Upgrading to the NX1 from Canon, ideas?

sandro

great point for the Nikon f mount since they're all manual anyway... problem is the 10mm won't accept filters and I need to use a CPL filter for nature shooting, it helps a lot. The tokina is expensive :(

I bought the nx1! Next is the 16-50mm apparently if it's better than the 18-55.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes it is, Samsung makes two 16-50mm lenses. One is a cheaper slower version that competes with Canon/Nikon 18-55mm kit lenses, and the other one is a high end very fast F2-2.8 that competes with the lenses like the expensive Canon 17-55mm 2.8, it's bigger, much faster, higher end glass, metal construction, and weather sealed.

1-Samsung 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 power zoom OIS lens: 300$
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/smart-camera-camcorder/lenses/zoom-lenses/EX-ZP1650ZABEP

2-Samsung 16-50mm f/2-2.8 OIS Premium S lens: 1300$
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/smart-camera-camcorder/lenses/zoom-lenses/EX-S1650ASB

Both are said to be very solid and mostly better than their Canon/Nikon peers at their respective ranges.

3-Samsung 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS: 250$
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/smart-camera-camcorder/lenses/zoom-lenses/EX-S1855CSB

Much bigger than the 16-50mm PZ but cheaper, don't know how they compare in quality or usage, It's strange to have two kit lenses aimed at the same use and same price. There must be advantages/disadvantages both ways because only one would exist so I'd research that.

The Nikon 11-16 is probably the easiest/best way to get close.

You can get a used 11-16 v1 for not much more than the 10-18 goes for, and you get a lot in return for the extra money, the fast, constant aperture being the biggest one.

​Yes, just go with the original Tokina 11-16mm for Nikon F mount and get rid of your other UWA. 

Will this adapter show "no lens attached"? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-AI-AIS-F-Lens-to-Samsung-NX-Adapter-NX5-NX10-NX11-NX210-NX300-NX1000-CAP-/321151585263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac6204bef

Is this controlled with a pin on the mount or electronically? I mean will it be a problem is focus getting that warning message or will it disappear? I just got my NX1!

Is fine, I use the same kind of thing with my NX300 and other mirrorless cameras. However that won't work with Nikon G series lenses. But will be fine with the older ones.
(and obviously focus will be MF)

​Problem is the NX1 from what I read won't shoot any pictures or video with no lens attached and you can't disable the warning (eg "shoot without lens"). Are you sure these adapters will make the NX1 think a lens is attached even with no chip on?

You just need to have a bit of patience and shop around a bit for a used ones.

I see 11-16mm mkI's going for anywhere between $300-400, usually right in the middle around $350. 

So not really double unless you buy it new.

Definitely worth the price of admission to get a 2.8 constant lens.

For the tokina 11-16 you'll need a Nikon G adapter. These allow you to change the aperture.

The one adapter you linked to does not have this and would be unable to change teh aperture on the tokina.

You just need to have a bit of patience and shop around a bit for a used ones.

I see 11-16mm mkI's going for anywhere between $300-400, usually right in the middle around $350. 

So not really double unless you buy it new.

Definitely worth the price of admission to get a 2.8 constant lens.

For the tokina 11-16 you'll need a Nikon G adapter. These allow you to change the aperture.

The one adapter you linked to does not have this and would be unable to change teh aperture on the tokina.

​Thanks, 
I don't need that adapter for the Tokina but for an old Nikkor lens. But thanks anyway I didn't know about this!

Will this adapter show "no lens attached"? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-AI-AIS-F-Lens-to-Samsung-NX-Adapter-NX5-NX10-NX11-NX210-NX300-NX1000-CAP-/321151585263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac6204bef

Is this controlled with a pin on the mount or electronically? I mean will it be a problem is focus getting that warning message or will it disappear? I just got my NX1!

​I can't speak for this, but it should work. The image of the rear is out of focus so I can't really tell.

To answer your question: The presence of the lens is trigged by a mechanical switch behind the lens mount. It's located at about 4-5 o'clock position if the lens mount is facing you.

I'm really disappointed with the low light performance, at 1600 and above you start getting awful banding which never happened with the 550D. I wonder why the low light is so bad compared to older camers with 25MP sensors like the Nikon D5300. Also that bug of manual focus with samsung lenses is a PITA.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well, you knew reading the reviews it's not a lowlight monster, but It's a 4K image remember, much more information, including noise. crush it down to D5300 resolution (somewhere between 720p & 1080p) and you'll get much closer performance at high ISOs. Plus, NEAT VIDEO, get it, never shoot lowlight on any camera without it. Would a 4K nikon DSLR with D5300 do better? probably but that doesn't exist. So enjoy your purchase and learn the weaknesses of it and ''cure'' them.

bug with the samsung lens seems like it's unable to handle stabilization + lens electronics + Peaking + audio recording + 7K downscale to 4K + feed to EVF all in realtime at once so it drops the frame rate of the EVF when stressed. This isn't 100% sure and just speculation. They're pretty great with firmware updating so don't worry.

Well, you knew reading the reviews it's not a lowlight monster, but It's a 4K image remember, much more information, including noise. crush it down to D5300 resolution (somewhere between 720p & 1080p) and you'll get much closer performance at high ISOs. Plus, NEAT VIDEO, get it, never shoot lowlight on any camera without it. Would a 4K nikon DSLR with D5300 do better? probably but that doesn't exist. So enjoy your purchase and learn the weaknesses of it and ''cure'' them.

bug with the samsung lens seems like it's unable to handle stabilization + lens electronics + Peaking + audio recording + 7K downscale to 4K + feed to EVF all in realtime at once so it drops the frame rate of the EVF when stressed. This isn't 100% sure and just speculation. They're pretty great with firmware updating so don't worry.

​I'm referring to the fact that when you set manual focus for video when you finish recording it goes back to auto focus... that's an important bug for me.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

really? Isn't there a physical AF/MF switch like on the 18-55mm? report the bug (sorry one of downsides of being an early adapter into a company's first pro camera, the bugs will iron out overtime like REDs, Blackmagics, 5D mkII, through firmware updates.

I though you mean thist: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/8640-bug-samsung-nx1/

really? Isn't there a physical AF/MF switch like on the 18-55mm? report the bug (sorry one of downsides of being an early adapter into a company's first pro camera, the bugs will iron out overtime like REDs, Blackmagics, 5D mkII, through firmware updates.

I though you mean thist: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/8640-bug-samsung-nx1/

​Nope! I'm currently using the 16mm f/2.4 and also the 16-50 that I will get does not have a AF/MF switch on the lens, it's controlled eletronically. The only workaround that I found it to pause the video recording instead of stopping it to keep the manual focus on otherwise you're back to AF every single time!

​the 16-50 that I will get does not have a AF/MF switch on the lens, it's controlled eletronically. The only workaround that I found it to pause the video recording instead of stopping it to keep the manual focus on otherwise you're back to AF every single time!

Someone on the DPReview forum was having issues with the 16-50 PZ switching back to autofocus. I'm not sure if it was fixed in FW 1.30 or not. 

FYI: I did some comparisons between the 16-50 S and my dumb-adapted EF-S mount Sigma 18-35 f1.8 on the NX1.  Sharpness, resolution, and color rendering were noticeably superior on the Sigma, which also had better build quality and zoom ring action. I returned the 16-50 S and am currently using a manual focus-only setup until Sigma or another solid 3rd party (hopefully) begins to make autofocus lenses for NX. 

I upgraded from Canon as well- there have been lots of tricky little workflow things to solve in making the transition.