Final Cut pro X vs adobe premiere pro CC

O photo

I'm a Profesional photoshop retoucher, and latly I'm getting into video editing, very basically I have been using on trial mode FCPX and find it really easy and intuitive to use, by the other hand I just had a  quick look at premiere and it looks quite complex. Please correct me if im wrong.

i think the advantage  of premiere is integrating Adobe After effects, and maybe photoshop footage ( not sure), that I probably will be end up using. 

my my question is should I invest in FCPX or should I go with premiere even though it's complexity and higher cost.

also, do get the same amount of grading plugins on premiere then in FCPX ?  I have seen realy cool gradient effects for FCPX that I haven't seen form Adone Premiere. 

Please help, I don't know where to invest my time and money 

Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm a Profesional photoshop retoucher, and latly I'm getting into video editing, very basically I have been using on trial mode FCPX and find it really easy and intuitive to use, by the other hand I just had a  quick look at premiere and it looks quite complex. Please correct me if im wrong.

i think the advantage  of premiere is integrating Adobe After effects, and maybe photoshop footage ( not sure), that I probably will be end up using. 

my my question is should I invest in FCPX or should I go with premiere even though it's complexity and higher cost.

also, do get the same amount of grading plugins on premiere then in FCPX ?  I have seen realy cool gradient effects for FCPX that I haven't seen form Adone Premiere. 

Please help, I don't know where to invest my time and money 

Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

Choose which you feel better, both are great tools; I'm a Adobe user but FCPX has been improving over the time and i really like the interface more than the Premiere Pro but I'm already used to Premiere.

In your case my recommendation it go for the FCPX because is a lot cheaper and at the end both make the task.

I like Premiere because it was obvious where everything was, even if it wasn't particularly efficient at anything. FCPX at first seems unintuitive because it's so different, but they save you a lot of time once you learn them. In terms of design FCPX looks like its going towards the future, whereas Premiere just wants to stay the same.

This philosophy trickles into the code base as well. Adobe refuses to rebuild Premiere, they just keep stacking code on code which creates tons of bugs.I found so many bugs with Premiere and corrupted projects that I just bought FCPX and never touched premiere again. Premiere ranks with some of the worst product experiences I've had, and the other two are Microsoft (Windows OS and Bing Ads).

Thanks all for Your advice ! Ill stick to FCPX 

If your already decided, certainly act on it, but I actually migrated the other way. I started in FCP5 and loved it through 7. A fanboy for sure. When FCPX dropped, I was really excited. It looked slick and I was excited to try something different, but in end it didn't seem to work for me (granted, it has gotten better since). Since I already used and owned Adobe software (AfterEffects, Photoshop, Illustrator), I figured I'd give it a go and I haven't looked back.

I ended up really liking the way all the different programs effortlessly synced together, which made a profoundly positive difference in the speed and efficiency of my workflow. Additionally, Motion doesn't even hold a candle to AfterEffects. Even when I used FCP, I used AfterEffects, awful round-tripping and all.

All that said, they both are great tools and there's nothing that says you have to stick to just one. Aside from having a favorite, and we all do, any editor worth his salt should be able to work in the big three: AVID, FCP/X, Premiere Pro. (With a +1 for Davinci, who's really had some growth in the editor features department.) Good news is, they all have free versions/trials, so go play, my friend!

I'd be interested to see which you one/ones you end with, so keep us posted.  =]

*Oh, and welcome to the community!

One thing I forgot to add is FCP X for all its greatness does not have curve for exposure. It only handles shadows, mids and highlights with 3 fixed points (I assume which means linearly). This looks really weird to me and I need to find some plugin because it's not enough. Anyone have any tips?

Personally I use Premiere due to it's photoshop/After Effects/Speedgrade intergration. I like the idea behind the method that FCPX uses, but I work on PC systems that I build myself, so it's not an option.

​Geoff hits on another good point.  He uses the Adobe suite in a PC environment, I use it on a mac.  (This is actually a really huge benefit in contrast to FCPX.)  I could send Geoff my assets and project files from a project we're working on together, and though we work on different systems - Mac/Windows, he can access everything and immediately start working in a Windows environment, without missing beat.  I've had to do this several times, and though I now it for granted, it's a wonderful "feature".

One thing I forgot to add is FCP X for all its greatness does not have curve for exposure. It only handles shadows, mids and highlights with 3 fixed points (I assume which means linearly). This looks really weird to me and I need to find some plugin because it's not enough. Anyone have any tips?

​Yes, here it is: http://try.colorgradingcentral.com/colorfinale/

Besides curves Colorfinale also has LUTs, 6 vectors, color wheels. You can put in as many layers as you like. There is a 7 days free trial version. 

How is Colorista for FCX?

​A foreign object. Either you grade quickly and dirty ("intuitively") within FCP X or with Color Finale (which fits seamlessly, even more so since CC became an effect in FCP X) - or you roundtrip to Resolve. My opinion.

Cool, thanks guys. Out of curiosity, what is bad about Colorista? It looks pretty straight forward and it's relatively inexpensive.

​As plugin, it has an alien GUI within FCP X. If you know what you do, you can do a lot with the built-in colorboard or Color Finale. It depends on how deep you want to delve into the colors. Resolve is free, it's not too hard to learn it's basics, and they are constantly improving the workflow with FCP X (where you just edit), Once you have your XML in Resolve, it's much faster than FCP X, because in the color tab you can easily jump from clip to clip in the timeline, load reference grades as split screens (to better compare with ungradet clips), group clips, copy grades from previous clip, asf.

We are now only discussing FCP X vs. Premiere CC, but there could be a third option from July on: Resolve 12, with much improved editing functions - including sychronisation of external audio, multicam, an audio mixer. Okay, it's 'track based' like Premiere, but if I want to shove clips back and forth in independant tracks, I can as well do that for free.