MustHD 7" outdoor : What a disappointment

TSV

I finally had the time to test the MustHD 7" on my GH4 outdoor under our heavy summer like weather in Japan (mind XXX sunny)... And as the title underline it and even with the shade, the MustHD 7" is utterly useless outdoor... The screen is a giant 7" mirror. The GH4 Screen utterly outperform the MustHD Screen in this aspect.

I am sure that there are other MustHD owners here and I would much appreciate their feedback, but having a "filed monitor" not capable to cop with the sun is really a huge disappointment for me. :(

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for sharing.

It seems like all the cheep field monitors - MustHD, Aputure and so - have problems in sunlight. I guess even the more expensive ones like Small are having the same issues unless you spend $2.499 on a Small DP7-PRO HIGH BRIGHT.  

Maybe the MustHD 5,6" would work better as the 5,6" sunshade might cover more of your face and then provide more shade on the screen. But then again, this might bring your face too close to the screen and make it impossible for the eyes to focus. So these types of monitors seem to work indoors, but not outdoors.

Though it is a lot more expensive I´ll wait for the SmallHD Sidefinder. Think this one will be an investment in line with good lenses.

Thanks for sharing.

It seems like all the cheep field monitors - MustHD, Aputure and so - have problems in sunlight. I guess even the more expensive ones like Small are having the same issues unless you spend $2.499 on a Small DP7-PRO HIGH BRIGHT.  

Maybe the MustHD 5,6" would work better as the 5,6" sunshade might cover more of your face and then provide more shade on the screen. But then again, this might bring your face too close to the screen and make it impossible for the eyes to focus. So these types of monitors seem to work indoors, but not outdoors.

Though it is a lot more expensive I´ll wait for the SmallHD Sidefinder. Think this one will be an investment in line with good lenses.

​You are welcome. And yep the SmallHD Sidefinder maybe the best solution for us... I will see how it goes.

The Aputure VS-2 is no good in the sun either? I was thinking of buying it :(

​I have not tried the Aputure myself, but quite a few reviews say it is not good. If you compare the specs of the two, you will see that contrast, luminance and so are pretty much equal, so my best guess is they are quite equal in day/sunlight.

By the way, here is what I use at the moment on my G6, - and it works like a charm.Shade.thumb.jpg.f58ea9096f640e5076f51d4d

It is a cheep $20 loupe. I,ve glued a piece of bicycle tube to the top of the loupe and put some velcro on the bottom. This makes it easy to mount/dismount the loupe. Maybe not be the best longterm solution as you might break the hinge on the monitor. Anyways I have been carefull/lucky and after 6 month it's still working :),

Aaaaah to bad :(

I'm not happy, because I have just made up my mind to shell out 400€ for MustHD 7" thinking that it's actually usable outside with it's sunshade.

Didn't want to go really cheap on the monitor, so thought that MustHD 7" should be pretty decent for that price, and usable outdoor, I expected nothing special just to see what I am doing and to see the peaking.

But, what about using something like this on the mustHD 7" monitor? This is just an example, just to see what I am aiming at:

http://hoodmanusa.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HRSAL

There are various models all over the internet for various sizes of monitors, you just need o find the right one.

In a few weeks/months, Blackmagic is releasing its Video Assist which is a 5" £350 monitor/recorder. I assume it'll be quite similar to whats on the Ursa, and so should be usable in bright light. Another option is the 5" SmallHD Sidefinder Viewfinder (field monitor with flip-out viewfinder) for £260.

Bluefonia's solution is currently the most efficient :D

Aaaaah to bad :(

I'm not happy, because I have just made up my mind to shell out 400€ for MustHD 7" thinking that it's actually usable outside with it's sunshade.

Didn't want to go really cheap on the monitor, so thought that MustHD 7" should be pretty decent for that price, and usable outdoor, I expected nothing special just to see what I am doing and to see the peaking.

But, what about using something like this on the mustHD 7" monitor? This is just an example, just to see what I am aiming at:

http://hoodmanusa.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HRSAL

There are various models all over the internet for various sizes of monitors, you just need o find the right one.

​Something like this would work, but definitively not portable in my case.

In a few weeks/months, Blackmagic is releasing its Video Assist which is a 5" £350 monitor/recorder. I assume it'll be quite similar to whats on the Ursa, and so should be usable in bright light. Another option is the 5" SmallHD Sidefinder Viewfinder (field monitor with flip-out viewfinder) for £260.

Bluefonia's solution is currently the most efficient :D

If only it were £260, lol.

Well... I've had the MustHD 7" for a year, I've used it in sunny Spain dozens of times, and IMHO it isn't "useless". It is quite reflective, but with the hood on you can see the screen well enough to still work with it. Of course, if it is directly reflecting the sun behind you, it can turn into a "mirror", but I work in 95% of the cases with the sun in front of me (behind the talent). In those cases it works fine outdoors. What I don't like is the focus assist of the old version, with no color peaking. My screen came with a dead pixel in the middle, after loads of emails they never gave me a real solution, just a send it back to China and we will check it out, but you pay for everything. They also told me that they were going to update the firmware constantly a year ago... Still waiting.

So IMO, not a bad screen indoors and outdoors, quite good for the price, but a dodgy company behind it.

Well... I've had the MustHD 7" for a year, I've used it in sunny Spain dozens of times, and IMHO it isn't "useless". It is quite reflective, but with the hood on you can see the screen well enough to still work with it. Of course, if it is directly reflecting the sun behind you, it can turn into a "mirror", but I work in 95% of the cases with the sun in front of me (behind the talent). In those cases it works fine outdoors. What I don't like is the focus assist of the old version, with no color peaking. My screen came with a dead pixel in the middle, after loads of emails they never gave me a real solution, just a send it back to China and we will check it out, but you pay for everything. They also told me that they were going to update the firmware constantly a year ago... Still waiting.

So IMO, not a bad screen indoors and outdoors, quite good for the price, but a dodgy company behind it.

​Hi John.

My mother spent most of her life in Spain and I've been pretty much everywhere (including Portugal for surfing) even at Bardenas Reales (Gorgeous by the way). But the sun there is still milder than in Japan or, worse, Hong Kong (been living there quite some times).

Here you are two pictures below to show how bad this screen is and why you should avoid it. The one with the car park represent the best scenario, the second, the worse. So far I am using this Monitor as a monitor once the shoot is done to make sure if I have to reshoot or not.

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4807.JPG