Upgrading to the NX1 from Canon, ideas?

sandro

Someone on the DPReview forum was having issues with the 16-50 PZ switching back to autofocus. I'm not sure if it was fixed in FW 1.30 or not. 

It's not fixed, I'm using that version. It clearly shows that who tested it is not interested in the video part since its a pretty important feature for someone who shoots manual.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's not fixed, I'm using that version. It clearly shows that who tested it is not interested in the video part since its a pretty important feature for someone who shoots manual.

Very good to know. I've been contemplating getting the 16-50 PZ in case I absolutely have to have autofocus. 

BTW- I have the EF-S mount Tokina 11-16 mk2. Works beautifully on the NX1 because it's decently sharp wide open. However, I like the idea mentioned previously in this thread of using 3rd party F mount lenses with the NX-Nikon G adapter so that I could have aperture control. I'll probably sell my EF mount Sigma and Tokina and get the F mount versions. Can anyone confirm that this config works well? It would be a game changer if it did. 

​I was thinking of getting this setup, would u be so kind to share some shots/footage ?!

Sure. These are straight out of camera - compressed to jpg from RAW. The vignette in the first image is from the EF-NX iris adapter - it was stopped down about halfway through the iris's range. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

One thing I don't get about the bad high ISO quality is that instead of digital noise/grain you get that horrible banding and green-y image. I doubt this could be fixed with FW updates, the sensor is just not for low light at all.

Sure. These are straight out of camera - compressed to jpg from RAW. The vignette in the first image is from the EF-NX iris adapter - it was stopped down about halfway through the iris's range. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

​Can you post some other pics ? Maybe landscape/portraits if possible. Its hard to check how the lens handles on those artistic ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what you are beginning to realize is the Samsung NX1 isn’t a free lunch.  They can knock $200-$300 off the retail price but they more than make it back when you have to buy their lenses.  I have a BMPCC and BMPCC EF Speedbooster.  I could go out and sell them both and add $100-$200 and get a Samsung NX1, but I would end up hemorrhaging cash buying Samsung specific lenses.

The Canon 18-55mm 2.8 is $800.  Samsung doesn’t have anything comparable.  You have to spend over 60% more for the Samsung 16-50mm 2-2.8!  Want a cheap OEM nifty fifty?  Canon 50mm 1.8 mk II is $125…  Samsung 45mm 1.8 $256!  Over 100% more!

If you use only manual lenses and have no need for things like aperture control, autofocus, and IS then the NX1 could be for you.  But if you want to replicate Canon functions like IS for a comparable price you are out of luck.

Samsung has made a truly revolutionary product but they haven’t delivered the total package.  Those lens prices need to come way down.

By the way the $300 Canon EF-S 10-18mm is a close focusing monster.  It blows the Tokina 11-16 out of the water in that category and it also has IS for hand held shots.  Plus it is a sharper lens.  Its major downfall is it is slower.  While the Tokina’s low light advantage is obvious to people just looking at the spec sheet the close focusing ability of the Canon EF-S 10-18mm is often overlooked.  In daylight if I am not trying to go for shallow depth of field I would go with the Canon ef-s 10-18mm.  For low light and greater depth of field control for more distant subjects the Tokina is the way to go.  I guess my point is they aren’t really interchangeable lenses.

• Super Members

By the way the $300 Canon EF-S 10-18mm is a close focusing monster.  It blows the Tokina 11-16 out of the water in that category and it also has IS for hand held shots.  Plus it is a sharper lens.  Its major downfall is it is slower.  While the Tokina’s low light advantage is obvious to people just looking at the spec sheet the close focusing ability of the Canon EF-S 10-18mm is often overlooked.  In daylight if I am not trying to go for shallow depth of field I would go with the Canon ef-s 10-18mm.  For low light and greater depth of field control for more distant subjects the Tokina is the way to go.  I guess my point is they aren’t really interchangeable lenses.

The Canon is great, to bad it can't be used on the NX because of the electronic focus.

Otherwise it would have been my main pick. I used it on my FS100 with an electronic adapter and the BMCC Ef with great results.

I think what you are beginning to realize is the Samsung NX1 isn’t a free lunch.  They can knock $200-$300 off the retail price but they more than make it back when you have to buy their lenses.  I have a BMPCC and BMPCC EF Speedbooster.  I could go out and sell them both and add $100-$200 and get a Samsung NX1, but I would end up hemorrhaging cash buying Samsung specific lenses.

The Canon 18-55mm 2.8 is $800.  Samsung doesn’t have anything comparable.  You have to spend over 60% more for the Samsung 16-50mm 2-2.8!  Want a cheap OEM nifty fifty?  Canon 50mm 1.8 mk II is $125…  Samsung 45mm 1.8 $256!  Over 100% more!

