Major EOSHD forum upgrade coming

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Thanks to those regular posters and an expanding interest from new users, I have decided to upgrade the forum.

Version 2.0 will take the forum to a more advanced level but also make it better laid out and more attractive to look at.

I'm curious to know how people feel about certain possible new features... Please rate them in relation to how important / exciting you feel these are...

- The ability to 'like' and rate posts out of 5
- A home page with some good 'editor nominated' posts upgraded to prominence like a featured article
- A "recent topics" box in a sidebar
- Improved search feature
- Better navigation
- Division of forum into cameras (i.e. GH2, Blackmagic, 5D Mark III, FS100)
- Keep forum as one single board, flat design
- The ability to sign on with a Facebook or Twitter account
- Feature to insert images inline with text and more layout options for posts
- Facebook like chat pop-up
- Keep it simple and clean (i.e. don't add too many extra features)

I'm also curious as to how you all would feel if I had comments on the articles themselves again like in the past rather than a link to discuss it on the forum.

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome!

Thanks for keeping the EOSHD forum so informative and troll free. It is being noticed more and more the quality of posts compared to other forums.

Cheers!
Andrew

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Andrew

1) It would be nice to have video competitions or even somewhere to show your latest film or test film but if you did think about this I'd be careful about making rules and then sticking to them as it takes a lot of time and effort to make something even though it might be fun and then real annoyance when a pro steps in and takes first prize or someone enters a film so good but is outside the set rules.

2) I'm not sure its time yet to have separate forums for different cameras and so I'd go with the forum as it is for now. Definately something to consider for the future though. 

• Administrators
[quote author=markm link=topic=939.msg6803#msg6803 date=1341436139]
Andrew

1) It would be nice to have video competitions or even somewhere to show your latest film or test film but if you did think about this I'd be careful about making rules and then sticking to them as it takes a lot of time and effort to make something even though it might be fun and then real annoyance when a pro steps in and takes first prize or someone enters a film so good but is outside the set rules.

2) I'm not sure its time yet to have separate forums for different cameras and so I'd go with the forum as it is for now. Definately something to consider for the future though.
[/quote]

1) You mean like challenges? This would be interesting.

I think it would be a mistake to create sub-forums for cameras and have comments directly on articles. Really you'd just be dividing an already small community.

I don't think it would be very popular, but one idea I like is the option to hide post counters for yourself and others. Post counters seem incredibly archaic to me. The only important thing on a forum should be the quality of the posts.

[quote author=MOONGOAT link=topic=939.msg6819#msg6819 date=1341474210]
I think it would be a mistake to create sub-forums for cameras and have comments directly on articles. Really you'd just be dividing an already small community.

[/quote]

+1

Its good to see at a glance what conversations are going on and what activity has taken place.  And there is no risk of missing something that somebody commented about an article.

Andrew,

I second the call for simplicity )

The division of the forum by cameras made cinema5d less human. Really.

Right now the forum of eoshd.com is driven by your posts, very information-packed and cutting edge ones. Keep it up, drive it.

Good luck and enjoy this community.
Thnx for your efforts.

I'm a moderator over on DWF (Digital Wedding Forum) and we've found by experience there that you should keep sub-forums to the absolute minimum necessary. Right now there isn't enough traffic here to make it worth splitting things up by camera make IMHO.

Rating posts? - maybe - or keep it simple and just have a "thanks" button, or a "thumbs up / thumbs down" option.

My overall feeling is it's working fine right now, no pressing need to make drastic changes.

• Administrators
Thanks everyone.

There will not be a drastic change to design, and it will be a simple formula. Just less cluttered and more attractive.

I agree keeping the forum flat is a good idea, no sub-parts where stuff tends to get lost. I do however think some kind of 'most popular posts' or 'recent posts' box in a side bar would be helpful for the main view, as being presented with 25 lines of topics is information overload. Sometimes you just want to see "what's new" at a glance.

Vitaliy Kiselev is also one that claims a flat view with no sub-sections is best. He claims to have done a lot of research into this. When it comes to technical / info stuff I'd tend to believe him on that :)