Zeiss Otus 55mm F/1.4 or 85mm F/1.4 - Canon 1D C !

lafilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think it's a foregone conclusion they're optically superior to the cp2s and cn-es. You always pay a premium for cine lenses. 

​Sure appears that way. Seems quite a few people on the net are saying just as much.

Now the question, a Canon Cine Lens (prime) for the 1D C?

Or, go with the Zeiss Otus 55mm or 85mm?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I'd take an Otus over a Rehoused Canon 50mm 1.2 anyday (it's a LOVELY lens but not for 4000$), unless I REALLY need that cinema housing/gears/size. Just miles better optics and much better value even for re-sale, Otus is a legend and always will be = high resale value.

If you need a Cine Prime lens with gears I'd get a Sigma 50mm ART and rehouse, or if budget allows a 55mm Otus (it's miles ahead of the Canon 50mm optics and miles ahead of Sigma's ART optics even if many try to indicate the sigma matches it for some reason, it doesn't, it's the sharpest 50 behind the otus in all optical qualities, inc. sharpness)

Get an Otus...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd take an Otus over a Rehoused Canon 50mm 1.2 anyday (it's a LOVELY lens but not for 4000$), unless I REALLY need that cinema housing/gears/size. Just miles better optics and much better value even for re-sale, Otus is a legend and always will be = high resale value.

If you need a Cine Prime lens with gears I'd get a Sigma 50mm ART and rehouse, or if budget allows a 55mm Otus (it's miles ahead of the Canon 50mm optics and miles ahead of Sigma's ART optics even if many try to indicate the sigma matches it for some reason, it doesn't, it's the sharpest 50 behind the otus in all optical qualities, inc. sharpness)

Get an Otus...

​Ebrahim, completely agree with you! Nothing seems to compare to the Otus except the Arri Ultra Primes. Amazing quality for the price. Blows pretty much everything else out of the water. 

Really shocked there is so little video footage from DP's with these lenses.

I guess in this economy most people still cannot afford to pay $4,500 for a prime.

​Ebrahim, completely agree with you! Nothing seems to compare to the Otus except the Arri Ultra Primes. Amazing quality for the price. Blows pretty much everything else out of the water. 

Really shocked there is so little video footage from DP's with these lenses.

I guess in this economy most people still cannot afford to pay $4,500 for a prime.

​The key selling point of OTUS is that it provides the closest replication of medium format.  A 55mm f1.4 which is sharp and clean wide open on full frame looks very similar to a 80mm f2.8 on medium format.  I'd say a hacked 5dmk3 shooting raw, with the 55mm/1.4 would probably be the easiest way to get the look of the alexa65 with an 80mm lens.

​The key selling point of OTUS is that it provides the closest replication of medium format.  A 55mm f1.4 which is sharp and clean wide open on full frame looks very similar to a 80mm f2.8 on medium format.  I'd say a hacked 5dmk3 shooting raw, with the 55mm/1.4 would probably be the easiest way to get the look of the alexa65 with an 80mm lens.

​I would agree with the medium format look, richg101,

However hacked 5D3 is inferior to Canon 1D C but I get what you're saying.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

​True in the all 11 aspects of image quality expect only one, colour. The 5D MKIII 14bit 444 RAW colours are superior, in fact it's superior to quite everything else out there. It the photographic stills frame raw colour quality brought to cinema with a code line. 

I still would prefer the 1DC image over the 5DIII raw in all projects except maybe for ones requiring unexceptionally high quality colour fedility, like fashion shooting, fabrics, make up, and shooting a plain banding-inducing sky at the yellow golden hour! Pretty niche applications but worth mentioning. 

• 3 months later...

Would it be a financial overkill to invest in Otus lenses instead of lets say Milvus for S35 sensor camera, I'm asking because Otus probably shows it's full potential on FF cameras but I'm not sure is it that much better on crop sensor?

I know that Milvus haven't came out still, but will be probably a little better than older Z range.

If I had to choose one of them it would be the 55 1.4, looks impressive. But for 4000$....

araucaria, why the 55 1.4, instead of 85mm? Are you talking stills? Or, full-frame video?

I did read a blog where 2 different photogs said the 85mm was slightly sharper (if that's possible) than the 55mm.

Of course it depends on what you're shooting.

Would it be a financial overkill to invest in Otus lenses instead of lets say Milvus for S35 sensor camera, I'm asking because Otus probably shows it's full potential on FF cameras but I'm not sure is it that much better on crop sensor?

I know that Milvus haven't came out still, but will be probably a little better than older Z range.

sudopera, if you have the money the Otus line is far superior wide open (full frame or S35).

I believe there won't be much of a difference by the time you're at 5.6 ap.

On the Milvus line, only the 50mm and the 85mm are brand new designs. All the other focal lengths on Milvus are taken from old Z (with better housing).

The Otus line is really brilliant. Cinematographers here in LA are literally begging Zeiss to bring the Otus out in the CP.2 housing.

Even as is, the focus throw is quite long. No de-clicking as on Loxia, however.

sudopera, if you have the money the Otus line is far superior wide open (full frame or S35).

I believe there won't be much of a difference by the time you're at 5.6 ap.

On the Milvus line, only the 50mm and the 85mm are brand new designs. All the other focal lengths on Milvus are taken from old Z (with better housing).

The Otus line is really brilliant. Cinematographers here in LA are literally begging Zeiss to bring the Otus out in the CP.2 housing.

Even as is, the focus throw is quite long. No de-clicking as on Loxia, however.

I thought so but Zeiss representative said that Milvus line will resolve 4K and even 6K without a problem, so I just wondered if Otus line is that much better.

I would agree with the medium format look, richg101,

I don't know. 5d3 hacked plusses:

+ RAW (this is major)

+ less rolling shutter (you can get 16ms rolling shutter on the 5d3 hacked (4ms less than regular 5d. 1DC has too much rolling shutter, on the level of the a7s)

+ way better histogram, peaking etc tools.

+ no crop

Also, my god the 50mm f1.2 looks great when shot with RAW. The bokeh is crazy awesome (oval-like, reminds me of anamorphic lenses)

So Otus line, according to Ming Thein who just spent time at Zeiss for the Milvus unveiling, is designed by the group responsible for the Master Prime

lenses.....

$4K looks a bargain compared to $14 or $28K for the cine lenses ... and you don't need a sherpa or four assistants to carry your gear.

As he points out these lenses should be viewed as lifelong acquisitions ... amortize them over 20 years ... drop a Starbuck's latte a day and they are paid for in three years each ... at the end of 20 years they will still have a value ... 

I have lost a lot of value over the recent years in depreciation of digital camera bodies ... almost none in decent lenses.

Bob