If you use only manual lenses and have no need for things like aperture control, autofocus, and IS then the NX1 could be for you.  But if you want to replicate Canon functions like IS for a comparable price you are out of luck.

Samsung has made a truly revolutionary product but they haven’t delivered the total package.  Those lens prices need to come way down.

​The Samsung 15-50mm S lens is only a few hundred more. Remember, it is a faster lens than the Canon, and faster lenses increase in price very rapidly. The S lenses are comparable to Canon's L lens range, and those cost in the region of $1.5-2K. The closest equivalent lenses optically for comparative purposes are the 16-35mm F2.8 L or 24-70mm F2.8 L, and those lenses cost a lot more than the Samsung.

Regarding the 45mm F.8, it is optically a much better lens than the Canon 50mm version (an important consideration when you are using a high resolution sensor such as that on the NX1), and it has better build quality. An extra $100 is not a deal breaker, you get what you pay for in that particular case.

When you compare equivalent lenses, the Samsung versions are generally cheaper than the Canon analogs, or offer more features for about the same price.

I have the NX1, I love it for slow motion and 4K and in the right light, it creates a beautiful, detailed images, but you have to REALLY protect your highlights, they blow so easily. The rolloff isn't awful, but in harsh light, it is hard to use. Also, transcoding is a pain and low light is pretty bad. Maybe future upgrades will bring a bit more latitude and other features.

I also have an A7s and that is my go to camera for everything else. If you can spring that little extra cash, it is by far the better camera, imho.

​This has been my experience too after some months with the NX1. Worst of all is frequent aliasing. I simply cannot recommend this camera if your intent is video. NX1 seems to  under perform its specs and I think it's a bust in terms of video capability. Stills is another story. For 3 grand you can get a way better video camera (body plus 16-50 package). 

I pulled out an my old weather worn GH2 today and did some home vids. Looked way way way cleaner and artifact free than the NX1. Samsung needs to get serious about optimizing this cams alleged potential, these firmware updates are just nibbles along the edges, the camera just isn't that good at video, it needs nearly a perfect storm of small lighting ratios and carefully chosen subjects that won't alias to get a good image in video. 

​This has been my experience too after some months with the NX1. Worst of all is frequent aliasing. I simply cannot recommend this camera if your intent is video. NX1 seems to  under perform its specs and I think it's a bust in terms of video capability. Stills is another story. For 3 grand you can get a way better video camera (body plus 16-50 package). 

I pulled out an my old weather worn GH2 today and did some home vids. Looked way way way cleaner and artifact free than the NX1. Samsung needs to get serious about optimizing this cams alleged potential, these firmware updates are just nibbles along the edges, the camera just isn't that good at video, it needs nearly a perfect storm of small lighting ratios and carefully chosen subjects that won't alias to get a good image in video. 

can you post samples of the aliasing problem?

The Canon is great, to bad it can't be used on the NX because of the electronic focus.

Otherwise it would have been my main pick. I used it on my FS100 with an electronic adapter and the BMCC Ef with great results.

​I modded my Canon 17-55mm 2.8 by ripping off the back.  I use it on an EF to BMPCC speedbooster and it works great.  I know you are a BMPCC fan.  Did you happen to do the mod on your Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 and use it with the EF to BMPCC speedbooster?  The reason I ask is I need to know whether the modded lens will hit the front optical element of the speedbooster at the extremes of zooming.

​The Samsung 15-50mm S lens is only a few hundred more. Remember, it is a faster lens than the Canon, and faster lenses increase in price very rapidly. The S lenses are comparable to Canon's L lens range, and those cost in the region of $1.5-2K. The closest equivalent lenses optically for comparative purposes are the 16-35mm F2.8 L or 24-70mm F2.8 L, and those lenses cost a lot more than the Samsung.

I didn’t realize the Samsung 15-50mm S is more like the Canon 16-35mm F2.8 L.  Thanks for the information.  But if the Samsung 15-50 is more like the 16-35mm 2.8 L why would you prefer it over the Canon EF-S 17-55mm 2.8?  The Canon EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 is sharper overall than the Canon 16-35mm 2.8 L.  Why would you pay $500 more for a lens that is less sharp?  This is my problem.  Everyone points out what a great deal the Samsung NX-1 body is but they fail to mention you have to swap out an $800 lens and pay $500 more.  And now you are telling us the lens that costs $500 is less sharp.

