Samsung nx1 new firmware 1.31

Raymond Poulet

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks Raymond!

The link for DPReview still leads to 1.22 so and my NX1 says it is up to date when I get my device info and then click software update, so Samsung PR and tech support are not in sync.  Oh well it will be cool to check out when available. Feature list below:

Still Photo Enhancements:

• Enhanced AF performance in low light condition
  • Enhanced AF performance in backlit and spot light
  • Enhanced AF performance in the corners when utilizing 16-50mm PZ lens
  • Enhanced Face Detection AF performance
  • Enhanced AF performance in movie mode
  • Added “Zone AF” mode
  • Increased the size of AF to 5 steps in AF “Area Size” 
  • No time limitation in Bulb mode
  • Increased the time-lapse to 3000 shots
  • Includes 4 most popular Pro Suggest presets (Cinematic, Memories, Gorgeous night, & High Speed)
  • Simplified EXIF data preview 

Video Recording Enhancements:

• Larger sensor read out data size with improved FHD quality up to 60P
  • Time code added features:  
    • Count Up: Rec run / automatic restart when shooting / Free run
    • Time Notation [Manual time setting (Hour/Min/Sec/Frame), Internal camera time]
    • Internal time / External recorder
    • Drop frame / Non-drop frame
  • “1920x1080 (120)” setting in the Movie Size Menu for easy access
  • Auto Mic Control On/Off
  • Histogram & Digital Level is displayed during standby / recording mode
  • Capture individual 4K frame forward & backward with precision (Embedded EXIF data in jpeg)
  • Added NEW MF Responsiveness mode (Capable of setting to Low, Medium, High focus angle in manual focus mode).
  • Remains in Stand By mode after recording

Connectivity Enhancements:

• JPEG, RAW (JPEG preview only), & Video transfer via WiFi (RAW files are converted to JPEG thumbnail with Picture Wizard setting embedded and then transfer to smartphone for preview only.)
  • Introducing NEW Samsung Remote Studio software (Download via launcher, Full control of NX1 through USB)
  • Supports Tizen OS TV connection

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/EV-NX1ZZZBMBUS

I think it's 1.3 not 1.31. It should be the reworked fw rumored some days ago, let's hope it really improves af as mentioned. Nx1 totally needs this.

P.s. I don't see mention about lossy raw alternative for stills (present in nx500). Too bad if not there.

Also, not many featuresfeatures/improvements that we requested long time ago through Andrew. :-( 

I have briefly checked new firmware:
- Quality of 1080p60fps is better - image is more detailed and bitrate in highest settings is now 80mbit/s (40mbit/s before), still aliasing
- there is now direct mode for 1080p120fps, so it is now recording also sound and all 120 frames - not just slowmo 60fps
- great that video standby mode remains after video recording
- AF is probably better, but too soon to say (I just have 30mmf2, probably better with 16-50S)

----- I still miss --- you can suggest more if you want
- EVF switch in video mode
- magnification help for MF in video mode
- with Samsung lenses: camera does not remember focus settings between modes - eg. manual focus should remains manual focus even I switch between photo/video mode. 
- crop in video mode

- higher bitrate for 4K and 120fps1080p
- 240 fps 1080p (at least in crop mode)
- RAW video

----- new bugs ---
- in 1/2 slowmotion mode for 1080p60fps video standby mode works just couple of seconds and it returns back to photo mode. Changing resolution means camera's crash (removing battery is necessary). I have noticed that with MF lens, but problem will be probably also with Samsung lenses as well
- (luckily with Samsung lenses in video mode: in previous firmware - after recording video in MF mode camera was set back to AF but it now remains in MF (great)... but it seems as bug becuase icons on left side are changed and they look like the camera is in AF mode. I am happy that camera remains in MF anyway) Edited: Sometimes stays in MF and sometimes not. Definitely bug.

----- I still miss --- you can suggest more if you want
- magnification help for MF in video mode
- with Samsung lenses: camera does not remember focus settings between modes - eg. manual focus should remains manual focus even I switch between photo/video mode. 
- crop in video mode

- RAW video

​I doubt the camera can shoot at 240 fps in 1080p. The sensor read rate is 240 fps, but that would leave no time from processing, so the maximum practical read rate is probably 120fps at 1080p and less at 4K. Since 4K would need ~4X the processing, it would work out to 120/4 = 30, or what we currently get). That is likely the limit of what the hardware can do short of dropping significant quality. It might be possible with a crop though, since the camera can effectively disregard a large chunk of the data.

