A good videohead with Arca/Swiss system?

bluefonia

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

image.jpg.5351f7d9a9c6447bd18b546ff89c83I'm a big fan of the KESSLER Qwik release system. It's a little pricier than some other systems like Monfrotto, but it's on a whole other level of quality, stability and ease of use, plus it is Arca-Swiss. You can use the Kessler Kwik system with any tripod/head combo, but the system is best mounted to a flat top head (no integrated speed plate on head) so Kessler's own Hecules 2.0 head is a great option. 100mm bowl, fluid movement, and strong enough to support your camera, slider, or even a crane.

I too was looking for in an Arca-Swiss mount, and made the switch to the Kessler Kwik Release after seeing the ease and strength of the system. Being Acra-Swiss, it of course works with other company's Arca-Swiss systems that I use, like GorillaPod and their BallheadX. I use it on everything: cameras, grip gear, lighting, you name it.

Personally, I couldn't be happier, but give it a look and see if it may work for you. Here's a link and an image of what it looks like:

http://www.kesslercrane.com/kwik-release/

I forgot to mention I use GH4 and G6 cameras, so the Kessler head is much too large. The Kesser Qwik release looks nice, - a bit pricy though. At the moment I`m using Arca/Swiss plates bought on the net and they work very well.

I have two tripods, one slider and three heads with three different mounts. Right now I´m a bit tired of adding "things-on-top-of-things" to get the same system on all heads. Well, the Benro S4P is Arca/Swiss, but the head is - as I mentioned earlier, - useless for panning.

Arca Swiss is probably the most versatile and best value of all quick release systems.

Here's the Really Right Stuff head.  It seems a little expensive for the small amount of weight it holds.

There is also hybrid  the Acratech Video Ballhead 7100.

Here is the inexpensive Custom Brackets Tilt Head AS.

Of course, you could just get inexpensive Arca Swiss clamps for each of one of your heads for about $8 apiece, but you apparently don't want to go that route.

@tupp :The RRS head looks really nice, - but the price is also a little too nice for my budget :-). In my country you even have to put 25% sales tax on top of the price. The other two heads, - well, I don't think they will work for me. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe I better get used to put "things-on-top-of-things" if I want to use Arca/Swiss as my general system.

I used this one in the past, I keep going back and forth with AS plates because I hate stacking a couple components that essentially do the same thing, just adds weight and more stuff to fiddle with.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Lever-Release-Clamps/B2-LR-II-Lever-release-clamp.html

The lever QR works really well and doesn't have the issues some of the knob release models encounter when mounting on a video tripod - since some of the knobs extend below the bottom of the clamp. Don't know if there are any cheap knockoffs, RRS doesn't come cheap.

There is a modification for the EI-717 (sells under many names) that turns the head into an arca style clamp.  It's probably the best inexpensive head out there.  I bought mine off ebay with the conversion.  The platform tightening screw is not ideal and when everything is said and done  your probably better off just buying the head you like and getting a arca clamp to attach to it.  As someone else said the lever release styles can avoid some issues you may hit with the normal locking knobs.

Maybe I better get used to put "things-on-top-of-things" if I want to use Arca/Swiss as my general system.

I've been pretty much doing that, it's cheaper and easier this way. However I use native lenses and at most only have a microphone on top, so stability issues might be different with you. 

There is a modification for the EI-717 (sells under many names) that turns the head into an arca style clamp.  It's probably the best inexpensive head out there.  I bought mine off ebay with the conversion.  The platform tightening screw is not ideal and when everything is said and done  your probably better off just buying the head you like and getting a arca clamp to attach to it.  As someone else said the lever release styles can avoid some issues you may hit with the normal locking knobs.

​I actually have a EI-717 head, - the Weifeng edition, - and the legs. My first head/tripod purchase. You are right, the head is a bargain and better than most other low/midrange  heads inclusive Manfrottos i.m.o..

I've been pretty much doing that, it's cheaper and easier this way. However I use native lenses and at most only have a microphone on top, so stability issues might be different with you. 

​I'm beginning to accept that this is how it is going to be for me too. So now I'm starting my search for an upgrade to my head and tripod. I have some questions for that, but it will be in this new thread http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/8620-miller-or-sachtler-headstripods/

Here is a video on that Acratech https://youtu.be/JbUU45AwaPk

​Whoa!  That spokesperson in the video needs to tone it down a few notches!  I think that I might be a little too faint of heart for the follow-up video, "Acratech Ballhead Tension Knob Adjustment."

Seriously, the video you linked is a great find, and it is very informative on the Acratech head.  It's cool how the head can be turned upside-down to use the ball portion for leveling the pan.

Thanks for the link!

The Acratech really does look like a great solution for the hybrid video/stills shooter who also likes to travel light and small.    I might pull the trigger on that and do a proper review.  I'm sure there are others out there looking for similar setups. 

​Manfrotto also has a hybrid head.  Unfortunately, it doesn't use Arca Swiss plates.