Canon EF 40mm F2.8 Pancake Review

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/canon-ef-40mm-pancake-5d-mark-iii-review.jpg[/img]

Canon’s first ever pancake has been cooked up. Is it sweet or a bit crêpe? EOSHD takes a look.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/?p=8344/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hey Andrew!

Did you test the 40mm pancake with Okii USB controllers? In such case how did it work?

Does the 5D3 identify the lens for Peripheral Illumination Correction / Chromatic Aberration correction?

How was the AF while recording video or in live view mode with this lens on the 5D3 compared to other Canon lenses?

As far as I know, since the AF motor and diaphragm system is [b]in the lens[/b], current Canon DSLR should be able to take advantage of the AF and smooth aperture change of this lens (via Firmware update). Could you check if the pancake has the exact same lens connectors as other EF lenses?

I'm suspecting upcoming firmware update for 5D3 will include support for this.

Thanks!

The Canon 40mm F2.8 in Canada is 229$ (sharper wide open, shallower depth of field)
The Panasonic 20mm F1.7 is 499$

What a complete joke, everybody talks about what a good deal the GH2 is and then fails to mention how monstrously over priced micro 4/3 lens are. It's not just priced like premium system it's priced ABOVE all other dslr systems when you take lens into consideration.  How sad is it that it's cheaper to build a full frame system than a micro four thirds system.

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=938.msg6811#msg6811 date=1341449556]
Stay tuned. I'll have some FS100 anamorphic stuff by the bucket load in the coming weeks.
[/quote]

If you've got anything with the Kowa for Bell&Howell, I'd even pay to see it!

• Administrators
[quote author=bradleyg5 link=topic=938.msg6814#msg6814 date=1341466727]
The Canon 40mm F2.8 in Canada is 229$ (sharper wide open, shallower depth of field)

What a complete joke, everybody talks about what a good deal the GH2 is and then fails to mention how monstrously over priced micro 4/3 lens are. It's not just priced like premium system it's priced ABOVE all other dslr systems when you take lens into consideration.  How sad is it that it's cheaper to build a full frame system than a micro four thirds system.
[/quote]

Elephant in the room to your argument - 1000's of adaptable lenses. You can build a Micro 4/3rd's system with Canon FD lenses far more cheaply than the same glass on full frame.

thats a nifty little lens right there!  It prompts a question relating to your metabones adaptor

re. the metabones ef to nex adaptor.  does it provide video mode OSS from IS canon lenses on the nex system?  Does the adaptor allow Af tracking in video mode?  are there any real let downs?  i'd like a canon L 24-70 straight 2.8 on a the emount and the metabones looks like it will allow this.. 

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=938.msg6823#msg6823 date=1341490572]
[quote author=bradleyg5 link=topic=938.msg6814#msg6814 date=1341466727]

[/quote]

Elephant in the room to your argument - 1000's of adaptable lenses. You can build a Micro 4/3rd's system with Canon FD lenses far more cheaply than the same glass on full frame.
[/quote]

Not when you consider M43 system are cropped anyway but lens with an equivelent DOF to a FF are a lot more expensive. Yes you can use the EF 40mm f2.8 with an adapter to the GH2 but you wont get the same focal and DOF range if it is on a FF Canon.

Hey Andrew. Great review. I was reading through the Anamorphic shooters guide and in the coverage/vignetting section it says that for the Kowa (I have a dual focussing Isco Centavision, the one with Kowa glass in it) that the coverage is 45mm on an APS-C. My question is does this 40mm change this. Can this be used with the Kowa?