4K60p will require the next generation of hardware IMO.

Video Recording Enhancements:
  • Larger sensor read out data size with improved FHD quality up to 60P

I have briefly checked new firmware:

- Quality of 1080p60fps is better - image is more detailed and bitrate in highest settings is now

80mbit/s

(40mbit/s before), still aliasing

So they are listening.  This is what I put forward (among others probably).  A half way house between bad detail and bad rolling shutter: acceptable both.  Obviously its imposible to eliminate aliasing with line skipping but perhaps it isn't as bad as before?  It will be very interesting to see tests of this.

The sound with 120fps is also realy cool.

> "Count Up: Rec run / automatic restart when shooting / Free run"

That looks like a really big thing for me!! I'd have much rather wished it got rid entirely of the video time limit, but that is the next best! :-D

Could somebody test this out for me?

Also remind me, the NX1 does still have focus peaking and focus assist and histograms will recording?

UPDATE:

- Quality of 1080p60fps is much better - image is more detailed and bitrate in highest settings is now 80mbit/s (40mbit/s before)! Expect aliasing it is very nice!
- there is now direct mode for 1080p120fps, so it is now recording also sound and all 120 frames - not just slowmo 60fps
- great that video standby mode remains after video recording
- AF is probably better, but too soon to say (I just have 30mmf2, probably better with 16-50S)

Audio Gain can be switched on/off. With switched off is audio completely OK and even setting mic. levels during recording is without interupting of audio as before (but it could be more fluent)

- Low light performance is probably better too

----- I still miss (realistic expectations) --- 
- magnification help for MF in video mode + customization of this feature would be nice eg. magnified image would not cover whole screen but only selected part (using touch screen)
- crop in video mode
- slowmotion on custom buttons / switching between two favourite video modes
- fluent changing microphone gain levels during recording (not skipping)

----- I still miss (no so realistic expectations)
- RAW video

----- new bugs ---
- in 1/2 slowmotion mode for 1080p60fps video standby mode works just couple of seconds and it returns back to photo mode. Changing resolution means camera's crash (removing battery is necessary). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ahoIXyQZ4w

​Andrew, any chance you could pass this to Samsung developers?

YIKES!!!

Just got back from reading the comments on DPReview, regarding the 1.30 update. Jeez, it's already eroded into a flame war with members fighting over everything from VHS vs. Beta, to Sony/Samsung washing machines. Basically anything but the new firmware.

In contrast, EOSHD community members are actually testing and discussing the firmware in a civil manner.

Gotta say, we've a good thing going on here, fellas/ladies. I'm pleased to be a part of this community.

image.jpg

​Here is updated wish list

----- I still miss (realistic expectations) --- 

- magnification focus assist for MF in video mode + customization of this feature would be nice (eg. magnified image would not cover whole screen but only selected part (using touch screen)) seehttp://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/DSC01519.jpg
- with Samsung lenses: camera does not remember focus settings between modes + it still jumps from MF to AF setting after recording (it should not still return back to default AF) - eg. manual focus should remains manual focus even I switch between photo/video mode or I stop recording.

- with MF lenses: focus peaking should be permanently on or off (it should not still return back to default). Now it neccessary to turn on peaking always after record is finished.  - these issues above mean that user cannot record video with EVF and focus peaking!

- crop in video mode
- slowmotion on custom buttons / switching between two favourite video modes
- fluent changing microphone gain levels during recording (not stepping)

----- I still miss (no so realistic expectations)
- RAW video

This new bug should be fixed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ahoIXyQZ4w

​Yes, it is there "higher bitrate for 4K and 120fps1080p". I think that 80mbits for 1080p60fps is almost OK.

10bit would be great but I really do not believe that they would add something like that... but it would be great anyway. 

I saw that list some time ago, I just wanted to report obvious problems. New features are great but eg. focus assist in video mode or EVF switch are much important for now...

Rolling shutter in 4K is improved.

Audio gain issue is fixed (godsend for doc work)

Nobody is talking about the amazing new feature of this update:

"Added NEW MF Responsiveness mode (Capable of setting to Low, Medium, High focus angle in manual focus mode)."

Customizable focus throw for Samsung lenses! I asked for this in a thread on future updates and they delivered, investing in a 50-150 because of this :)

Overexposed this test a bit, sorry about that.