Regarding the 45mm F.8, it is optically a much better lens than the Canon 50mm version (an important consideration when you are using a high resolution sensor such as that on the NX1), and it has better build quality. An extra $100 is not a deal breaker, you get what you pay for in that particular case.

I doubt it’s noticeably better.  Do you have a link to this information?  My problem is any company that is a competent lens designer can come up with an excellent 50mm 1.8 lens.  Fast zooms are a different animal.  50mm prime lenses are one of the best understood and least complex lenses to design.  You see this time and time again on internet forums.  People assume that the optical quality of the Canon 50mm 1.8 STM, 1.4 and 1.2 L is vastly different.  Well if you stop down a little they are virtually identical when viewing the final product (print or video).  The big difference between them is build quality, focusing system, and some performance wide open.  I just don’t think at f/2.8 and f/4 any normal person is going to be able to tell them apart.  And don’t get me started on the 4k myth.  I have routinely used Canon 50mm lenses on APS-C bodies with 18+ megapixels for years.  Now 4k is supposed to be stressing these lenses?  Seriously?

Overall my problem with Samsung and a lot of second tier camera makers is the lack of choice.  I mean it’s great if you want to shell out $500 more for build quality and less than a stop faster lens that isn’t as sharp but what if I don’t… or more realistically can’t?  It’s nice to have a cheapy zoom, something in the $800 range and something substantially north of $1,000 on offer.  Considering my BMPCC cost less than $500, $500 is a lot of money to me.  So if you want to spend over $250 on a “cheap” nifty fifty that’s your choice.  But I prefer to have the option of paying something closer to the traditional $100…  like the $125 Canon 50mm 1.8 MK II. I tell every person who has the slightest interest in photography to buy a Canon 50mm 1.8 STM.  At $125 there is no excuse not to own it.  But $256?  That is not a casual purchase.

​I modded my Canon 17-55mm 2.8 by ripping off the back.  I use it on an EF to BMPCC speedbooster and it works great.  I know you are a BMPCC fan.  Did you happen to do the mod on your Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 and use it with the EF to BMPCC speedbooster?  The reason I ask is I need to know whether the modded lens will hit the front optical element of the speedbooster at the extremes of zooming.

I didn’t realize the Samsung 15-50mm S is more like the Canon 16-35mm F2.8 L.  Thanks for the information.  But if the Samsung 15-50 is more like the 16-35mm 2.8 L why would you prefer it over the Canon EF-S 17-55mm 2.8?  The Canon EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 is sharper overall than the Canon 16-35mm 2.8 L.  Why would you pay $500 more for a lens that is less sharp?  This is my problem.  Everyone points out what a great deal the Samsung NX-1 body is but they fail to mention you have to swap out an $800 lens and pay $500 more.  And now you are telling us the lens that costs $500 is less sharp.

I doubt it’s noticeably better.  Do you have a link to this information?  My problem is any company that is a competent lens designer can come up with an excellent 50mm 1.8 lens.  Fast zooms are a different animal.  50mm prime lenses are one of the best understood and least complex lenses to design.  You see this time and time again on internet forums.  People assume that the optical quality of the Canon 50mm 1.8 STM, 1.4 and 1.2 L is vastly different.  Well if you stop down a little they are virtually identical when viewing the final product (print or video).  The big difference between them is build quality, focusing system, and some performance wide open.  I just don’t think at f/2.8 and f/4 any normal person is going to be able to tell them apart.  And don’t get me started on the 4k myth.  I have routinely used Canon 50mm lenses on APS-C bodies with 18+ megapixels for years.  Now 4k is supposed to be stressing these lenses?  Seriously?

Overall my problem with Samsung and a lot of second tier camera makers is the lack of choice.  I mean it’s great if you want to shell out $500 more for build quality and less than a stop faster lens that isn’t as sharp but what if I don’t… or more realistically can’t?  It’s nice to have a cheapy zoom, something in the $800 range and something substantially north of $1,000 on offer.  Considering my BMPCC cost less than $500, $500 is a lot of money to me.  So if you want to spend over $250 on a “cheap” nifty fifty that’s your choice.  But I prefer to have the option of paying something closer to the traditional $100…  like the $125 Canon 50mm 1.8 MK II. I tell every person who has the slightest interest in photography to buy a Canon 50mm 1.8 STM.  At $125 there is no excuse not to own it.  But $256?  That is not a casual purchase.

​For the Samsung 45mm F1.8:

Resolution:

Chromatic aberration:

For the Canon 50mm F1.8:

Resolution:

Chromatic aberration:

The Samsung is clearly the winner.

If you are buying a ~$1500 body, an extra $100 on a lens is trivial.

​Shoot in 4K and deliver in HD. Aliasing isn't a problem then.