The Disappearance of Andrew Reid

LaneMc

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's getting to a point quite worrying, no normal un-unfortunate event would cause such disappearance from work.

Anyone here with a personal relation with Andrew (address, phone, family, friend, etc) would help a lot (mods maybe?)

If you're really worried, that's kind. Definitely hope he's okay. But we shouldn't like beg him to do more posts etc. He can have other work and a personal life without having to bottle feed us all the time ;). Though of course all of his posts are appreciated and enlightening

Can't even take a few weeks off from the interwebz nowadays – horrible. Thankfully, I don't have a following. :D

Go away for a year on vacation, no problem; disappear for a week without telling anyone, problem. Anyway, he must be ecstatic that we care! :)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

He's fine. Great to know. He seems to be taking a month off the camera blog atmosphere he says.

Great to know. Let's move on this topic. 

The pace Andrew kept up the past two years has always amazed me.  I've been expecting him to break down for a long time. Whether he got sick, exploded or quietly walked away doesn't matter.  What's important is he has stepped back and taken some time for himself.   There is no end to camera testing.  There is no end to forum conversations. There are no end of people looking to get something from you.  

When I first came upon this site I bought the Canon 50D RAW video manual.  Andrew seemed to be a young film-maker who discovered how one could shoot film quality stuff on a consumer camera.  He was a film-maker first, blog-host second.  Then he started to get access to expensive, professional cameras (not the focus of this site).  Then he got into a "thing" with Canon.  Next came 4K cameras which, though they have their place, distracted him from gimbals, lighting, lenses, audio, and other parts of film-making.

I hope he is returning to film-making and can find some balance between it, and what he has time to share.   I think he's done enough camera tests for one life-time.  I believe the success of this site, which is considerable, came at a personal cost to him.

I'm always flabbergasted at the amount of cameras he buys, is it for his own use or just for reviews on this site? Must be difficult to keep up and stay focused, all these cameras/reviews/books/news reports etc.

This applies to everybody - full-on camera nerdy-ness completely drains the life out of you and any creativity you have left in you. For the past 2 months I've almost completely ignored camera/gadgety nerdy stuff and focused on creativity entirely. Videos have much improved, and because of this, better opportunities have cropped up. 

Every filmmaker gets burnt out. I get burnt out twice a year. You just have to stay focused to keep well and not to overwhelm yourself with unnecessary clutter. Maybe Mr. Reid is decluttering, who knows. Rest is a good sign of gaining some sanity ;)