual focus mode, do they remember the focus position when turning off/on the camera?   (my panasonic lenses don't)

They sure do! In fact, they remember your manual focus clutch position if you switch back to AF, too, so if you set your Mf ring to one point, switch to AF, then focus to a different point, simply moving the focus back to MF will snap your focus straight to that second point. Kind of interesting for when you need a quick pull.

15 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

They sure do! In fact, they remember your manual focus clutch position if you switch back to AF, too, so if you set your Mf ring to one point, switch to AF, then focus to a different point, simply moving the focus back to MF will snap your focus straight to that second point. Kind of interesting for when you need a quick pull.

That's great!

1 hour ago, jase said:

Oly 12mm has those jumps when using the manual focus mode. The 17mm doesnt have any jumps - at least i dont notice them at all. 12mm is unusable for focus pulls.

I sold it when I noticed it and I took the 12-40, really great all-round lens.